Pilsner Urquell | Plzeňský Prazdroj

Added by Bitterbill on 09-10-2000

Reviews: 1,464 | Ratings: 3,749
3.74/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pilsner Urquell is one of the best Pilsners I've ever had before. It has a strong bitter taste which is not too bad for me. It has golden clear look with sweet smell. Overall, for the price and what you got, it's not bad.

3.49/5  rDev -4.1%

This is a sluggin beer best drunk cool to cold out of a large stein. Not even close to as good out of a bottle, sorry. Not because the beer itself is worse (that argument always perplexed me) but because you really need to be able to take big swigs, preferably out of a heavier vessel that you need your entire hand to operate, to get the proper experience and let this brew truly work its magic.

What magic, you ask? The magic of transporting you to an earlier time and place, before you gave a shit about hop combinations and barrel treatments, before you'd ever woken up early to stand in line for beer, before you'd become so insufferable as to use "collab" and "ddh" in your daily speech. Way back when when, to you, beer tasted like fuckin beer and you drank it by the pintful because it was good.

Pilsner urquell is just that: a really good beer. Damn good actually. Looks like a beer, very inviting in that dimpled mug. Aroma is nothing to write home about- Pilsner, earthy, spicy saaz hops. Smells like a beer.

The taste is where this baby shines. I've had my share of American and European pilsners and lagers in general (haven't we all) and this stands out. Starts out a touch sweet, a little white bread and cracker, but then I get a minerality that I really love - not metallic, but a bit stony or flinty. Finishes with a rather sharp earthy/piney bitterness that sets it apart from other pilsners too. If I'd had this back before I knew anything about beer, I would have loved it then too.

But really, the experience is what did it for me. Late night at work, I'm starving and exhausted, i find a spot right outside of wurstbar, so I pop in for a bite and a brew. And even after I have a small taste of some singlecut hop bomb that on another day I wouldn't have hesitated to get the full pour of, I opt for a half liter of Pilsner urquell instead.
Paired it with currywurst and fries. Hit. The. Spot. Sometimes I forget how well a pint of a good lighter, flavorful pils can do that.

2.56/5  rDev -29.7%

Look: yellow/golden

Smell: sweet, honey, fruity

Taste: bitter, acidic

Was not what I expected. The look and smell was completely different than the taste... the strong bitter and acidic taste threw me off. Not a huge fan.

4.18/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Here's the thing, pilsners are not my thing, but this one is superb. Clean, crisp, drinkable, and with enough bitterness to keep it interesting. Look is excellent, taste is great. A rewarding beer, and an explanation in a glass of why this is a dominant style in the industry.

3.96/5  rDev +8.8%

PLZENSKY PRAZDROJ PILSNER URQUELL 4/14/17

Poured from the 12 oz. bottle into a Unibroue stemmed pilsner

a: Clear dark gold/amber with an inch thick white head which receded to patchy surface foam and light lacing.

s; Mild bready malt.

t: Follows the nose with later light fruit and honey notes. Dry finish.

m; Medium, good body and carbonation tingle.

o; A substantial pilsner, claimed to be the original one, heftier in appearance and body than many but a good clean and slightly sweet flavor.

4.24/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Slightly sweet biscuity, bready malt. Great subtle spicy hop aroma and flavour. Saaz is really one of my favourite hops when used well, which this is the finest example of. Finishes fairly clean and refreshing

3.49/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Yummy pilsner. Pours straw colored with chalk whit hid that's rings out fast. Some lacing with each sip. Smells of yeast, malt and grassy hops. Tastes nice an herbal, sweet, and a little heavy on the bitterness which I appreciate for a Czech. Light bodied, finishes crip and clean with nice aftertaste in the pallette.

4.63/5  rDev +27.2%

Well, what do you say about this one? It's the standard in Czech Pilsener (from Pilsen). The only large scale brew that I will consistently buy.

Much prefer this to Staropramen, Czechvar (the real Budweiser) etc. Though I do still need to give Golden Pheasant another chance. There may be microwbrews in Europe doing better, but have never come across it, being in Ontario.

I have become aware that Urquell does unfiltered casks/tastings at various bars in Europe, and that is on my to do before I die list. I did get to try the tank version in London, it was very similar to the export bottles/cans.

Whenever a local Ontario brewery tries this style, I bite but keep coming back to the original.

There is nothing better than pairing Urquell with a pork meal.

