1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Zombie dust... #6 really?

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by cgentzkow, May 11, 2013.

1. cgentzkow

cgentzkow Member

I just tried zd for the first time via a trade... Did I get an old batch or is this the most overrated beer right now? Don't get me wrong it was good just not #6 good, maybe top 100... but low in the lineup. I'm just wondering if anyone in Cali feels the same way? We have some good beers don't we? West coast represent!
  2. cgentzkow

cgentzkow Member

Here's my list of pale ales that are way better than zombie:
    1. Row 2
    2. Citra - el Segundo brew co
    3. Dale's
    4. Mirror pond
    5. Stone pale ale
  3. luisc123

luisc123 Member

I thought the same thing. Not that I disliked it but I was so underwhelmed that I'm not even gonna try to trade for three Floyds in the near future. Row 2 and hoppy birthday are much better
  4. Srsly

Srsly Member

I thought ZD was pretty amazing, but i do admit to being a sucker for citra hops. that said, i do like hoppy birthday significantly more, and i'd put ZD and Row 2 pretty close together, with ESBC Citra, and Cismontane's Holy Jim Falls not too far behind. I think all of those are in a different league than stuff like mirror pond, stone pale, Strand 24th st, Alesmith X, Eagle Rock Revolution, and just about all the other pales i've had.
  5. AndrewK

AndrewK Member

The first time I had it was on tap at Three Floyds and was blown away, it was probably the best pale ale id had. In the two years since then the only thing that has touched it is Hoppy Birthday. Row 2 was good, but I am also a sucker for the citra hop, and cascade just cant supply that level of citrus/tropical combo. Still havent had el segundo's though, so Ill hold out the final verdict until then.
  6. henryspam

henryspam Member

I've tried some fresh ones that are legit and old ones (4 months old) that are completely passable.

I am not accusing Three Floyds of anything, but the terms IPA and pale ales are really ambiguous these days. I think they are "dumbing it down" and calling a 6.4% intensely hopped ale as a pale while some other breweries would easily be calling this an IPA. Is ZD the hoppiest pale? Sure....because it's an IPA. Blind Pig is 6.1% and Surly furious is 6.2%. Aside from the rant, here's my 3 favorite pale ales

1, Mirror pond
    2, Drakes 1500
    3, Row 2
  7. tyrsis

tyrsis Member

Row 2? Sure. The rest of those? God no
  8. bugdoc

bugdoc Member

Row 2 is a 100% Simcoe hop pale ale, fyi. Carry on.
    grilledsquid likes this.
  9. mjl21

mjl21 Member

Citra is so yesterday. Get yourself some Mosaic.
    mshen, FUNKPhD, woosterbill and 5 others like this.
  10. kpacedo

kpacedo Member

In my opinion ZD is an excellent IPA, and an even better value. Too bad we have to trade for it.
  11. AndrewK

AndrewK Member

D'oh. It was late, post-drinking, what can I say.
  12. walterfredo

walterfredo Member

Not an IPA
    dwagner003 likes this.
  13. mapleneck

mapleneck Member

I liked Zombie Dust better than Row 2 and 1500.
    I picked up some Drakes Alpha Session and it's worth checking out if you like Row 2.
  14. kpacedo

kpacedo Member

A rose by any other name....
  15. oldp0rt

oldp0rt Member

Might have been an older one? When I had my first one, I was extremely disappointed. A few months after, I tasted very fresh ZD and I almost shit myself it was so good.

Again here I think fresh is the key word especially with those hops.
    jrnyc likes this.
  16. Wowcoolman

Wowcoolman Member

Good thing you posted this on the Pacific forum rather than Great Lakes. They would have shat all over this thread over there.
    j47paco, cgentzkow and jrnyc like this.
  17. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Member

ZD is awesome.
    jrnyc likes this.
  18. jrnyc

jrnyc Member

Maybe you get an old one. ZD is #6 for a reason. I have had Row 2, ZD blows it away.
  19. SHODriver

SHODriver Member

Zombie Dust is 60 IBU and according to the Brewer's Association 2013 Style Guidelines an American IPA will be between 50-70 IBU while the IBU cap for an APA is 50...
    jpeck13 likes this.
  20. evilc

evilc Member

ZD is the best "pale ale" or whatever people want to classify it that I have ever had. I've had around 4 cases total from trading. Some have been off. Most are unreal. There is no beer on the west coast that touches it for the style. Not that I have found.
  21. evilc

evilc Member

I would dump R2 and HB down the drain all day for ZD =)
  22. evilc

evilc Member

PS: If you guys like HB, try Societe's new beer called Publican. It will erase HB from memory.
    OTB and domtronzero like this.
  23. cgentzkow

cgentzkow Member

I threw stone in there just to be funny. I don't think I've had a regular stone pale in 5 years... I'm glad others feel similar. I had another one today and its definitely a good beer, but not that unique or interesting enough to be a top 10 of all time...
  24. walterfredo

walterfredo Member

Fair enough.

