1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Zero Gravity High Gravity Beer

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by GabeQ, Apr 4, 2013.

1. GabeQ

GabeQ Aficionado (160) Tennessee Feb 13, 2013

Any chemists/ physicists out there consider the possibility of brewing in a zero-gravity environment? What if anything could this change? Probably a cloudier beer if unfiltered. Just a daydream as I avoid a research paper.
    inchrisin likes this.
  2. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

Yeast In Space, now there is a project that deserves some taxpayer money.
    RichFellows and Beerontwowheels like this.
  3. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Advocate (515) Vermont Mar 10, 2006

Belgian brewers sent some yeast into space with the shuttle during the early 1990's to see how they behaved, as described in Papazian's "Homebrewers Companion".
  4. rmalinowski4

rmalinowski4 Savant (330) Illinois Oct 22, 2010

Far out, that would be out of this world.
    Duff27 likes this.
  5. I see the gravity of the situation...get back to work :p
  6. The first thing that comes to mind is that as the yeast produces CO2, the CO2 wouldn't be buoyant and float out the top, it would just become a bigger and bigger foamy mess.
  7. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Too bad NASA ain't doin' squat these days.
  8. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (425) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

I have a new take on the term hop rocket now.

What's boiling temp in space? It's got to be under 100F. Maybe not in s pressurized space shuttle, but--the boil is going to be quite messy anyway.
    NiceFly likes this.
  9. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (780) Texas May 21, 2010

They'll need someone who is bold, young, adventurous, and of course, good looking, who knows how to brew, and is willing to be blasted into space with their homebrew kit, some water, yeast, hops, and some grains. We'll have to adapt my kit a little for the no-gravity thing, and I'll need a TV and some beer and wings for the waiting periods... :D
    cavedave likes this.
  10. At this point due to the current NASA budget you'll probably have to get Redbull to fund this idea.