4.21/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Benchmark for the Czech pils style. Pours a beautiful gold, white head retreats to a thin white layer of bubbles. Nose is pilsner malt and spicy saaz hops. Clean fermentation, no esters, no diacetyl, no dms. Slighty sweet pils malt balanced with hop bitterness, neither overwhelms, but both are present. Finish is spicy hops and slight mineral after taste. Reminds me of seltzer water in a way. This is one of my favorite pilsners, enjoyable after a shitty day of work or a great day of hiking.

3.68/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had several 12 ounce bottles from our family friend Dave H from Virginia Beach. Wow. I rarely drink Pilsners, but I couldn't get enough of these. I easily had 10+ of these during my stay at Dave's family house. One of the cleanest aftertaste I've ever had.

1.33/5  rDev -63.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Overall, I was extremely disappointed in the aroma and taste of the beer. The color was very gold and rich. The Aroma did not smell very well. The taste was extremely bitter, acidic and sour. The taste did have a hint of coffee. Pilsner had a very negative aftertaste of the beer. The beer was disappointing.

4.33/5  rDev +19%

To me, Pilsner Urquell is one of the best Pilsners out there. It has that unique Central European taste that is quite different from the Western European and American Pilsners I've had. It is well rounded, enough taste, enough bitterness, enough carbonation, to make it wholly satisfying. Perfect for a cooler evening.

3.36/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Look: Very clear light yellow/golden in color. 1-2 finger head... poured from a 12 oz. bottle. Decent head retention.

Smell: Not much on aroma. Some malt and cracker.

Taste: Slightly skunky tasting at first, a slight bite, then some malt/biscuit/cracker come through. Stays a bit sweet, but does dry out towards the end.

Feel: Light - slightly fuller. Decent carbonation

Overall: OK pilsner. I was disappointed with this one because I heard this was one of the traditional pilsners and a benchmark. I have had so many better pilsners. Maybe they aren't traditional, but I do like them better. This is decent, but nothing that I would buy a 6 or 12 pack of.

3.54/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a very clear amber with medium head that doesn't stick around for too long. The nose is very malty with strong elements of grain and grass. The taste is equally malty with very minimal hop bitterness. A nice beer but personally I would prefer something with a bit more of a hop presence.

4.27/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Cans purchased at East Ave Wegmans in Rochester, NY. The new can packaging in the tin box is some of the coolest beer packaging I've ever seen.

This one pours a light straw yellow, with a tight one inch head, and a good amount of lacing.

It smells like a really nice pilsner- no skunky aromas like I've gotten from this in the past. I get a lot of grassiness on the nose, a little bit herbal and spicy, with some sweet lager yeast.

It's crisp, with clean grassy and Saaz hop flavor, a very slight sweetness, and some grainy malt. This is super easy to drink and very enjoyable.

This has a very crisp mouthfeel, with a good level of carbonation.

I finally really appreciate Pilsner Urquell- this is the way it should be.

3.8/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

16oz can poured into a lager glass.

A: Golden colored with great clarity. Huge, sticky white head, chunky and sticky lacing. In appearance, it's pretty much perfect.

S: Bread and grain, big dose of herbal hops, and some butterscotch diacetyl (acceptable in this style of pilsner).

T: Freshly baked bread and grain up front. Some butterscotch diacetyl. Oily and herbal noble hops get quite bitter and ride right into a long bitter finish. Hint of stale lemon too.

M: Medium bodied. Full and firm feel with a touch of slickness. Aggressive carbonation lends a very deep crispness.

O: My experience with true Czech beers is admittedly limited, but from the few I've had this lands somewhere in the middle. It has a surprizing amount of hop bitterness, and I pick up a touch more diacetyl than I have in others. If you're looking for an easy introduction to Czech beer, this is a good and easy place to start. If you want to delve a little more deeply into that world, head out to your serious beer bars and try to track down some Koutska.

3.69/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

From the pint can, it pours a golden amber with a moderate head. Lacing as you enjoy the beer. Scent is fairly light with a touch of hops. The mouth gets a light malt with light bitterness. Enjoyable.

Note: having had Pilsner Urquell many times over the years, this seems (to me) to be a modernized, slimmed down, Americanized, pale version of the one I enjoyed in the 1980s and 1990s.

3.37/5  rDev -7.4%

Review: Bottle of Pilsner Urquell ABV: 4.4%

Coming in a nice green bottle and with classy looking labelling. There’s an attractive red seal stating that this is the “The Original Pilsner”, just so you dont get mixed up with all those cool Czech beers on the market. This one is the original, make no doubt about it!

