1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Yuengling: What says you?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by C63AMG, Mar 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hubby is a diehard Yuengling lover but I did finally get him to appreciate FatTire from Co and troeggenator. he is just not so adventurous.
  2. SO overrated. PA brags more on Yuengling than Michigan does for Founders and Bells, or SD does for any one of their many superior breweries.
  3. I enjoy it whenever I come across it. Boggles my mind its not distributed in MASS. From my personal experiences it seems like a lot of people that don't know a whole lot about beer think that its the best beer ever. Why? I do not know.
  4. I enjoy Yuengling when we're in Tampa for holiday. When I'm back in Michigan (enjoying Founders & Bells) we never miss it.
  5. o_O It's really not that complicated...
    It's not extraordinary, it's extraordinary for a macro. Don't compare it to SNPA, compare it to other beers that are similarly cheap and widely-available (and Yuengling is more widely available than SA or SN in my neck of the woods). If you want craft beer, drink craft beer. If you find yourself in a bar/stadium/picnic that only has BMC or Yuengling available, drink the Yuengling.
  6. Maybe you could educate me. What "hype" was associated with Yuengling? Did you expect a lot from a cheap AAL beer?

Cheers!
  7. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,100) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

Maybe hype is the wrong word, but I think I understand what these folks are getting at.

Not too long ago, there was a thread posted on the NW forum from some guy out of NJ who was thinking about bringing out a couple cases of Yuengling for a trip to Portland. He acted as if he was bringing out liquid gold, and in fact there were some Pa. transplants who were pretty excited about it. Here's the thread:

http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/any-yeungling-fans-in-pdx.39098/

I think this is what most people are referring to when they talk about the hype surrounding Yuengling.
  8. MADPolo

MADPolo Initiate (0) Alabama Dec 19, 2012

It is a go to for me when I end up at an establishment that does not offer better choices. As it's bottled here, it is pretty much at any bar, restaurant or event you could attend down here.
  9. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

Not true. I would even go as far to say that a stranger farting in my direction, then giving me a piece of Hubba Bubba for my troubles would beat that.
    BeerIndustry22111 and Stockfan42 like this.
  10. Makes alot more sense when I read it that way.:)
  11. Yuengling is simply the best cheap domestic beer.
    Throwing a party with a lot of people? Yeah you could spend a fortune buying amazing craft beer for everyone, or you can just get a keg of Yueng. (Most) everyone will be happy with it. Compared to all the other swill on the market, Yuengling is the best.
    The Black and Tan is really good, the Porter is solid. Premium, however, sucks, and is not worth the extra dollar for a 6pack
    psuKinger and PsilohsaiBiN like this.
  12. "Premium" was Yuengling's flagship beer for most of the post-Repeal era - the "Traditional Lager" wasn't released until the late 1980's. It's a pretty standard US-style adjunct lager. In NJ (and, I assume, PA - though I haven't looked in decades) it's long been sold in the popular/discount price segment - a few bucks cheaper than a case of "Lager" and all the other Yuengling products. Surprised to read that it's an "extra dollar" in other markets.
  13. Yuengling came to North Carolina...I dunno, 10 years ago? more? At first everyone was like, whats this Chinese beer? But now you can find the Lager in every bar, every store, every where in the state. Even pharmacies carry Yuengling. I saw the Premium for the first time a couple years ago, and yes, it was 1 dollar more than the Lager 6pack. Still is. And its just not worth that price. The Premium tastes...oily almost
  14. I like it. Especially if I'm just "drinking" like at a tailgate or something. However, I think it tastes best out of a can. Don't like it bottled. And don't get the Light version. Horrible.
  15. QFT. In the context of beer, I read the word premium as a synonym for "terrible," and it's never failed me.
  16. baconman91

baconman91 Savant (495) Ohio Dec 13, 2009

-Yeah, give her a go if u get the chance & want to... it's Pretty decent. I'm not a "Yinger" guy anymore....but the Bock, Black & Tan I feel are their best offerings anymore. -- like the above statement, I too: " burned out on Yuengling yrs ago " but..my tastes have changed Greatly over the last few yrs.
  17. Who, where, and when?
  18. Me says Nay! Yuck bro... just yuck! America's oldest swill! Great, just what I wanted! You can have it.
  19. Had it at a wedding reception in Weirton, WV. last year. I chose it over the usual BMC offerings that were to be had, and I thought it was really good. I wish it was more widespread; I'd love to find it at a concert or baseball game instead of the usual suspects.
  20. jettjon

jettjon Savant (455) Florida Jun 3, 2005

I usually only pick it up when it's on sale. Either lager or black and tan typically 9.99 for a 12 pack at Publix is enough for me to pick it up. Great value if you ask me.
  21. mwar

mwar Savant (340) Kentucky Jun 15, 2012

Very well said Sir!
  22. I personally dislike this beer. It's too sweet for my taste. The price per quality is outstanding though. If I HAD to buy a BMC for a race, the beach, etc. it's going to be Rolling Rock in cans. Dirt cheap and very drinkable. I would buy Bud or Coors orig over Yuengling any day.
  23. Jae9979

