Pilsner Urquell | Plzeňský Prazdroj

Style: Czech Pilsener

Added by Bitterbill on 09-10-2000

Ratings: 3,774 |  Reviews: 1,472
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

500mL can. nice bright golden colour. has a bit of a sweet smell.
the head poured thin and dissipated quickly.
The taste comes on sweet, then fades to a mildly bitter finish.
It's refreshing, but not my thing and not the best pilsner I've had.
still, a good beer.

3.53/5  rDev -3%

Straw yellow color with quickly dissolving head. Wonderful aroma! Reminds me of Moosehead. Might have to grab one of those soon too. This has a pretty good flavor, but not as good as the smell, at least not in my opinion. Someone on BA mentioned this has corn in it. If so I think that's what I taste the most. It's not bad, just something I don't taste in most of the ales I tend to drink. On the other hand I think I can taste the malt in it too. Overall this is tasty and I would try it again.

3.53/5  rDev -3%

Pours a golden honey color with a small head and light lace.
The aroma is mild skunk,bread malt and hops.
The taste is toasted malts,hops,and a slightly bitter. The overall feel is slightly watery,crisp,dry finish with mild bitterness. I think I detected some grains in the finish.

Notes: The beer was slightly skunked,but they all are. I bought a 6 pack and I felt that despite this the beer was good,not great but good. I suppose I tried it because I read so much about it.
It was fine for a hot day,average and nothing to be ashamed of.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is a good pilsner beer and nothing more. A: light golden with foamy head and light retention S: pungent hoppy grassiness T: Very strong grass body with considerable hop presence that add to the acidic bitterness. M: thin but to be expected from a pils D: a pretty drinkable beer, but pils typically tend to be a little too acidic for me to tolerate numerous beers. Very reminiscent of Grolsch.

look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.53/5  rDev -3%

Appearance: pours a crystal clear light golden yellow color with a 1" head that falls quickly.

Smell: very mild grass and a hint of citrus comes through to the nose.

Taste: mild malt presence with some grass and lemon zest. Bitterness is moderate as the Saaz hops provides the bite.

Mouthfeel: light in body. Very crisp throughout. Clean and refreshing aftertaste.

Drinkability: always a standby beer when selection is weak. Easy to consume.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Notes from Prague. .5l can into a tiny water glass.

A- Clear gold with quick bubbly head that left nice lacing.

S- Crisp light malts. Nice hop presence. No skunk like in the US.

T-Malts up front. Finishing lightly bitter, possibly from the hops. Grassy/floral.

M-Medium carb, smooth, mildy viscous. Drinkable.

O- Much cleaner tasting than in the US.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Consumed 7/29/09- from notes.

Green bottle poured into a pilsner glass.

A- Very deep gold with a chunky two finger white head that lasted most of the glass. Decent lacing.

S/T- Virtually identical to me. Grassy sweet and a little spicy.

M- Very smooth with a little dry bite at the finish.

D- Pretty good session beer.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a fizzy yellow urine color.

Aroma is primarily hay, grassy notes, and very mild hops.

Taste is very grassy up front, followed by some iron and earthiness. I get some lemon zest in the beer also. The finish is a surprisingly mild bitterness.

Overall lagers are not my style, but this one is decent. Very sessionable, however, still not enough flavor for me. I pair it with bacon-cheddar flavored popcorn or chips and quest dip. It gets a 70.5/ 100 from me.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This bottle is definately light struck. Obvious sulfur notes upon opening the cap.

Liquid is very yellow; Like urine after not drinking for a day. Head looks good enough at first, but doesn't hold.

Grassy notes on the nose, with some spicy hops and a little citrus rind, along with substantial skunkiness, which actually doesn't bother me a whole lot.

Bitter on the palate, with some more grassy notes. Hops dominate, but they are neither distinctive or very interesting.

Mouthfeel is on the thin side, with moderately high carbonation.

