1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Zwickelmania 2013

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by msubulldog25, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Just 3 days until this Saturday's Zwickelmania, the open house for breweries across Oregon. My wife and I hope to hit a few in Portland. Anyone else going to this? And if so, which places are on your list???

http://oregonbeer.org/zwickelmania/

2. w_klon

w_klon Aficionado (225) Oregon Aug 1, 2012

Im excited about this! I havent had weekends off in years and always missed out on this stuff. I think Im going to hit up Hood River. Lodsdon, Pfriem, Double Mountain, and Full Sail. Im a big Upright fan, so if I stay in Portland, Ill be there for a part of the day, for sure.

3. guajolote

guajolote Savant (415) Oregon Sep 12, 2008

I think I'll try to hit the new Breakside facility. Haven't been there yet, so Saturday might be a good day to check it out. I'll also be over near Lompoc 5Q at some point, so might stop by there. There's a small chance I'll try to hit Deshcutes, but I'm sure it'll be a madhouse.

4. m4ttj0nes

m4ttj0nes Aficionado (215) Oregon Feb 21, 2012

07 and 08 abyss will be for sale at the brewpub.

5. guajolote

Bottles or draft? Didn't see anything listed on their website or FB feed.

6. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Savant (340) Oregon Jun 3, 2005

Will be in Bend Friday night until Saturday afternoon, will probably try to do one or two right at 11 on Saturday. Have visited all of the breweries in bend w/ the exception of Crux and Worthy. Any Zwickelmania specific recommendations for Bend?

EDIT: kind of answered my own question. Good thing I'll only be .2 miles away :)

Crux Fermentation Project
    50 SW Division St
    Bend OR 97701
    11-4pm
    Get up close and personal with samples pulled straight from the zwickel on tours given by the founders and brewers. We’ll also be featuriing tastings of our soon-to-be released Imperial Stout from the very barrel it’s aging in.

7. sharpski

sharpski Advocate (540) Oregon Oct 11, 2010

Planning to make the rounds in Bend, hoping for RPM on the zwickel at Boneyard.

8. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,100) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

Too much good stuff!!!

Not sure what I'll have time for, but I'd like to make it over to Harvester, Lompoc sidedoor and Gigantic. All depends upon what time my flight gets in.

9. m4ttj0nes

m4ttj0nes Aficionado (215) Oregon Feb 21, 2012

bottles

10. DimensionX

DimensionX Savant (325) Oregon Oct 1, 2010

ohhhh Caldera is selling 20$ cases, too bad I'm in Portland.

I've never done the Zwicke thing but it seems like a whole lot of waiting around with middle-aged suburbanites while you wait for a free sample. Personally I would rather just buy a beer and enjoy it.
    Am i missing something?

11. guajolote

I went to a few places two years ago and didn't experience any of that. Not saying it doesn't happen, but I found it enjoyable. And, you know, FREE BEER!

12. w_klon

w_klon Aficionado (225) Oregon Aug 1, 2012

Ive never done it either, but i figure as long as you dont hit deschutes or HotD, you'll be alright ;). I also think going early helps ( Not everybody is so inclined to drink beer at 11Am).

13. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (690) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

Wait, you've never been, but you're sure what it's like?

If you get to the right brewery at the right time, you can get a good opportunity to talk with the brewers one-on-one about what they are working on. At the wrong place or wrong time, it can be uncomfortably packed. I've never noticed a preponderance of the middle-aged or suburban.

14. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

That's actually my exact experience. It's pretty fun if you have a good crew to roll with. A decent chunk of my friends are "middle-aged suburbanites" and I have no delusion that I'm right there too by the end of this decade, so it's no bummer about the lack of Red Bull and body paint. Moves the venue from the front of the house to the back of the house so it's a nice change.

15. DimensionX

DimensionX Savant (325) Oregon Oct 1, 2010

haha sorry i wasn't trying to denigrate a large group of BAs, I guess I should have said "non-beer drinkers that are incredibly patient and cheap" I have a few middle-aged suburban friends myself. I was skeptical because I have seen the massive zwicke groups at breweries even if I haven't participated.

I might swing by one or two place in NE, I'll be the guy with the face tattoos and body paint.

hopsbreath likes this.