1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Zombie Dust

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by RaulMondesi, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum Aspirant (45) Illinois Oct 24, 2012

hey. can you get Farmstead Hill beers? I'm going FFF on Wednesday, could do a trade. PM me if interested. If they don't have ZD I couldget you Alpha King.

2. Read the thread. My point was that my opinion of ZD as a beer is inconsequential, but it's obvious that it makes grown adults behave like pouting children more so than most other good beers. Thank you for reaffirming this point.

beerandtheghost likes this.
  3. MrMcGibblets

MrMcGibblets Savant (455) Illinois Jan 14, 2007

gigaknight, interpreting my response as pouting is quite the logical leap. my point was that the mania over zd has more to do with the beer than the name/label. all their labels are great, but that doesn't make me go out of my way to get bruce, p n j, etc.

4. MrMcGibblets

also, gigaknight, based on our avatars/pics, i think you're just a bitter top-hating bottom.

CityofBals likes this.
  5. Ah yes, denying that you're pouting by slinging petty homophobic insults. Dry your tears and go home son, 4chan misses you.

6. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

All of FFF's beers are sold out immediately at every store they go to, because the rabble inside the beer stores are attracted to the shiny labels. Like crows.

Coirm likes this.

7. i don't think so farmstead might be a little hard for me to come by unfortunately =/

8. jtg5678

jtg5678 Savant (290) Illinois Nov 27, 2012

Citra Ninja is one of the best beers I've ever had, and I personally would take it over Zombie Dust 9 times out of 10 if offered. And I freaking love Zombie Dust.

Someone needs to find Citra hops for Pipeworks so they can brew it again already...

CityofBals likes this.
  9. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

How about some Mosaic Manatee?

immobilisme likes this.
  10. jtg5678

I think you're mostly on point about the beer and the way hype has played into things, but I don't think it's symptomatic of the brewery necessarily. The hype is largely because it's a quality beer with citra hops, arguably the most hyped beer characteristic next to barrel aging.

11. CityofBals

FTFY.

12. jtg5678

To be honest, you're probably right. Though my hypothetical 10th time might be to build my appreciation for times one through nine.

CityofBals likes this.
  13. Nope. Look at the color of the two beers side by side. Malt bills aren't the same.

14. Do you remember this exact situation with Gumballhead a few years ago? It's just how group-think works. People new to craft beer get excited about something new and don't know of what else exists. You're in a position to help but I can imagine it's tough if people have a one track mind.

gigaknight likes this.
  15. CityofBals

My guess is the .2% difference has something to do with coloring malts, but I'm not a brewer. ZD used to be like 6.2%, but they upped it slightly because of a thin mouthfeel perhaps? Regardless, they are very similar beers, except I prefer citra.

17. Very true. However, Zombie Dust's unique qualities aside, the brewery itself is almost an equally huge hype machine. I have tons of customers who know don't know what hops are, much less what a Citra hop is, but harass us week after week for any Three Floyds beer, and if we're out, are content with a 6 pack of Coors. You're right, the taste of the beer is a big part of Floyds' popularity, but by no means the only part, and I'd argue it's not even the biggest part when their entire customer base is considered. When DFH 60min first started earning the brewery popularity, it certainly wasn't on account of the uninspired name, butt-fucking-ugly labels, and bland box art. Not that Sam isn't a magnetic personality who could sell me pond water in a shoe, but he definitely didn't have any help in his brand sticking out on store shelves or bar tap lists.

18. jtg5678

You're right. As far as Chicago goes, Three Floyds is entry level craft beer. The fact that it tastes great helps, but it's a popular option for people starting to explore. However, the fact that Zombie Dust is much harder to find than their other beers I think is largely a result of the citra hop: it's less available which makes the beer inherently more rare, on top of the fact that it's a trendy hop that got notoriety from beer geeks in the first place. We created the hype, now we whine that we can't get it.

HugePrnceFan1999 likes this.
  19. Truth. My nerves are simply tattered from fielding Three Floyds requests 20+ times a week, so I may have an unfair bias against them. But I try to focus my aggression on those who deserve it, like the hoarders, re-sellers, and assholes who buy it in bulk for nothing more than bragging rights, rather than the brewery or the beer itself.

Despite this bias, I have to say that while Citra itself is a lovely hop with great potential, it by no means makes a great beer on its own. I've brewed a few beers with Citra before (not single-hopped, though), and it didn't make my beer magically irresistible. It takes creativity and know-how to produce an exact flavor profile in a beer, and Three Floyds employs some immensely talented brewers who make Citra work for them in a way that not just anyone can replicate.

MarcatGSB likes this.
  20. MrMcGibblets

how can i b homophobic w this avatar? dafuq?

