1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Zombie Dust vs Gumball Head

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by APB, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Hawkharvs

Hawkharvs Aficionado (225) Iowa Sep 9, 2012

A little off topic, but I was able to give a friend their first ZD experience this evening...its always awesome to see that "wow!" reaction as its kind of a rite of passage.

CesarLopes likes this.
  2. Thedaver4220

Thedaver4220 Savant (265) Illinois Nov 11, 2011

They are both fantastic brews, I think it's just a matter of which one I can get. I find myself drinking alpha king more then anything else, which IMO is a good problem to have.

MortalKombat14 likes this.
  3. Gumballhead was the first FFF beer that I had and I really like it. Very easy to drink. That being said Zombie Dust really blew me away (and still does)

Both are very good though

4. mvdillman

mvdillman Savant (265) Indiana Dec 30, 2012

I am spoiled living about 5 minutes away from FFF but I prefer Zombie Dust. Gumballhead is a good session beer but I usually only get it when I'm out of town and that's the only Floyd's they have on tap. Both excellent beers though.

5. bman_85

bman_85 Savant (305) Wisconsin Sep 10, 2012

Does this mean you haven't had any zombie dust yet?

6. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (550) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Never seen either in NE Ohio:confused:

7. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (965) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Yup... My mule wasn't able to get any over the holidays because the line at the the brewery was too long.

8. bman_85

See you are in Madison. Make it down near Milwaukee anytime soon send me a message I'll get you a bottle. Was down there last week.

Ri0 likes this.
  9. EseLocoSS

EseLocoSS Savant (325) Illinois Feb 2, 2010

The Zombie King will find you and hurt you if you vote for Gumballhead.
    [​IMG]

10. inkdemention

inkdemention Savant (250) Nevada Nov 17, 2012

hmmm. ive never had either...

11. Scalzo

Scalzo Savant (385) Illinois Feb 27, 2012

Ive consumed too much Zombie Dust. I am sick of citra, Gumballhead is a nice change of pace.

However I wouldnt call it the better beer

12. bman_85

Interesting... if you would like to set up some sort of trade I will be out there next month

13. Yeah, Sumpin' is a wheat. I also did not know that, considering how flavorful it is and how much like a pale ale it tastes.

14. lucasj82

lucasj82 Advocate (710) Indiana Aug 13, 2009

Out of the two I favor Zombie Dust by a large margin but it is a top five beer on my own personal list. Gumballhead makes me like a wheat beer which is kind of a big deal because I have really falling out of love with that style.

Artic Panzer Wolf still is my favorite 3Fs offering though.

15. lucasj82

I have been told this by the owners of the liquor stores I frequent. The only time they get some is if they go to Munster themselves for a case or two.

16. lucasj82

Fixed that for you, but really if you are stuck with two out of those four beers there isn't really a wrong answer.

17. Bigtwin

Bigtwin Savant (460) Michigan Sep 13, 2010

I'm kind of disappointed that the OP even had to ask. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't kick either of them out of bed for eating crackers. But ZD blows it away.

18. I've only had Alpha King and Zombie Dust. Have Pride and Joy and Gumballhead in the fridge and will try them sometime this week. However, I wouldn't disown any FFF beer. Being from Michigan I would love to have a FFF beer in my fridge at all times. They are extremely drinkable, refreshing and perfect for hopheads. Their year round beers are also extremely sessional since they are all under 7%

19. If you're going to compare different styles and pick a winner; that doesn't really make sense to me. How about a proper death match between Dreadnaught and ZD?!?! Dreadnaught hands down . . . let's see ZD have the distribution of Dreadnaught and see if it can hold it's ranking / hype. ZD is good don't get me wrong, but Dreadnaught is MUCH better, at least if you're going to declare a winner of different styles.

20. BogusOwnz

BogusOwnz Aficionado (120) Illinois Feb 17, 2010

It's hard to compare the two but just out of personal preference I would go we gumballhead. ZD is decent but it is the only insanely popular beer as well as the only top 20 best beer in the world that I just don't get. It's a good pale ale with citra that's it to me nothing earth shattering.

21. If we are going by Beer Advocate ratings and reviews then Zombie Dust has more ratings then Dreadnaught. There's really no proof as to which beer has been tried by more people. I read an article that FFF sold 1000 cases of Zombie Dust in the first few days of release when it was initially bottled. A perfect 100 rating, being ranked 6th on the top 250 beers and having a killer name and beer label adds to wanting to try that beer.