Jae9979 Aficionado (135) New York Sep 23, 2012

My go to beer on the links
  24. I agree with this.
  25. Distribution is still limited I think because the places that do get it consume the shit out of it. Hell, it just made it to Ohio like three years ago. It's still a big deal there too, heh. I think that's kind of the answer to your question, though, is that people who don't really know beer think it's great cause it is probably different from what they usually drink and it's "special" because you don't see it everywhere, so that gives it some heat. Since they don't know that there's 2000 craft breweries out there that are all "special" because they also have limited distro due to their stature, Yuengling is the one they focus on. I think people really would prefer craft beer over what they normally drink but have no idea it's a "thing" yet, but the worm is gradually turning (I hope).
    Stockfan42 likes this.
  26. I always have a 6 in the fridge. A little less flavor than sam adams, but not too expensive, smooth, and has a great taste in my opinion.
  27. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

I drank a ton of the Premium in college, mainly because the cases had a deposit. So you could go through 7 or 8 cases and then take back the empties for a "free" case. Or just keep stockpiling cases until it was the end of the semester and you were out of money; back go the bottles and you still have beer. Looking back, it was an interesting way of budgeting money, but it got the job done.

The lager remains a go-to when I want a beer and am at a bar that doesn't have craft that I want, because every single non-craft-only bar around here has it. It's so ubiquitous that to get it, all you have to do is order a lager. These situations are becoming less and less frequent, but it does happen. It's also something I can keep around for non-craft-drinking friends and family that I don't mind having in my fridge.

I still pick up cans of Lord Chesterfield when I'm going somewhere that cans are preferable to bottles, mainly because things like camping and boating lend themselves to binge drinking and I can pick these up at any distributor without thinking about it, and people will readily drink them as they are a Yuengling product. When I started getting into craft but couldn't afford it on a regular basis, the Black & Tan graced my fridge more than once. I should revisit that and see if it still holds up - back then I thought it was pretty good.
    Feel_the_Darkness and gengle like this.
  28. Mshull

Mshull Aficionado (195) Ohio Mar 26, 2013

Love drinking yuengling Black and Tan, solid beer for $5.99/6pack
  29. Tut

Tut Savant (390) New York Sep 23, 2004

If it has less flavor than Sam Adams, how can it have a "great taste"? While Sam is always a better option than BMC, I doubt many here would claim it has a great taste, so where does that leave Yeungling?
  30. Terrible. I quite honestly think I'd rather drink a Budweiser, as much as it pains me to say it.

I used to drink the stuff quite regularly (before I really got into the craft world) but that last time I tried it not too long ago, I could hardly bring myself to finish it.
  31. moshea

moshea Savant (430) Michigan Jul 16, 2007

Yuengling light at 3.2 ABV is a damn fine session beer. We can't get it in Michigan. I have fam drive it up form Ohio
  32. Mshull

Mshull Aficionado (195) Ohio Mar 26, 2013

I wonder if people ever tried to trade for it back when it was in Pennsylvania only?
  33. Yuengling was available in non-PA states since the 1800’s. Did they trade beer in the 1800’s?:confused:

Cheers!
    paulys55 and BrettHead like this.
  34. Tut

Just did a random check on a bunch of the posters singing Yeungling's praises and almost every one of them is a newbie over the last year, with quite a few joining within a few weeks or months.

Anyone care to draw a conclusion here?
    Uniobrew31 likes this.
  35. Tut

Talk about a serious waste of gas.:rolleyes:
  36. MatthewPlus

MatthewPlus Savant (335) Florida Jan 2, 2013

Conclusion:
    One's palate and worthiness of opinion is unquestionably analogous to their join date on Beer Advocate.:rolleyes:
    a_beckman25 and jbdpsu82 like this.
  37. jbdpsu82

jbdpsu82 Savant (380) Pennsylvania Aug 28, 2012

They make a delicious seasonal called Bock.

Also, their Porter BBQ sauce is incredible
  38. Since this a “Zombie Thread” my recollection is a bit fuzzy but I think that ShanePB made a fair statement in his post of: “I enjoy a Yuengling Traditional Lager and will gladly take one when it's offered, or there's no craft on-tap.”

I go to parties and it is not unusual that Yuengling Lager if offered. I accept the host’s hospitality and I drink the beer with a smile on my face. Yuengling Lager is not craft in my opinion but it is a drinkable AAL beer.

Cheers!
    jbdpsu82 likes this.
  39. Hockey_Fan

Hockey_Fan Advocate (510) Maryland Jan 13, 2013

Does new to this site mean new to craft beer?
    Givemebeer and jbdpsu82 like this.
  40. Tut

While opinions are always just that, palates develop with increasing exposure to good craft beer. The point is that most longtime craft drinkers don't consider Yeungling a very good beer. It serves a purpose as a gateway beer, but it's not close to craft.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.