1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Zoeterwoude

Discussion in 'Benelux' started by sethd, Jul 27, 2013.

1. sethd

sethd Disciple (65) New Mexico Nov 11, 2008

Has anyone been to the Heineken brewery in Zoeterwoude? I am spending my honeymoon in France, Belgium, and the Netherlands and wondering if the trip out to Zoeterwoude is worth it. We are spending two nights in Amsterdam. My distributor has set up a private VIP tour but we will have to take a cab to and from the brewery. I was told it would be about 100-120 euro each way and an not sure if it is worth the money. Has anyone had any experience touring this facility? Thanks for any help.

2. trevorjk

trevorjk Savant (330) Netherlands Aug 28, 2009

Amsterdam Central to Leiden Lammenschans. www.ns.nl (also in english) shows that it is 1 hour by train. at the cost of 16.80euro for a round trip per person. Then it is a 3km walk to Heineken from there.

If you are not up for the walk, Bus line 2 from the Lammenschans station will go to Bushalte Leiderdorpsebrug, Leiden, where you will then take Bus line 169 to Bushalte Burg Smeetsweg, Zoeterwoude and then just a short 5-10 minute walk to Heineken. Total bus fair should cost around 6 euro.

(this link should bring you to an english bus route http://9292.nl/en/journeyadvice/sta...zoeterwoude_2382ph/departure/2013-08-28T1358#)

3. trevorjk

trevorjk Savant (330) Netherlands Aug 28, 2009

And to answer your question, i have never toured the facility. Just figured it would give you better options then a taxi.

Also, if you are here before October, Albert Heijn has a 17 euro rail pass that allows you to travel anywhere in Netherlands for a full day. But you will need to print out the ticket.

4. sethd

sethd Disciple (65) New Mexico Nov 11, 2008

Thank you for the information. The train will work out perfectly. I was not sure it would be worth it but the train is definitely the way we will go.

doopiedoopiedoo likes this.
  5. I did a vip-tour also 10 years ago when i work near the brewery. It's big very big!!! A lot of machines and bottles!!!
    It's nice to see how it's works there.
    Everthing is 20 times bigger then a normal brewery!!