On pour a light golden yellow colour shows and when it all settles nicely we get a good looking beer with a nice frothy white head that does stick around

This beer is alive, a good bit of carbonation, buzzing about. Some lacing as well. Definitely looks the part.............

The aroma was a real lovely beery smell, floral hops, malts and lager yeast, nice on the nose.........

Interesting taste, piercing taste throughout
Very malty,

Hoppy aftertaste which is a bit overbearing to be honest
Bit of caramel as well

Not what I was expecting at all. Has definite unique tastes and flavours, more like an ale than a soft lager...............Tasty, but I am not a fan, too skunky

Bit surprised as was expecting a better taste, since this beer has a reputation as a "top beer", dont know if this is down to the acquisition by SAB Miller, or maybe due to the green bottles, or perhaps this does not travel well, but I am sure the draft version would be better. I guess i might actually have to go and visit Plzen itself to sample the good stuff!

3.39/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Infallibly clear orange-gold body, fizzy white head that leaves wisps, large bubbles rise. Nose is warm with a rich buttery quality, which is usually considered a flaw, but here it's inviting. It also includes mild wheat/grain notes. Flavor puts out butter, raw grain, mild rye-like spice, mild spicy hop bitterness that also lends some tropical citrusy elements. Comes off as decent but, in my opinion like most pilsners, dirty. Body is crisp and enjoyable, the coarse-looking carbonation has transcended to a lively, appropriate level, along with a medium body.
Flaws and off notes altogether, this will always be a classically enjoyable beer. As hairy as it can be, it at least provides plenty of variety and, if I may say so, a great foundation to add outside fruity elements (slice of lemon, grapefruit orange, etc.).

3.83/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Straw yellow with thin head that dissipates quickly. Smells of yeast and rye. Taste is nice with yeast, rye and lots of smoke flavor. There are faint citrus hints in the backdrop. Mouthfeel is a little on the light side.

4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

16.9 oz. can

Pours clear gold with a creamy frothy white foam head. Smells like grape, pear, apple, citrus, biscuity honey grainy malt, with dank earthy herbal grass and spicy pine. Tastes like biscuity honey malt, some grape, apple, pear, citrus, with spicy pine and earthy herbal grass. Feels medium-light bodied, creamy and slick with moderate low carbonation. Overall a really nice Czech pilsner.

4.79/5  rDev +31.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

My absolute favorite Pilsner, ironic that it is the original Pilsner.
First had it while in Czech, and it was always just referred to as just a "Pils".

Pours as a nice golden, with a thick frothy white head, that gets little craters in it as it slowly slowly sinks and falls apart.

It smells a little like buttery popcorn, but mostly skunky and malty.

Extremely drinkable, easy, light, malty. And always has that sweet buttery finish that is really unique and enjoyable.

If there was a beer that was similar to buttered bread, or buttered corn, this would be it.
And because of that, this beer is absolutely fantastic to be enjoyed with a hearty meal.

As far as bottled or canned VS on draft.
On draft this beer is the next level of fresh and has a bit more complex maltiness and crispness to it

Hats off to the Czech for this wonderful, innovative, and inspiring beer.
Na zdraví !!!

3.55/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Used to be my favorite pilsner, I dunno what happened, corporate buy out or otherwise, it kinda went downhill. Straw yellow color out of a green bottle. Lots of head falls apart quick. Aroma hit those skunky notes I like.

Taste is a zippy light malt beer with lots of carbonation and a respectable degree of noble hops. I'm a fan, good lager skunk yeast notes, prickly hops and carbonation, light body. Can drink lots of these.

1.98/5  rDev -45.6%

What a disappointment from a bottle. I've had these in Europe and they are far better than the import. Simply a bitter, stale, dead taste. I'd rather drink a Coors Light.

3.4/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a very clear orange, with a quickly receding, tiny head and no lacing. I'm smelling malt and some alcohol, with a touch of biscuit, and maybe something like orange. Taste is malty as well, with a nice balance between bitter and sweet, with a light fruity touch (apple?). It's medium light, with little carbonation; very crisp, very clean.

I think I'd get tired of it after a while, but it's a very quenching beer, and a nice introduction to the style. Maybe a tad too clean.

Pilsner Urquell from Plzeňský Prazdroj