Also I'm pretty sure 90%+ of people that buy FFF beer, buy it at their brewery anyways. That or it is traded to them. The reason being that FFF has such a small distribution footprint with only select stores carrying some of their beer in Chicago. The keyword being some stores carrying just some of their beers. I've heard you can never even find most of their beers in stores such as Gumballhead and Zombie Dust

This isn't too disown Dreadnaught or any other FFF beer either, it's just how FFF is distributed and tried by the craft drinking crowd. Also Dreadnaught being 10$ a 22 oz is quite expensive in terms of beer. Zombie Dust being 10$ a 6 pack or 8.75$ a six pack if bought by the case is much more economical.

22. Row 2 / Hill 56

distantmantra likes this.
  23. scm2787

scm2787 Aficionado (225) Texas Oct 4, 2011

Zombie dust

24. Gumball

25. atomic

atomic Savant (455) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

How often have you had it? I feel like its a beer that grows on you. Didn't care for it much the first time I had it.

26. CesarLopes

CesarLopes Savant (285) Brazil Feb 8, 2013

First, here in IL I see a reasonable amount of FFF YR bombers (Dreadnaught, Arctic Panzer), plus some 6-packs. Mostly Robert the Bruce and Gumballhead. ZD really hits limited stores, usually a 1-pack limit.

Second, I do not understand the pricing either...

And the OP is really unfair, you cannot compare ZD and Gumballhead. Both are great in their styles IMO... Of course ZD will get more votes/attention because of all the (rightful) hype, but Gumballhead is delicious

27. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I hate these vs threads. Both in their own right are great brews, they are not the same brew style. ZD will always be more flavorful, but it does not diminish GH.

28. BeerGreg

BeerGreg Savant (465) Illinois May 17, 2013

I can attest to its fading. Bought three cases back in December. Forgot about a couple six packs until last week, when I threw them in the fridge. Definitely not even close to the same beer. Sucks considering it's even harder to get now than it was six months ago. Was going to swing by 3F next week, but with no ZD for sale, I may pass.

29. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Savant (470) Wisconsin Jun 6, 2007

For me:

AlphaKing>ZombieDust>Gumballhead.

Like all 3.

Larrygto likes this.
  30. BeerLover99

BeerLover99 Advocate (745) Illinois Dec 13, 2008

You nailed it! :D

31. dougfur

dougfur Savant (345) New York Jan 24, 2011

I found it very nice, but kind of baffling too, as I don't get the hype. It tasted like a good hoppy ale, but not all that noteworthy. Still, while I've had a few, they were from the same batch and it's possible it was older. I'd love to give it another try.

32. DHS1029

DHS1029 Savant (330) Illinois Feb 14, 2013

Zombie Dust, its that good

33. Larrygto

Larrygto Aficionado (230) Arizona May 28, 2012

I concur!

34. Heidelberg7

Heidelberg7 Savant (370) Illinois Sep 13, 2008

I actually have case of ZD and a case of Gumballhead and always have a problem picking so I also pick 1 of each

Also if the ZD is super fresh go with that if it makes your decision easier

35. Larrygto

The problem I have with ZD is; you basically can only get it at the brewery not really a big deal, but if I drive down there I'm getting my two case limit. Then I get home and want to drink it fresh so that's all I drink and by the time I get to the second case I start getting tired of it. If I could get it in 6 packs locally I think I'd like it more?

36. nc41

If you can get it all the time why buy 2 cases? It should be a treat not a duty,

37. Larrygto

I live in Wisconsin, if I drive down there it takes at least 2.5 hours depending on traffic, for that amount of time invested I'm getting my two cases lol

38. hey5hitgoose

hey5hitgoose Savant (305) Illinois Feb 28, 2013

yeah, this is what first came to my mind. besides the fact that gumball head uses red wheat in the malt bill... gumball head uses amarillo hops whereas zombie dust uses citra hops. while citra hops are the trendiest and one of the tastiest hops on the market, amarillo definitely holds its own

39. Can we do Torpedo vs Kellerweis next? Please can we?

hey5hitgoose likes this.
  40. nc41

I

I understand, but having a beer should be a pleasure not a chore. Make the drive less often and buy a case. I've hit threshold limits and its not pretty, if supply isn't a problem kinda take a Break.