1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

ZBF 2012

Discussion in 'Benelux' started by patto1ro, Apr 29, 2012.

1. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

mmm . . . cask lambic.

JoeinUccle, Zimbo and Chaz like this.
  2. Tasty! I had a range of bottled lambics at the 'Night of the Great Thirst' on Friday. Pretty good stuff - it was nice to have the opportunity to try so many in one place (given how hard they are to find back home).
    How was the ZBF?
  3. arollins

arollins Aspirant (35) May 7, 2012

I'm glad that I made it to both, Thirst and ZBF, at least I manage to try most of the lambics that were on ZBF. My favorite was Embrasse aged on Oak Barrel, it was the winner of the 2011 fest. Liked so much I bought 4 of them.
    Will certainly go to 2013
  4. patto1ro

It was great to be able to drink so many proper flat lambics at the ZBF. The only place I've seen a better selection was at the Opstal festival. The ZBF reminded me of how much I love that type of beer.
  5. 3frog

3frog Aficionado (245) Arizona May 13, 2006

How were the logistics getting to/from the event itself? Obviously, it was a bit farther from the train than in St Niklaas, but I assume it wasn't a problem?

Had the Peated OA Embrasse at the Brugge fest this year, and it was at/very near the top of my list, too.
  6. patto1ro

The hall is in the middle of nowhere on the edge of town. But, they had a free bus service with proper town buses that was pretty good. It would have helped if I'd realiised they went from the normal bus station. It was much better than the minibus services run by volunteers some Belgian festivals have. I've always found those hit and miss.

For the first time they had enough space and enough seats. A huge improvement. In past years, I'd often just get beers from the stands that were close by. It took too long to push through the crowds for it to be worth fetching beer from distant stands. Not a problem this year.
  7. 3frog

3frog Aficionado (245) Arizona May 13, 2006

That's excellent to hear. In the past, it seemed like I burned more calories getting to distant stands than I consumed when drinking the beer...