1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Zombie Dust

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by RaulMondesi, Feb 8, 2013.

1. jplopez21

jplopez21 Advocate (580) Illinois Nov 14, 2012

It's so easily available for me and I drink it so often it doesn't amaze me like it used to. Hell I have a case just chillin right now just waiting to be traded. Then again I've never had pliny or heady so...

gigaknight likes this.
  2. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

Perhaps, but you have the glory of Rickard's Red and the memory of the 'diques. Sorry if you're a Habs guy - I still hate them because of Claude Lemieux.

You have a beautiful province. Spent many weekends in QC in college and somehow didn't cause an international incident.

3. dbfp210

dbfp210 Savant (350) Pennsylvania Jun 27, 2012

I had a tiny little sip once. Not enough. :-(

4. lol yeah, I'm a Habs fan. We do have some pretty badass beer here, but Quebec IPAs and APAs simply can't stack up to the amazing things brewing South of the border. At least I'll never be lacking any Belgian styles!

5. djl9701

djl9701 Aficionado (180) Illinois Mar 8, 2008

Just got back home after picking up a case
    of Zombie Dust from the brewery.
    Dude at the counter said it was bottled today !!!
    Taste pretty damn good !!!!

RaulMondesi likes this.
  6. I happen to have some Fresh Heady
    Let me know if you are interested in a trade for some East Coast beer

7. Alextricity

Alextricity Champion (775) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

The bastards need to start shipping to Michigan, otherwise I say we take our beer back.

Anyway. I'll be tasting Zombie Dust (possibly, hopefully) for the first time some time on Saturday. Hurrah!

tectactoe likes this.
  8. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

When michigan wins more than one OSU game in 8 years, you can take your beer back. :)

NABS and powz87 like this.
  9. Walking Dead premiere with Zombie Dust ... FTW

StoutIrish and KevinGordon like this.
  10. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

Love this beer and jump on any chance to have it on tap. Really hope I can make it to the brewery sometime this year so I can drink it on my damn couch (quite a few friends really like it, but don't seem to want to go pick up $35 cases of it, the hell man).

11. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

... youre on BA, complaining about 35 dollar case. One of the best beers in the world. Im gonna throw up./

12. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

It's more that I'm semi-complaining that I can't buy said cases. ;)

Who in their right mind would think that is too much for such a great beer?:D

YogiBeer likes this.
  13. I'll be at Russian River this weekend...

14. Like, first person, wey?

15. If you want something 90% close, Flower Power.

16. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

Best pale I have ever had.

hoppusmaxximus likes this.
  17. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (870) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

I had totally bought into the Official Reviews were more meaningful than the Gots until I saw this.

RaulMondesi likes this.
  18. mklisz

mklisz Advocate (630) New Hampshire Dec 31, 2010

I traded heady for ZD. Good beer but I'll keep my heady next time.

19. I agree. Different style, but I would take a Heady any day!

20. And if the bottle weren't shiny and adorned with one of the most ubiquitous symbols of recent pop culture, you think anyone would honestly still be buying cases at a time and proselytizing about it to strangers rather than, say, any of the dozens of other world class IPAs and Pales that are available to us in the Midwest and don't sell out before they touch a shelf? When was the last time a store sold out of Two-Hearted within hours of its delivery? Does anyone post instagram photos of their latest "haul" of Anti-Hero? Red Chair? Didn't think so. There's no shame in it, but Floyds applied a genius product design to a pretty good beer, made it scarce, and everybody ate it right up.

thewizzard and jlordi12 like this.
  21. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (760) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

You shouldn't state your opinions as though they are facts. I love me some Two Hearted, but give me Zombie Dust anyday.

It could be in a bottle with a big hairy dick on the label, named "Dick Juice", and I'd still drink the fuck out of it.

22. You're right, I'm just a little embittered because I get at least 20-30 calls every week looking for Zombie Dust, as well as innumerable in-person inquiries. It becomes grating when we've sold out or it hasn't come in yet, but that many of the customers truly have no interest in any other craft beers and will either grab a 6pk of Bud (seriously not kidding) instead, or just leave in a huff, chiming that they still have a case left at home anyway.

So I suppose my beef is more with how people act as a result of Zombie Dust rather than the beer itself, but in my opinion, there are scores of better beers around that are a lot easier to find. That being said, my store typically gets 6-10 cases each week, and I'd be more than happy to arrange a trade if you'd like some!

