1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Zombie Dust. How far?

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by whodeyvols, Dec 16, 2012.

1. whodeyvols

whodeyvols Aficionado (165) Ohio Sep 2, 2012

Does anyone know how far Zombie Dust is distributed from the FFF brewery? I live in Cincinnati and have seen every other FFF 6 pack in south Indiana but I have never seen ZD. Does it even have a chance of getting this far?

2. From what i know its a brewpub only beer so it does not get distributed.

3. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (780) Florida Feb 1, 2012

It's def not brew pub only.

4. JuniperJesus

JuniperJesus Savant (430) Illinois Feb 26, 2011

Zombie Dust trucks usually get hijacked by paramilitary units near a town called Woodbury, right before you get to the Ohio border.

5. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

I believe it was brewpub only at first, but now they distribute to a few places. I recall hearing of a place in Chicago that was getting some. I've never seen it in a store in NWI, so I have no idea what their distribution footprint looks like for that particular, but it seems like it's like just brewpub and a few select satellite locations. Maybe that will change in the future? We can only hope.

6. ABisonEgo

ABisonEgo Savant (290) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

Ive only seen zd in indiana and chicago. Milwaukee does get like every other three floyds offering except zd. There is, however, one exception: on rare occasion, sometimes a dozen or so barrels make their way into the state of wi.

7. JimDH

JimDH Aficionado (215) Kentucky Feb 7, 2011

You won't find bottles of ZD anywhere between you and Munster. Even at the Chicago stores one needs luck to arrive at the right time.

However kegs of ZD are shipped to Cincinnati. Pay attention on social media to what your local beer bars are pouring. Dutch's tapped a keg of Zombie Dust week before last.

(This should have been posted in the Great Lakes regional forum, by the way. People who know specific information are more likely to see it there.)

8. Molly Malones in Covington had a keg last week. Lasted 5 hours...

9. Unsung

Unsung Aficionado (130) Illinois Mar 6, 2011

Do you want a bottle?

10. whodeyvols

Thanks guys. I was lucky enough to find it on tap three times over the last three months in the Cincy area. Shortly before that i thought i may never get the chance to try it. While it is awesome to see it around here more frequently it has really ramped up my appetite for this incredible beer. May have to end up making a trip one day. Any idea how long ZD stays fresh?

11. I got a 6pk sent to me two weeks ago tomorrow. I had one of my last two bottles last night and I can easily tell the difference from when it was fresh - no exaggeration. It is still an excellent beer, but I will be consuming my other bottle today. Makes me wonder, what do people do with two whole cases of this beer? Hopefully they are hastily trading it to people who can't get it. I wouldn't want that much of it sitting in my fridge getting less awesome over a given amount of time.

BunnyLuvr347 likes this.
  12. jrman1386

jrman1386 Aficionado (245) Illinois Oct 22, 2011

Sals beverage world in Elmhurst gets a consistent supply of ZD, and rarely sell out instantly. They are one of those few satellite stores that receive it.

13. bozodogbreath

bozodogbreath Savant (440) Indiana Oct 19, 2006

There is going to be a bunch of ZD on the shelves in NWI real soon. Could be as early as this week.

14. What's your source for this info? For so long it has been only available at the brewery or Chicago-area stores in bottles and the brewery could barely keep up enough production to satisfy that limited retail distribution, so I'd be surprised to see it having greater distribution now. But I hope you're right.

15. bozodogbreath

I don't know how much it will take to satisfy demand in Norhtwest IN, but my source has been pretty reliable. It may not reach farther, but the areas it does reach should see more.

16. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

At the moment of this posting ZD is Brewery only in Indiana and distributed to Chicago. I have mentally trying to get it distro'd to Indianapolis for quite some time now to no avail. I have HEARD of places in NWI selling ZD but afaik that has all been on the sly.

stayclean likes this.
  17. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

Hell, I once signed up for this one liquor store 40 or so minutes away from me's mailing list, and a few weeks ago the "New Arrivals" email sent out included ZD, ha.

18. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (640) New York Mar 21, 2010

Awesome beer, but this one definitely falls off quickly, fresh is best, the difference in taste is noticeable.

19. Sam_E

Sam_E Aficionado (175) Ohio Oct 11, 2012

I live in NW Ohio and there have been ZD keg sightings in downtown Toledo

20. whodeyvols

As far as I know Ohio does not get ANY 6 packs from Three Floyds. Im sure we would all love to see this change some day. For now at lest we do get some kegs.

21. Sam_E

Sam_E Aficionado (175) Ohio Oct 11, 2012

Yea I've never seen any 6 packs. Only heard once of that ZD keg and I've bought a couple bombers of Gumballhead.

22. JakeT469

JakeT469 Savant (330) Illinois Jan 13, 2012

ZD 6ers at the brewpub and some Chicago/Suburban stores get em bottom line . As far as freshness goes, drink it within a week cuz it's flat and sux after that. ;)

23. Jplachy

Jplachy Aficionado (130) Illinois Feb 12, 2012

Am I too late to write something sarcastic and unhelpful!?!

24. Is there any shop owners in cincy with some sick rockabilly tattoos? If so...yes!!

25. JakeT469

JakeT469 Savant (330) Illinois Jan 13, 2012

Why r u asking? Just do it.

26. Jplachy

Jplachy Aficionado (130) Illinois Feb 12, 2012

Uhhhh....uhhhhh.....ALL THE ZOMBIE DUST BURNED DOWN!

27. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

I don't believe you....

28. bozodogbreath

600 cases.

29. StoutIrish

StoutIrish Savant (305) Indiana Jan 16, 2012

Some buddies of mine in the liquor biz told me ZD is going to start to be distributed in IN this coming year.

30. Bad_Trader

Bad_Trader Initiate (0) Namibia Nov 8, 2012

@Bobbylikesbeer confirms it....

ZOMBIE DUST 6-PACKS to be distributed to Ohio by the end of this month.

31. aasher

I saw that. So you're tell me that Ohio doesn't get any other six packs but you're going to get Zombie Dust? Right....

I've heard the Zombie Dust rumor too many times.

32. MordorMongo

This is all a ploy to keep ZD out of Indianapolis. Spite me, they have.

33. whodeyvols

I find this hard to believe. Especially since we don't get any other 6 packs. But with the recent increas in kegs around here (Cincy) maybe something is around the corner.

aasher likes this.
  34. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (855) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Is it a freshness issue?

35. Westuh

Westuh Savant (345) Wisconsin Oct 9, 2012

2 ZD kegs made it to Milwaukee this past week (whole foods/Yield Bar). Have not heard of cases making it to the distributor of SE WI

36. jampics2

jampics2 Advocate (720) Ohio Dec 19, 2008

Straight from the distributor's mouth (as in the guy). Wouldn't have believed it either but it is 100% legit!

37. aasher

I can confirm that Indy is getting a round of bottles this weekend. Don't know why it took official word to travel so long to Indy but it IS coming.

Shagtastic likes this.
  38. MordorMongo

All my mental energy has won! And it literally is going to happen on the last day ever for our planet! How fitting. ;)

Awesome news though.

39. myersk27

myersk27 Savant (410) Indiana Oct 21, 2011

damn, and i'm out of town....hold me some?

40. denimdemon

denimdemon Savant (420) Indiana Mar 8, 2009

One of Muncie's L-stores tweeted that they got 2 cases today, limit of 3 bottles/customer. So the apocalypse actually DID happen I guess? So while I guess Zombie Dust is making it out of Munster and Chicago, it sounds like it will still be extremely limited...

Skye1024 likes this.