I think ZD is an amazing beer.
  25. domtronzero

domtronzero Member

Just for the sake of argument, Zombie Dust is 6.4% abv. The Brewers Association 2013 guidelines list American IPA as having a minimum of 7.5% abv. Not to mention it is listed as an American Pale Ale on this website as well.
  26. evilc

evilc Member

So Sculpin isn't an IPA either? The hell with "styles"! =)
  27. Xul

Xul Member

BA 2013 guidelines say 6.3% - 7.5% for American IPA. The 7.5% minimum is for American IIPA.
  28. domtronzero

domtronzero Member

Oh that's awesome. I totally read the wrong info. I looked at the guidelines cuz i didn't know, and posted just for the sake of conversation. Thanks for the correction though, I was curious as to why there was such a jump in abv between American pale ales and American IPAs. If i read the right info the first time i wouldn't have questioned it.
  29. Thirsty_Rob

Thirsty_Rob Member

Zombie Dust is the best Pale Ale I've had with Row 2 being the runner up. And I love Row 2.
  30. tjensen3618

tjensen3618 Member

Easiest way to make a top 10 pale ale.
    Make a good IPA, call it a Pale Ale.
    paulys55, henryspam and kpacedo like this.
  31. SHODriver

SHODriver Member

I've yet to have it but people usually have good things to say about it. I think APA vs IPA is also kind of like Stout vs Porter when you're talking about higher ABV examples as far as what the brewer chooses to call it
    beerme411 likes this.
  32. jtmartino

jtmartino Member

Yep, an awesome beer. But I'd still rather drink Pupil.
    Beerandraiderfan and domtronzero like this.
  33. SageO

SageO Member

I’m a huge fan of Societe, O’brien’s, and low ABV hoppy beers, so I really wanted to like Publican, but I have to say that I still think Pupil is a more quaffable beer (despite being a full 2% ABV higher). The problem is probably me though – I’m just not the biggest chinook or simcoe fan. I polished off a growler last week of Publican and it was definitely more of a chore than if it had been Pupil.

And I think ZD is definitely a top-tier pale ale. Despite all the great dry SD hoppy beers we have, ZD always manages to surprise me.
  34. besaunders

besaunders Member

I wonder if Rob Hyman or Eric Bazilian drink Zombie Dust?
  35. evilc

evilc Member

Well yeah - same as I'd rather drink Bad Boy than Hoppy Birthday.
  36. mattvandyk

mattvandyk Member

That's consistent with my take on it, too. Even within FFF's lineup, I prefer Dreadnaught, Arctic Panzer, and Permanent Funeral to ZD. I'll tell ya, I don't think Dale's or Stone even hold a candle to ZD (don't know about the others), but I do agree it's probably not a Top 5 beer.

--Matt

P.S. On the freshness front, I can tell ya that while it wasn't poured directly out of the tank, it was purchased about early-April at FFF; it's obviously a high-volume seller for them, so I doubt it's much older than that. ;)
  37. Beerdudenumberone

Beerdudenumberone Member

I must say I almost feel bad for you Cali guys, but you have really good IPA's over there and until you have tried Zombie Dust on tap you haven't had it yet. It is phenomenally better on tap even when compared to a fresh day old in the bottle Zombie Dust
    IMO.
    visualmartyr likes this.
  38. besaunders

besaunders Member

A number of people that post here have been to Three Floyds.
    Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  39. hopsputin

hopsputin Member

never had it. Though, judging from posts, Mirror Pond is just as good - so I'm ok with that (I <3 Mirror Pond)
  40. besaunders

besaunders Member

I disagree with that assessment. After I had some relatively fresh Zombie dust on tap at Floyds*3, I grabbed a few bottles to enjoy at my ultimate destination (I was passing through Munster) and to bring back to CA with me. I don't really get into these comparisons or best lists, but I know I enjoyed it.

On the other than, there are a number of similar IPAs made in these parts that I enjoy a lot, too, so I don't think it really is worth seeking out bottles - especially those that may have sat around months.

Isn't it nice that we can be in California or Indiana and get our hands on locally-made, fresh IPAs? Yay beer!!!