1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Zombie Dust vs Gumball Head

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by APB, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Duffman929

Duffman929 Savant (360) Illinois Nov 27, 2010

How else would we know part of how to determine trade value?
  2. You're not going to find any unless you journey to Munster. It is my understanding that it is only available at the brewery.
    lucasj82 likes this.
  3. pecsokak

pecsokak Aspirant (45) Virginia Sep 27, 2012

is this the case? my brother is coming back from chicago, and i have him on a mission to bring me back some ZD and alpha king. are they not sold outside of the brewery?
  4. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

Chicago gets Zombie Dust, though the brewery is the best bet (Alpha King should be easier to find in the city I would imagine).
  5. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (835) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

You should be able to find Alpha King more easily than Zombie Dust

Speaking of which I'm at the brew pub right now and its great. Nothing like fresh Zombie Dust to sate the thirst..
  6. pecsokak

pecsokak Aspirant (45) Virginia Sep 27, 2012

alright cool. hes not too in to craft beer, so i'm not sure he is going to know where to look for it, so if anybody sees some and wants to help out an out of towner feel free to post or pm
  7. ZD is only sold at the brewery, I think; I could be wrong. Lucky for you, Munster is essentially Chicago. Tell him to stop off and grab a case. Alpha King can be found basically anywhere in FFF's distribution area.
  8. spartan1979

spartan1979 Savant (360) Missouri Dec 29, 2005

This thread has inspired me. I've had a half pound of Citra hops sitting around for 6 months that I didn't know what to do with. I'm going to make a Zombie Dust clone over the holidays!
    APB likes this.
  9. kpacedo

kpacedo Aficionado (210) California Nov 24, 2009

Is gumballhead in the same style as lagunitas little sumpin sumpin?
  10. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Savant (475) Florida May 29, 2011

ZD > Gumballhead > Dreadnaught

Had ZD & Dreadnaught side by side the other day & ZD made Dreadnaught look downright silly imo
    fredmugs likes this.
  11. bryang002

bryang002 Savant (295) Illinois Apr 26, 2012

If you're lucky you can find some ZD in the City but you're best bet is going to the Brewery. FFF is 30 mins from The Loop. ZD and Gumballhead are significantly different beers, if you like Citra Hops you can't go wrong with ZD. Personally, I like ZD but GBH is a solid wheat.
  12. Sorry, but this is pure nonsense. From the moment Cenotaph came out it was a big hit, and you don't have to believe me, check the reviews, which you prompted me to dig through. It looks like the first 25 reviews were for Cenotaph, with a straight average of 4.434, and only 2 scores below 4.0, from the same growler from guys used to drinking $30 beers. Including this quote from former legendary grand poohbah, mikesgroove, "overall the opinion was shared by all, this was better then most anything i have had in a long, long time." Also, this was a quote from what appears to be the first 'zombie dust' review by MrMcGibblets, "i was thrilled when i saw that cenotaph had been resurrected as zombie dust...my only worry, especially after talking it up to friends the whole way to FFF, was: would it be the same? answer: it was exactly the same, praise be the invisible unicorn."

In addition when the few batches of Cenotaph came out, it was draft and growler only, and while the draft price was the same as their other regular beeres (AK, GH, RtB) the growler price was double the price of the regular beers ($24 instead of $12), and almost as much as a growler of Dreadnaught ($30), which has a draft price more than double the regular beers, and people still bought them, no questions asked (maybe some questions). When Zombie Dust was finally bottled the price went from $24 for 64 ounces to $35 for 288 ounces, making it to me at $1.50 a bottle, $4$ the best beer in the U.S., if not the world, and I wouldn't care if they called it Dog Shit or Cat Piss!
    MrMcGibblets likes this.
  13. homebrew311

homebrew311 Advocate (550) Illinois May 19, 2008

Screw choosing one or the other, your friend should give you one of each. They are both delicious (provided they are very fresh) for different reasons. Don't think of Gumballhead as your typical wheat though, because it is in a different realm. I suppose I should say the same about ZD as a APA. If you have to choose, choose whichever one is fresher.
  14. canuck

canuck Disciple (65) Dec 3, 2012

zombie dust
  15. I voted Gumballhead only because it's slightly easier to find it (although both are scarce). However, I like both of them about equally in taste, maybe with an edge to ZD.
  16. DAllspaw

DAllspaw Savant (270) Indiana Nov 7, 2009

My standbys when visiting the brewpub were a case of Alpha King, ZD and Gumballhead. Last time i was there there were out of King cases, so I grabbed Pride and Joy. I would highly recommend you give it another try, while not as in-your-face as the others, it is an incredibly well-balanced beer.
    mymasterpiece75 likes this.
  17. Zach136

Zach136 Advocate (555) Georgia Jun 17, 2012

I may not have the most popular opinion here, but I'd go with the Gumball Head based on the fact that it's so much out of the league of the other beers of it's kind.

