1. The BeerAdvocate Store is back! Pre-order your stuff now. Items begin shipping Dec 15. Christmas deadline = Dec 18 @ 5pm EST.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Zihuatenejo ~ Cerveza artesanal?

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by msubulldog25, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Buenos días, amigos:

My wife and I are planning a vacation from Oregon (USA) to Zihuatenejo in January 2013. I can't find anything on Beerfly listings for the city, but maybe someone knows where we can find good Mexican craft beer in the area? Anything besides Corona/Grupo Modelo or US Imports?

Muchas gracias,
    Brian

2. juankzas

juankzas Aficionado (230) Mexico Jun 13, 2008

Good day,

I'm sorry but I don't think you'll find anything besides Modelo/CCM commercial brands down there.

Your best bet will be drinking tequila or mezcal. There's a "La Europea" store in Ixtapa, those stores normally carry the best selection. The address is: Calle Veleros Lote 5 Local 4, Col. Marina, Ixtapa Zihuatanejo

Are you flying straight to Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo airport or will have a connection somewhere else in México??

Cheers

3. Looks like we'll be flying Portland (PDX) ---> LAX ---> ZIH (and same route in reverse to get home)

Thanks for the tip re: La Europea... we can both enjoy some tequila if the cerveza choices don't satisfy us :)

Cheers,
    Brian

PS: I read your trip reports of Seattle & Portland... sounds like you had a great time!

4. juankzas

If you like tequila try mezcal, Guerrero (the state where Zihuatanejo is) produces some great mezcales

Great time indeed

Cheers

5. Juankzas: We booked our trip to Zihuatanejo last week - will be there 26-31 enero.
    Can you recommend any particular mezcal brands to look for (I don't believe I've ever tried a mezcal)? My wife & I do like tequila, too...

Is there really no craft beer in the area whatsoever? A damn shame. I guess I'll drink Coronas or Negra Modelos and go with it...:)

Thx,
    Brian

6. juankzas

Brian, mezcalwise if you want to taste the real flavors of the agave always buy white (young) mezcal, the barrel "kill" the true flavors.

I don't know which brands will you find in Zihuatanejo, but some that good ones are: Alipús (there are four varieties, San Baltazar is the hardest one to drink, has some acetone character), Los Danzantes, Siete Misterios, Marca Negra, Mezcales de Leyenda (Tlacuache, Murciélago and Nauyaca), Real Minero, Pierde Almas, Santa Pedrera, El Tinieblo, Unión. Those are the brands I know of, we are having a mezcal-boom right now and everiday "borns" a new one.

Bad mezcals (really commercial): Zignum, Benevá, Gusano Rojo, Gusano de Oro.

There's still some time from now to January, I'll check with some friends and if I find something about craft beer in Zihuatanejo I'll let you know.

Cheers

Juan Carlos

7. Juan Carlos:
    Thank you so much... regardless of finding any craft beer this is an extremely helpful list. I hope your friends are able to provide some help, too, re: Zihuatanejo & beer. On my question at TripAdvisor.com, someone responded that 'Bodego Del Tequila' (obvious name? :)) is a good store. Know of any others? I'll take local markets, too.
    ¡Salud!
    B

8. juankzas

Only know about La Europea.

I don't know about Bodega del Tequila, just be careful and don't buy suspicious tequilas in plastic bottles, people trying to sell'em will tell you are made in a small factory in Tequila from a fifth generation person, bla, bla, bla, don't buy their lies.

9. I'm going to Zihuatanejo a week from now; if I spot any decent beers I'll fill you in.

10. Thanks... will gladly take any beer/shopping recs... also any places for lunch/dinner/relaxing.
    Have a good trip!
    B

11. Well, it is a bit of a craft beer desert here. There are some Mexican brands that I haven't seen in the U.S., so if you can find it give Leon or Bohemia Obscura a try (both Modelo/CCM, but good). I've also run across a few Uruguayan brands in the supermarket (hit the Comercial Mexicana on the east side of Zihua for nice air-conditioned shopping).

For breakfast/lunch, you can't beat Carmelita's downtown and La Bocana near Playa la Ropa. There are also a lot of good cheap places on Playa la Madera downtown, where you can have a bucket of cold cervezas and watch the waves on the beach. Not exactly craft beer, but perfect for the setting.

msubulldog25 likes this.
  12. TicoCali

TicoCali Savant (460) California Jul 25, 2010

I`ve seen a Mexican craft brewery before in cans but I can't remember the name of it but I know one of their beers its called Chupacabra pale ale. Sorry I know, not much help ..maybe s tromeone can correct me ?

Goodluck

13. juankzas

The brewery that makes Chupacabras is Cucapá

14. Zihuatenejo?

When you get there, ask around for Andy and Red. I'm sure they can hook you up with something good!

;)

15. tbm882

tbm882 Aficionado (150) New York Aug 25, 2007

I'll be headed to Zihuatenejo for Xmas, I doubt I'll have any better luck, but I'll let you know if i do..

16. tbm882

tbm882 Aficionado (150) New York Aug 25, 2007

Definitely didn't find any "craft" beers in Zihuatenejo. The closest thing i could find to beers that weren't corona/pacifico were noche buena and bohemia chocolate. Leon was also a decent alternative.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/57/7714
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/57/75134
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/75/8332

Luckily i found this small craft/belgian beer store in Mexico City and stocked up for the rest of our trip.

http://www.labelga.com.mx/

17. Cool, thanks for the update. Will look for those... 23 days & counting 'til our trip!

juankzas likes this.
  18. juankzas

It's a shame you won't be in Mexico City, there are some stores worth a visit

19. Nope, just Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa. Sounds like tbm882 found some OK beers so I'll check out La Comercial Mexicana when we get to town (now only 22 days away! :))

20. Just to report back, we returned from Zihuatanejo late last night and had an excellent vacation. I loved the town/scenery/people and my wife loved the sand/sun/relaxation. I'd already decided before arriving, "f*** it, I'll drink what locals drink"... so I was very happy with Victorias, Negra Modelos, etc while there. Only found Leon at a couple of places; it was pretty good.

The Bodega del Tequila on Calle Vicente Guerrero turned out to be a great find. Although they had no mexcales, the limited tequila selection was solid and the Miravalle Añejo I came home with was the 'score' of the visit. Guy who ran the place was nice (originally from Idaho and lived in California) and was generous with samples... even mixed jarritos to go.

Thanks for all the advice and leads. We'd love to return in another winter or two - the chilly/foggy Oregon weather this morning brought 'reality' back too quickly! :)

Gracias y Salud
    Brian

21. juankzas

Glad you had a great time, kudos to your attitude about drinking and enjoying what locals do!!

Salud