Zythos & 7 C's

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by SenorHops, Mar 22, 2012.

1. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (430) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

I've got a freezer full of these hops and was trying to figure out how I want to use them. Anyone brewed with either of these yet? Looking for feedback on what you got out of them.

2. MMAJYK

MMAJYK Savant (455) Georgia Jun 26, 2007

I've used 7 C's and I really like it's flavor and aroma, even better than the regular Falconers. That said, I would not use it as a bittering hop, as some of the C hops I like to use for bittering more than others. Some of them I hate using as a bittering hop, so it just wont work for me in that respect. For a late or dry hop in American styles, they are great and pack a nice fruity and citrusy punch.

I have some Zythos in the freezer but have yet to use them.

3. Used Zythos as the "Single" Hop (I know it is a blend) in a pale wheat ale. It was decent but I have gotten better results with other hop combos with the same grain bill. It seems that they dont actually enhance anything like choosing specific hops to do specific jobs would do. If I were to use them again I would bitter with something like Warrior and use Zythos for late/dry hopping.

4. CASK1

CASK1 Savant (380) Florida Jan 7, 2010

I made a "single-hop" Zythos APA and really like the results. One ounce each at 60, 20, knockout, and dry in secondary. Drinking one now! Lots of citrus (especially tangerine) with some woody undertones.

5. I just brewed a red ale with rye and used .5oz 7C's at 20, 15, 10, 5 and flameout. Going to taste it in two weeks to determine how much I want to dry hop with. I'll post back with the results but 7C's smells a lot like lemongrass to me.