1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Zipps has a table of cellar-ed beer out.

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by JohnSnowNW, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Walked in this morning and they have a table set-up near the back.

Surly Darkness
    Surly Smoke
    Surly Syx

and Founders, Bells, Odell's, Deschutes...etc

Not many, so get there soon.

2. psychotia

psychotia Savant (375) Minnesota Jun 27, 2009

Thanks or the heads-up! Darkness was gone by the time I got there... still Syx, Smoke, Black Ops, and others you mentioned

3. No problem, glad to help.

4. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

What Deschutes/Founders/Odell/Bell's are there?

5. Can't remember all of them but,

Backwoods Bastard, Old Crum
    Expedition Stout
    Saboteur, Meddler, Shennanigans, Deconstruction, Foot Print
    Conflux No. 1

There were more, but that's all I can recall

6. Buebie

Buebie Savant (445) Minnesota Jan 11, 2007

Damn, I wish they would have put this on their FB page. Didnt see this until now.

7. zeledonia

zeledonia Advocate (545) Minnesota Nov 23, 2008

I get the impression that Zipps is intentionally backing away from advertising beer releases and cellar sales over social media, so that their regulars are more likely to get the good stuff. I live close by, and I often stop in, especially on Friday or Saturday evenings, on the chance that they might have put something out. If they do, sweet. If not, I pick up something else.

8. Pretty much. I happened to be there early on Sat...usually go during the week. Anyway, I asked if they had advertised it, and was told that it's such limited quantity that they just didn't want to disappoint people.

9. JAGI410

JAGI410 Aficionado (110) Minnesota Nov 20, 2010

Being an out-of-towner, I knew I wanted to hit a bottle shop before lining up at Surly, so we checked twitter to see if Zipps announced anything. They didn't, so we went and spent a lot of money at Princeton's instead. Last year I went to Zipps for the cellar clearing and it was worth the extra mileage!

10. Buebie

Buebie Savant (445) Minnesota Jan 11, 2007

I live a mile away and consider myself a regular. Although I'm not up there every day.
    So I depend on the announcements that they usually put out.

11. Working in Seward I've made it a habit of stopping by on Fridays and picking up a sixer or bomber just to check for releases. The last 3 times the put up cellar stuff it was not announced. I think they gave up after getting complaints no matter how they managed releases.

12. mnbearsfan

mnbearsfan Savant (415) Minnesota Dec 25, 2009

Damm truck chasers

13. mcritchi

mcritchi Aficionado (110) Minnesota Jan 13, 2010

You're spot on. I spoke with one of the owners in recent months and she said this, essentially. I think it's great as it builds (and strengthens) a local customer base that makes their model healthier and more sustainable long-term. Good for Zipp's.

Overall, I'm liking the fact that more and more stores are saying "no lists" for limited releases and letting their regulars get a chance at the product, not just the "I come in for exclusives" guys. My .02.

lonewolfcry likes this.
  14. Marcazi

Marcazi Disciple (55) Iowa Oct 7, 2013

I was lucky to stop by Zips after getting my wristband at DD and picked up a cart full of stuff we can't get in Iowa, along with one of the bottles of '12 darkness.

15. mnphish

mnphish Savant (375) Minnesota Aug 19, 2012

got a 2010 bigfoot thanks zipps!

16. JMN44

JMN44 Aficionado (165) Minnesota Sep 19, 2013

When liquor stores sell cellared beers do they usually charge the same price as retail or do they increase the price? For example, how much was the '12 Darkness?

17. Depends on the store. Zipps, Ale Jail and France 44 charge same price. I think S. Lyndale adds a buck or two depending on rarity, can't speak for any other stores though.

18. I recall Liquor Barrel at Miracle Mile charging double the price for Abyss a couple years back for the previous years vintage. But they had several bottles and they were priced at $29.99/each (maybe a few cents off).

19. Well Chicago lake just posted 12/13 darkness package for 60$ So it looks like they charge for age as well

20. JMN44

JMN44 Aficionado (165) Minnesota Sep 19, 2013

That's a healthy 100% markup on MSRP for 2012 Darkness!

21. The bottle of '12 Darkness I picked up was $18.99.

22. mkhartnett

mkhartnett Savant (360) Minnesota Oct 27, 2010

I won't be able to get there til tomorrow night. Chances there will still be some good buys?

23. Douggo

Douggo Savant (270) Minnesota Oct 24, 2009

What does everybody think of this practice? Seems like as long as they don't price gouge, it's cool. But I don't know if I'd feel that way if I'd been there last year looking for Darkness and was told they were out, wben they weren't.
    On the third hand, it's an effective way to get more limited releases into the hands of their regulars, which I am not, but I can still respect that.
    On the fourth hand, that kinda gets shot to hell when somebody posts here about it, and the vultures move in.

I need a beer.

24. That's $1 more than they sold it for last year.

25. zeledonia

zeledonia Advocate (545) Minnesota Nov 23, 2008

I think a lot of stores hold bottles back for future cellar sales. Certainly Heritage is known for pulling all sorts of goodies from the cellar, and a few other stores around town do it as well.

I think Zipps is trying to something that's difficult for retailers in the era of Facebook and Twitter: cultivating loyalty in their customer base. They got a lot of flack for various ways they handled releases of limited beers (see this). I think they realized that the one that pisses off the fewest people, and satisfies their core customers most, is to just put the beer out. People come in, maybe word spreads, and the beer gets sold.

Personally, I like it. But then, I'm a regular there, and I benefit from it. I rarely have the time to run around tracking down limited releases. In the past year, I've strolled into Zipps to find a Westy 12 6-pack, Ivan the Terrible, and loads of other goodies. But most times I'm just picking up a mixed sixer or something. There's plenty of good beer to drink.

26. no matter what, someone is gonna get mad.