They are both phenomenal beers and I love it when I get the chance to have them, but you can probably find something comparable to ZD that's much easier to get than FFF. Gumball Head on the other hand is light years ahead of other wheat beers. Just my $0.02 and worth as much as you paid for it.
  18. Zombie Dust and Gumball Head do not belong in the same sentence much less compared to each other.
  19. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (490) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

Zombie for me.
    I don't drink any other wheat beers besides Gumballhead.
  20. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

whats better, cat piss or great scotch?
  21. Zombie dust vs any pale, pale wheat, etc wins every time! No contest.
  22. Hot damn, I found my first 6-pack of Zombie Dust at the liquor store this evening and I am changing my vote.
  23. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (630) New York Mar 21, 2010

This isnt even close. I drainpoured Gimball the only time I had it. Zombie Dust is a top 5 beer, amazing stuff.
  24. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Yes, but A Little Sumpin has a higher ABV, 7.5% compared to Gumballheads 4.5%. I enjoy both very much and I am drinking A Little Sumpin as I write this.

I can get Alpha King easy enough, but the Zombie Dust doesn't make it to WI. :(
  25. Both great 2 different brews and should not be compared
  26. I'm a sucker for citrus, so Gumballhead wins. But damn...they are both delicious beers.
  27. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Too different to compare head to head, both are great.
  28. YoungLad

YoungLad Aficionado (170) Indiana Apr 27, 2009

This is correct - Little Sumpin is fine - but its way over the top hoppy, and way too boozy to be compared to GH. I love them both, but it really depends on your palate preference.
  29. YoungLad

Rookies, rookies, rookies....

Back in the day, when Gumballhead was seasonal, and before 3 Floyds burned down (maybe the 2nd time? I forget), Gumballhead was the original Zombie Dust. At that time, Floyds only brewed GH for a spring release, and it generally lasted from around April to September, and then, Poof! it was gone. So, each spring, I would greatly anticipate its release, because there was nothing better.Talk about the perfect summer beer - its got more flavor than any session beer out there (my opinion, of course), its not over the top hoppy...in short, perfect for summer drinking.

And, because of the great demand, Floyds starting brewing it year round, and now its ubiquitous here up in 'Da Region. I can't blame them - if demand is there, supply it. But, I have made the executive decision to not drink GH under any circumstances (Ok - I'm lying a bit here) between Labor Day and St. Patrick's Day. I allow my palate to forget all about the goodness that is GH.

But I digress - my favorite GH story was at DLD in maybe 2005? Before the brewery burned down the first time, and before DLD became the cluster Ph**ck that it grew into. I came back from a business trip, my wife and kids were visiting family out of town, so I was on my own. And lo and behold, GH was on tap all day long! I figured out that it took me exactly two pints of GH to get from the back of the line to the taps. It was a perfect spring day - sunny, warm....Simply awesome. So, I spent the better part of the day going from the back of the line to front, just talking to whoever was in front of or behind me. Met so many cool folks that day...simply a great beer drinking day.

But to the point - why compare ZD vs GH? Its apples vs oranges. I think that most of the folks on here who've preferred ZD do so only because they prefer a more hoppy beer style over what GH is. Or, don't care for the wheat beer characteristics that GH has. (But, drain pouring a GH is a sin - I recommend that BA give it another shot - but make sure that its a fresh GH - nothing better.)

Sorry for the ramble on...but I've been sipping a Surly Abrasive during this missive. Cripes - now that's something!
    MortalKombat14 likes this.
  30. kbrinson

kbrinson Aficionado (110) Indiana Mar 5, 2010

A better question......
    Zombie Dust or Alpha King

Or the turbo question.....
    Dreadnaught or Panzer Wolf

Answers: Zombie Dust and Dreadnaught.
    lucasj82 likes this.
  31. BradtheGreat7

BradtheGreat7 Savant (285) Ohio Jul 22, 2011

Both are the best of their respective 'styles' And both are damn good. However Zombie Dust is one of the best brews in the world. Gum all is awesome, but come on now zombie dust is like a session Dreadnaught and well for me Dreadnaught is the best double ipa in the world. So when I can get those kind of flavors and drink it all day I'd choose zombie dust over anything. I do like the wheat funk wheat beers have, and gumball is one of the best brews concerning wheat. But have you had zombie dust? It may be the best tasting beer I've ever had, and I usually prefer porters and big stouts to hopped up ales. 1 big +1 for zombie dust here. I'd give more of a consideration to alpha king vs zombie dust than gumball. And it's no blast to gumball
  32. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

CSB
  33. YoungLad

Yup. Jealous?
  34. BradtheGreat7

BradtheGreat7 Savant (285) Ohio Jul 22, 2011

I just think zombie dust's massive and truly gushing flavor as described by 3F and all the while keeping it at 6.4% or whatever it is. I know I say this a lot in person and on here, but to get that sort of Dreadnaught flavor notes in a 6.4% brew is truly a feat in itself. Gumballhead is year round, but I buy in Kentucky and it only presents itself during the warm months(so its basically a summer beer for me) while zombie dust was unheard of here until a month ago. Now ive bought 5 6ers in the last 3 weeks, and I hear it's going to be a steady supply from now on(great news) lol. I just can't stop talking about how big of a feat zombie dust is from a brewery. If they all could pull it off they'd be doing it. Zombie dust is that good and deserves to be talked about as much as it is.
  35. Morey

Morey Advocate (525) Pennsylvania Dec 30, 2007

Someone please send me some Gumball Head so that I can weigh in on this. Hell, u might as well send some ZD too, just to refresh my memory ;)
  36. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Pride and Joy!
  37. Is Little Sumpin' Sumin' a wheat? Seriously? Did knot no that.
  38. W
    here'd you get those?
  39. I'm in the minority here, but Gumballhead for me. This is a tough one, but GBH by a bit here.
  40. not even a little