Zombie Dust vs Gumball Head

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by APB, Dec 15, 2012.

1. APB

APB Savant (425) Nebraska Dec 15, 2012

Both of these beers are in my top ten favorites. I live in an area where they are not distributed and have been given the opportunity to pick one or the other from a friend who has them both. I would appreciate everyone's pros or cons to help me with my decision.

Thanks for everyone's time and feedback-

APB

2. airmike

airmike Aficionado (185) Iowa Apr 12, 2011

Gumball is a hopped up wheat beer, zombie is an apa. Both are delicious, gumball is very sessionable, zombie is more intense, but also sessionable.

BeerLover99, OBdave and Rfunk like this.
  3. APB

@air is Three Floyds available in Iowa???

4. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

Do you like Amarillo or Citra better?

I love Amarillo but Citra simply blows it away for me. Zombie Dust everyday of the week.

5. APB

Agreed I just really enjoy the complexity of the Gumball Head it's one of the most interesting "wheat" beers I've had to date. I've also enjoyed 80 acre from Boulevard Brewing its similar but no where near as good. I just unfortunately don't have the luxury of walking to a store that stocks the wonderful works of Three Floyds.

forrestbetts and ABisonEgo like this.
  6. jzand219

jzand219 Aspirant (45) Dec 3, 2012

Zombie Dust, but only if it's fresh. I stopped drinking Gumball Head a long time ago. I'm not a wheat guy, no matter how many hops are added to the batch.

Imacopyouidiot and mcrago like this.
  7. To me, this is not even a comparison. Gumballhead may be good, but Zombie Dust is the bees' knees. It easily lives up to the hype. Also, I may be biased; I'm not a huge fan of wheat beers to begin with, and I love me a pale ale.

Also, the #1 reason I would choose Zombie Dust is because, for me, Gumballhead is not even the best hopped-up wheat beer around. Lagunitas' Little Sumpin' Sumpin' trumps it every time and is more widely available. Zombie Dust is much less available, and is very near the top of its style, if not the apex.

tronto, Lantern, WYVYRN527 and 2 others like this.
  8. Shoo65

Shoo65 Savant (270) Indiana Oct 23, 2011

Not even close, ZD

tdmccarthy, OBdave and Lantern like this.
  9. haddon

haddon Savant (285) Kentucky Jul 13, 2009

Zombie Dust. GH is one of the best wheat beers I've had but great wheat beers don't compare to great APA's to me.

boilermakerbrew and Lantern like this.

10. This.

Lantern likes this.
  11. I love wheat beers, but Zombie Dust is just great.

Lantern likes this.
  12. MPLSbrewer

MPLSbrewer Savant (250) Minnesota Dec 7, 2010

I love both. 2 very different beers, but as far as gumball head goes there aren't any wheat beers that even come close. That's just like, my opinion man

KevinMc79 likes this.
  13. StoutIrish

StoutIrish Savant (340) Indiana Jan 16, 2012

Always ZD. I would take an Alpha King over GumballHead any day.

14. BeerNDoggerel

BeerNDoggerel Savant (340) Illinois Mar 13, 2011

My first sip of Zombie Dust was one of those, '"That's the STUFF!" moments...

Lantern and JulianB like this.
  15. ja1022

ja1022 Aficionado (220) Indiana Sep 27, 2009

Don't get me wrong- Zombie Dust is a solid beer but I get a kick over how it's just blown up. When it was named Cenotaph nobody gave a shit, but give it a catchy name change and it's the greatest beer ever.

Torch away....

16. potteryboy

potteryboy Aficionado (140) Alabama Jul 17, 2009

They are both in my top 10 as well. ZD has my vote, but I'll take a Gumballhead anytime I can get my hands on it. Hope to make a pit stop to Munster over the holidaze. Three cheers for FFF!

17. Zombie Dust. And it's not even close.

Lantern, MichPaul and mcrago like this.
  18. What kind of friend makes you choose?

