1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Zombie Dust versus Flower Power

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by VitoFerrante, Dec 7, 2012.

1. I just had my first Flower Power. I have been searching for a Zombie Dust killer due to limited availability. I think I found it. Does anyone agree? Blindfolded, I probably would not be able to tell the difference. Oh, BTW... I know the style are technically different, but we all now ZD is an IPA!
    DevilsCups and brewbetter like this.
  2. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

Is Dale's an IPA, too? I think you're comparing apples to orange. Both are excellent, though, but I think I enjoy Flower Power more.
    MagillaGriller and kawilliams81 like this.
  3. zstef99

zstef99 Aficionado (180) New York Dec 25, 2008

I had my first Zombie Dust yesterday and it reminded me of Flower Power. I think I preferred the Zombie Dust slightly, but it was close. I'd have to try them side-by-side to really form an opinion. Agree that the wider availability of Flower Power makes it a solid substitute.

And Zombie Dust is an IPA to me, I don't care what the label says.
    MagillaGriller likes this.
  4. Brew33

Brew33 Advocate (610) Ohio Oct 24, 2007

I love them both and fresh Flower Power is fantastic but ZD is in a class by itself. Probably the best hoppy beer I've tried to date. But they're not at all alike imo.
    LambicKing and Good_Trader like this.
  5. Zombie dust is WAY better in my opinion and its not even close. Both are good but Ithaca has nothing on Three Floyds
    ellswrth, marshmeli and Good_Trader like this.
  6. Three Floyd's can call ZD anything they want, but you give it to a registered beer judge as a blind test and they will tell you they just sampled an IPA.
    MagillaGriller and brewbetter like this.
  7. The only beer I have had that I can relate to ZD's flavor profile would be Toppling Goliath's Pseudo Sue. Great mango and tropical fruit flavors, along with a wonderful body. I'd say TG Sue for the win if comparing the two. IMO, FP isn't even close to ZD.
  8. ZD is my favorite beer of all time BTW (next to Heady). I just can't get it.
  9. HeyJim

HeyJim Savant (385) Pennsylvania Sep 22, 2012

Had Zombie Dust for the first time last night, followed by Flower Power.

Zombie Dust was absolutely delicious, but I'd take Flower Power every time.
    DevilsCups and WagonCircler like this.
  10. JM03

JM03 Initiate (0) Ohio Nov 12, 2010

I've never had them side by side, but from memory I think I'd take Flower Power over ZD.
    DevilsCups and WagonCircler like this.
  11. This is great. I thank everyone for their comments. It looks like 50 / 50 for FP or ZD. Wow. Very cool! Beer geeks unite!!!!
    DevilsCups and kpanter like this.
  12. Yup. ABV, ibus and hopping rate=Ipa. Both great beers.
    MagillaGriller and brewbetter like this.
  13. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (355) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

I would choose FP because I like bitterness to go along with hop aroma and taste. Zombie Dust is a fine beer, but it's a little too "light" in comparison. I'll take a great ipa over a great pale any day.
    WagonCircler likes this.
  14. j47paco

j47paco Savant (310) California Dec 19, 2010

The winner of this head to head battle would be my taste buds! I was really impressed with both of these beers. If forced to decide however, it would be Flower Power by a hair.
    WagonCircler likes this.
  15. Can't go a week w/out a FP thread....shit is blowing up
    DevilsCups and fmccormi like this.
  16. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Both amazing fresh, one isn't better than the other Other IMO, just a little different. Citra Hops IMO is flat out killer.
  17. FP is great...cant wait to try ZD in about a week.
    WagonCircler likes this.
  18. I dont find them to be anything alike. Thinking it would be pretty damn easy to tell them apart blind. My vote goes ZD.
  19. Both are elite class beers. I prefer Zombie Dust.
    But I would never turn down a Flower Power. (In fact I just bought a six pack yesterday)
  20. Bad_Trader

