1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Zoe hops?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by cmmcdonn, Mar 31, 2012.

1. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (355) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

I posted this a few hours before the original site shit the bed and didnt get to see if anyone had answered...

Does anyone know the hop varieties used in Maine's Zoe? After trying it I felt that I hadn't had an imperial ipa with that flavor profile before. I'd like to replicate the general flavor in my own version, but dryhop it Heady Topper style.

C

2. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Advocate (535) Minnesota May 11, 2007

There seems to be no info out there, you could start with tasting and playing around with recipes. You could also try contacting the brewery, sometimes they can be very helpful. Although I wonder if they really want homebrewers contacting them asking for recipe info.

3. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (790) Texas May 21, 2010

I go to a local small brewery that happily tells me what they use to brew their beers. One of the brewers runs a homebrew club too, so is happy to help you clone their stuff. So while this proves nothing, it certainly wouldn't hurt to ask. They may be more helpful than you think.

4. jokelahoma

jokelahoma Savant (450) Missouri May 9, 2004

Off topic a bit, since I know nothing about Zoe, but this contacting the brewery stuff is yet another reason I love Boulevard. Everything is right there on their website, minus the exact percentages of each grain, exact amounts and times of each hop, and them holding your hand and walking you through it. And I mean everything: Color, IBUs, starting and ending gravity, even the carbonation level. While I understand the need to protect some information, I'd love to see more breweries do this.

5. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Savant (375) Maine Oct 28, 2011

Email them- bet they will point you in the right direction.

6. telejunkie

telejunkie Savant (340) Vermont Sep 14, 2007

try Falconer's Flight...okay, actually shooting from the hip here, but i'd say you couldn't go wrong by doing it! :)

7. Maine Beer Company only recently started messing with Falconcer's Flight around the time of their showcase at Novare Res I thought, so I'd say that's probably not what's in Zoe. Could be though. I will say Peeper and Lunch seem to have a very similar hop profile, whereas Zoe is the one the stands out amongst the bunch.

8. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Advocate (535) Minnesota May 11, 2007

There are a few out there. Off the top of my head: Deschutes, Surly, Summit, Widmer