I would pick Zombie Dust

THANAT0PSIS likes this.
  19. As someone who never had what I'm sure was the very great pleasure of Cenotaph, I will have to say your assertion does not hold for me. Also, while Zombie Dust is cooler, Cenotaph is a fucking sweet name in its own right.

20. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

Gumball Head is a pretty delicious wheat beer, but Zombie Dust is just awesome. It's probably my favorite pale ale.

21. IrishHockey

IrishHockey Savant (250) Indiana Oct 12, 2012

I love zombie dust, but if I had to choose an every day drinker, I'd go Gumball Head. Both are solid brews though. I just find Gumball Head an easier beer to drink. Zombie Dust should be experienced though.

Apom likes this.
  22. ja1022

ja1022 Aficionado (220) Indiana Sep 27, 2009

I live ten minutes from Three Floyds and I was there a lot (when it was easier to get in). Trust me- I'm a fan. Even the staff will tell you, when it was "Cenotaph" it was just another tasty Citra hopped pale, that while it was good, didn't generate anywhere near the buzz it does now.

Credit Three Floyds and their hype machine to come up with a catchy name and image and take that beer to a whole different level.

Heidelberg7 likes this.
  23. ZD by like a million.

Lantern likes this.
  24. Alpha King

25. Stevedore

Stevedore Poobah (1,010) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

How long is ZD 'fresh' for? I imagine its the citra that fades quickly..?

26. Cerveza

Cerveza Aficionado (125) California Jun 26, 2012

I noticed "Gumball Head" is bottle conditioned but it's also a wheat beer.

I'm guessing it's not good aged right?

27. Gumball Head. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I prefer wheat over IPA/APA any day

Zach136, SWChi and Lare453 like this.
  28. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (790) Florida Feb 1, 2012

Gum ball head

29. Rfunk

Rfunk Aficionado (125) California Nov 28, 2012

Gumball is my favorite wheat beer. Bar none.

30. Duffman929

Duffman929 Savant (380) Illinois Nov 27, 2010

The first time I was able to try it was when it was already Zombie Dust. While some of your theory may have some validity, for me, they could have called it Donkey Balls and it would still taste good. Plus, who wouldn't want to say "Another round of Donkey Balls for everyone!"?

31. kismet

kismet Aficionado (160) Illinois Sep 8, 2011

they are both on my want list...cant wait to try them. kudos to fff on the zd name change...cenotaph sounds like some super strong antibiotic used to treat various raging bacterial infections.

32. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012

Gumball Head for me

33. Gumball Head is one of my favorites, but I have never tried Zombie Dust... you should choose ZD and send it to me so I can be more informed in helping you choose :)

34. whodeyvols

whodeyvols Aficionado (165) Ohio Sep 2, 2012

Zombie Dust. I would hate to have to make the decision though.

35. lucasj82

lucasj82 Advocate (710) Indiana Aug 13, 2009

ZD for me but you really cant go wrong either way.

36. Same thing, except substitute Gumball Head for Zombie Dust.

37. I've never had Gumballhead so I don't feel qualified to answer, but I had Zombie Dust for the first time on Friday and it's going to take a lot for me to prefer a hoppy beer (or just about any beer) over that one.

As far as the name/marketing, Zombie Dust is indeed an awesome name (with a killer label to match), but Cenotaph is pretty cool too. Did it blow up because of the name, or because it started getting bottled, distributed, traded, and thus reached the BA hype machine? I'd think it would have more to do with the later.

38. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I'm a huge fan of Citra Hops, probably my favorite, the closest after this one IMO is Jade hops. Both good, but given a choice ZD is a more flavorful brew.

39. I might vote for Zombie Dust if I could ever find any, finding GH in Indianapolis is a challenge and I am nursing a case I was lucky enough to catch on delivery day (she said it was the first case she had in over 3 months, she can't remember the last time she got any ZD)

40. theburden

theburden Aficionado (240) Illinois Dec 17, 2002

Why does one have to be better than the other?