21. Having an actor portraying a fiction homosexual persona as your avatar doesn't make you any less of a homophobic imbecile when you string together a barely legible comment attempting to insult me by implying that I'm a homosexual, which further implies that you think being homosexual is something to be ashamed of. Ergo, you are a homophobe.

22. ^ get a room you two ;)

23. imfrommichigan

imfrommichigan Savant (470) Utah Jul 12, 2012

I'm tiger-phobic. So much so I made it my avatar.

nickapalooza86 and MrMcGibblets like this.
  24. Sucks doesn't have Citra.

The hops we use are Chinook, Simcoe, Apollo, Summit, Nugget and HBC342 hops. I agree, Sucks rocks. I can probably bathe in it. And as far as the 32oz bottles, not quite sure where we stand on those at the moment. We are only running Sucks as a seasonal in six packs at this time but I am not quite sure what our final decision will be when it comes to making it a year round. We will all just have to wait and see.
    Thanks for the great email,
    Nina Anguiano
    First Line of Defense Lagunitas Brewing Co.

http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/lagunitas-sucks-hops.66476/

MrMcGibblets likes this.
  25. MrMcGibblets

as noted on another point earlier, u jump to conclusions/make logical leaps too easily. any attempts to insult were instigated by yourself.
    i stand by my original point-u r wrong in suggesting that the popularity of zd has to do with zombies/artwork rather than the beer itself.
    let me know if u want to get a room.

cadizkyguy likes this.
  26. jtg5678

You either misunderstood my "entry level" comment or are choosing to use it out of context to grind some axe you have about people "disrespecting" ZD.

As far as Chicago goes, 3 Floyds is not some under-the-radar brewery making great beer. After Goose Island, they are easily the most popular non-BMC brewery. They garnered that reputation from making exceptional beer and from beer geeks hyping it to the point that it spilled over into the mainstream. Now combine that fact with an amazing beer that uses a harder-to-find hop, you have a perfect storm that makes Zombie Dust the hardest year-round release to find in Chicago.

Edit: The entry level comment simply means that if someone in Chicago is deciding to try out craft beer, they're more likely to get 3 Floyds than, say, Pipeworks, Begyle, or Spiteful. It says nothing of their quality.

27. Scalzo

Scalzo Savant (385) Illinois Feb 27, 2012

I like ZD, but its fairly simple and gets old after awhile. It is what it is.

I know most members of this forum couldn't imagine getting tired of a "top ten" beer, but I did; doesnt mean i dont like it. I just need a break from the same old same old

hopefully they age it in some gumballhead barrels stat!

28. BertSugar

BertSugar Aficionado (215) Indiana Feb 11, 2007

You sure that's Zombie Dust? They've never put it in bombers.

29. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (490) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

Remove the label and write Zombie Dust on the bottle in white marker.
    It wuold still be the best beer ever!

MrMcGibblets likes this.
  30. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (915) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

It's really good, and obviously availability is a major issue with the beer. I've been working through a case for the last month (picked up fresh at FFF) and the last couple bottles still remaining are definitely not as tasty as the first bottle I pulled out.. and neither of them were as tasty as having it on tap at the brewpub- that was and still is sublime. So based on n=1 experience, my thought is that there is a major freshness issue with ZD- the particular recipe, brewing methods, bottling process, etc. etc. that brings the brewer to make this trade-off of durability over time vs quality.

nben60 likes this.
  31. Cee-Poe

Cee-Poe Aficionado (240) Wisconsin Feb 12, 2013

For those in the Milwaukee area, Sneezby's Denoon Saloon in Muskego has Zombie Dust on tap right now... along with many other great beers. Hopslam will be tapping next Sunday, if I'm not mistaken.

32. PorterLambic

PorterLambic Advocate (610) Florida Nov 26, 2003

:eek:
    Don't even joke around like that!

33. Are people really having a hard time getting zombie? I can pretty much pick some up anytime. I have a case in my pantry right now because I'm lining up some trades.

34. PorterLambic

Yeah, The Floyds Cubed don't sell in FL and its a 4 hour trip one way just to get to GA to find they don't sell it there either.

35. I was referring to people in the area here. I don't think FFF distributes outside of 4-5 states surrounding Indiana.

36. DHS1029

DHS1029 Savant (330) Illinois Feb 14, 2013

I have four of them left in my fridge. All this talk of Zombie Dust has prompted me to desire one. Looks like I know what I'll be drinking tonight...

37. PorterLambic

Damn! I checked again and found Arctic Panzer Wolf, Moloko, BrooDoo, Alpha Klaus, and Calumet Queen. SON OF A BEE- YATCH! Well, better luck next trip. :(

38. gueuzedreg

gueuzedreg Advocate (530) Colorado Jan 18, 2013

had dust and pliny side-by-side; i choose dust

39. Calumet Queen?

40. Ive been asking that too. Only one time out of the many times Ive been to Three Floyds were they out of ZD. It is very easy to get.