23. Dirtinabottle

Dirtinabottle Savant (395) New York Aug 21, 2012

Lizardville in Bedford Ohio (just East of Cleveland) had Dreadnaught and Zombie Dust on tap last week. I live in Rochester NY and was about to drive out for a night with some buddies but both kegs kicked in under 2 hours. The guy running the tap never stopped the flow.

24. imfrommichigan

imfrommichigan Savant (460) Utah Jul 12, 2012

Thank you for this. Coffee almost got spit all over my keyboard.

MrMcGibblets, JxExM and tectactoe like this.
  25. Revenant

Revenant Savant (350) Minnesota Aug 8, 2012

I had no idea you could buy Zombie Dust in Chicago. Good to know as I will be there this Spring as well.

26. Obviously a lot of people legitimately prefer Zombie Dust over other brews, it would be ridiculous to imply that people ONLY like it for the label. But I work in a store that sells a lot of ZD, and I can't tell you how many people are utterly uninterested in or even outwardly dislike any other well-received Pale ales or IPAs that I recommend when ZD runs out. It's good, Citra is tasty. In my opinion, however, it's nowhere near worth the hype and tantrums I see people throw when they can't get more than 2 two 6pks of the stuff. My beef is really mainly with the immature and impressionable beer geeks who hoard it from my customers who have never had it, and continue to over-hype it and thus driving along the hoarding

*Also, anyone remember when it was still Cenotaph, minus all the zombie fluff? I don't ever recall those kegs kicking anywhere near as quickly as they did after a gnarly looking skeleton monster was put on the tap handles.

27. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Savant (260) Illinois Apr 4, 2007

Still find it funny that 3 Floyds still call it a Pale Ale. It's an IPA all the way.

28. smo

smo Aficionado (185) New Jersey Apr 11, 2012

I had my first a few weeks ago and it was the same experience (I live in NYC). Knowing that its hard for me to get more, is not a fun feeling :(

29. ZD only really holds up for 60 days at most. Keep it any longer, it levels out like crazy. You hoard it, you may as well drink any other Pale Ale out there. I love that beer and everything they make. Living in Pittsburgh, I have access to crazy good beer, but 3 Floyds is my favorite brewery by far. With that said, why other breweries don't smarten up and retro-engineer that beer is beyond me. After all, beer is not software and can pretty much be cloned legally!!!!

30. coachdicarlo

coachdicarlo Initiate (0) Missouri Apr 20, 2012

His son is in the Royals system. Very highly regarded prospect.

Hugonaut13, MarkIntihar and JxExM like this.
  31. ZD = best pale ale you'll ever have. I live in NC and I have it shipped to keep it on hand. It's a must have....

JxExM likes this.
  32. Scalzo

Scalzo Savant (385) Illinois Feb 27, 2012

Zombie Dust is nice untill youve had a few hundred and you grow tired of the same old citra cat piss taste and typical three floyds fake mouth feel!

gigaknight likes this.
  33. Jeremy6566

Jeremy6566 Savant (270) Arizona Jan 10, 2013

Yogi you are Awesome!
    If your more than generous offer extends to a newbie trader in the deserts of AZ, I would jump at the chance to trade some great offerings from around here and finally get to try ZD!

34. cyrushire

cyrushire Advocate (655) Florida May 25, 2012

in april you can attend dark lord day.

35. Alextricity

Dick Juice, huh?

Would make for an interesting flagship beer. Patenting that one.

tectactoe likes this.
  36. harperman69

harperman69 Savant (355) Tennessee Feb 11, 2009

What is fake mouth feel? Serious question.

37. sarch

sarch Aficionado (140) Illinois Jan 16, 2013

You should also check out other local breweries. 3F will announce on their facebook when they get more ZD, and so will Binnys South Loop (@southloopbeer) and Binnys Lincoln Park (@beeradam). I'm a huge fan of Pipeworks and I strongly recommend trying their beers.

38. ColdOne

ColdOne Savant (440) New York Jan 19, 2013

Three penis wine, anyone?

nickapalooza86 and brewsader like this.
  39. Alextricity

My dad an hour ago just got a case of Dust from their brewpub. :D
    (As well as Pride and Joy, Gumballhead, and Alpha King)

RWNay likes this.
  40. Now I cant wait to get home and crack one my ZDs!!