Bad_Trader Initiate (0) Namibia Nov 8, 2012

I contacted Three Floyds to let them know that they mis-labeled Zombie Dust as an APA. I used the OP as a reference point too, but they're just slow around there I guess, because they weren't changing it.
    pschul4 likes this.
  21. Honestly, I would move to Indiana to be able to buy 3 Floyd's beer!
  22. I personally do not see much comparrison. Flower power is one of the lightest body ipa's I've had in a while. Got some flavor to it, but very thin, and goes down like coors light
  23. I drank a Pliny and a BA Speedway the other day.
    caguiar and pschul4 like this.
  24. Yeah this is definitely a tough call.
    I've never had them side by side either and it a really close match up but I'm thinking Zombie Dust FTW.
  25. Creetoper

Creetoper Aficionado (180) Ohio Jul 7, 2011

I remember Flower Power having a much more robust malt backbone and being perceivably sweeter. Zombie Dust is much drier ale. Both are great but I personally don't see the comparison.
    gcamparone and marcgo2 like this.
  26. Hello I'm from Philly and I'm looking to get ahold of some zombie dust. Does anyone know anywhere that I can get it without driving to the brewey ?
  27. I'm the hugest advocate of Flower Power, especially because I'm less than an hour from the brewery and can get a case day old FP for $39, but I would have to give the edge to ZD. They're both amazing, but ZD hits those citrus notes better. But still, I think they taste pretty different.
  28. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

You guys don't want FFF to make an all citra DIPA, it would be bad for every other DIPA that came before it. Look what happens when they make an APA, people think it's an IPA! Also, FP tastes nothing like ZD, and ZD is far and away the better of the two.
    LambicKing likes this.
  29. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (540) Washington Dec 13, 2011

I didn't think Flower Power tasted anything like Zombie Dust.

Flower Power had more like... orange zest/blood orange/citrus like hops and Zombie was more like grapefruit/mango/citrus like hops.

I prefer Zombie Dust. I thought Flower Power tasted more like Great Divide's Titan but less malty. All speaking from memory here though - haven't done side by side.
    gcamparone likes this.
  30. amp138

amp138 Savant (295) Rhode Island Dec 21, 2011

Both are amazing but ZD had this fruity quality to it that I have never had in any other beer. It was so unique.
    rmcnealy likes this.
  31. udubdawg

udubdawg Advocate (505) Kansas Dec 11, 2006

I know, it's totally crazy that someone would call a beer that is well above 6% alcohol, about 60 IBUs, and screams HOPS!, an IPA. And there's so many of these crazy fuckers out there! :rolleyes:

I agree that they don't taste that similar, but disagree that one is far and away the better of the two. They are different, and great. I don't have regular access to either, so I made my own. :cool:

cheers--
    --Michael
  32. Send me some Zombie Dust and I'll let you know! :)

I love Flower Power, it's my favorite IPA of all time. Everything about it is awesome.
    WagonCircler likes this.
  33. They made an IPA and called it an APA, I would go so far as to call AK and ipa as well. It is kind of funny how breweries do this and their beer gets to the top of the reviews.

I would like to try flower power but am in Chicago. While I enjoy Zombie Dust I imagine flower power would have a little more malt characteristic and ibu which might make it more interesting than the one dimensional ZD.
  34. The last thing I will do is hate on craft beer drinkers. But..... Know this. If I blindfolded you, you would
    not tell the difference between ZD and FP. I just did it. Unless my taste buds are destroyed by a Panzer Wolf, I could not tell the difference. No need to hate. Just my thoughts. Thanks for posting folks!
  35. Would u like to try flower power ? Would u trade zombie dust for it?
  36. I like FBS but I think I will take Black Tuesday every time. ;)
  37. 2 totally different beers IMO....Both are great beers....just different...maybe cause I can't get ZD so easily but My vote goes to ZD...
  38. PopnLoads

PopnLoads Savant (415) Illinois Jun 1, 2012

Flower Power is great, but sorry...doesn't hold a candle to Zombie Dust.
    Naterobsnyk4 and jrnyc like this.
  39. MagillaGriller

MagillaGriller Savant (315) Aug 20, 2012

I just pour em in the same glass so neither is offended. My real dilemma is what to call it..
    ZOMBIE POWER
    FLOWER DUST
    BeerLover99, ggfunk, Schwantz and 9 others like this.
  40. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (630) New York Mar 21, 2010

Awesome! These are actually better names for both beers!
    PopnLoads and MagillaGriller like this.