Overall, I was expecting something much worse. Could be a good "gateway beer" to move a few people away from American macro lagers.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce brown bottle poured into a Becher glass.

a: Clear, golden body. 2 finger white head.

s: Light malts, hay like hop presence.

t: Crisp malts and a mild bitter hop finished.

mf: Good carbonation, light body.

o: I use to drink a lot of this. It was my favorite beer at one point so many years ago. It is exactly what I remember but my tastes have changed. I still like the beer but the sulfery presence has become overwhelming for me.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Very basic and straightforward. Not complex, but I don't mean that in a bad way in this case. This beer isn't trying to be complex.. It is what it is, which to me a good example, maybe even a "standard" for the style. Reminds me of something my grandfather in Greece would've drank. Active carbonation, hop presence in keeping with the style. Soft mouthfeel with a nice, lingering maltiness. Some skunkiness, especially in the aroma. Don't know if I would go out of my way to buy this again (I possibly would, if in the mood), but if it was offered, I would certainly not complain. This is another beer that I wish American macros tasted like.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served pretty cold in standard pint glass. This is the new packaging 6-pack. Totally covers the bottles. Says shipped cold from Czech Republic. Still same green bottle. Have been eager to try this since I heard of the new packaging. Says best by June 2013.

Looks like what a pilsener should look like. Clear gold with lots of bubbles and a white head.

Grassy hop smell with a bit of hops. No skunk like bottled Urquell usually has.

Nice taste. Classic pilsener taste; bready/malty with prominent hop bite at the end. Good balance. Eat your heart out, Budweiser and other US pils...This is what you wish you could be like. No skunk in the flavor either. Tastes much like the draft version I have had.

Moderate carbonation. Mouthfeel is adequate.

Despite having this when it is cold and snowy, I am really pleased with this. I assume the difference is in the handling. Not skunked, not oxidized. Tastes very much like draft Urquell. I have avoided the bottled version in the past, but if this is what it is now like, I will be trying this again. A solid, thirst-quenching pils the way the style should be.

3.53/5  rDev -3%

I have had this beer before, but it has been a while. I did remember that when I had it before I felt that it was what an American Pilsner would want to be when it grew up.

The beer is a dark straw color. The head of the beer is fluffy and white. There are a lot of bubbles.

The aroma is malty and almost wheat-like.

The initial taste is smooth and malty, and a bit coppery.

The middle of the beer remains smooth and balanced. There is a slight taste of hops that complements the malty flavor very nicely.

The beer finishes very smooth with a nice evaporating sensation.

This beer is so light and smooth that it goes down like water, but the taste is fuller than most pilsners. I would reccomend this beer to anyone looking for a beer on the lighter side of things that still has a nice full taste.

3.53/5  rDev -3%

Clear and yellow in color. Bubbly white head about a centimeter when poured but dwindled away rather quickly. Aroma was faint, but what I got was some hops and grain. Taste was pretty good, a mix of hops, grain, and hint of spiciness to it. Went down nice and smooth, crisp and well carbonated. Not a fan of the style in particular, but a good anytime beer.

3.53/5  rDev -3%

The beer poured a golden color with a single-finger head that dissipated quickly. The smell is mostly sweet malts. The taste is a combination of malts and hops that hit at the same time for a very clean taste overall. This beer is thin with a medium amount of carbonation that makes for a very refreshing beer that I could probably enjoy all night.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sorry but this following comment is in french :

Appearance : dorée, étincelante
Smell : arôme floral, épicé, bien houblonné (saaz)
Taste and mouthfeel : belle amertume, finale sèche
Drinkability : Sans doute moins typée qu'a l'origine (Archetype de la Pilsener).

3.53/5  rDev -3%

Pours a clear golden color with a one-finger white head, that dissipated quite rapidly leave a layer of tiny bubbles on top of the beer.

Like almost every Pilsner-Urquell I've had in the States, this bottle has skunked. The only time I've had this where it did not smell skunky was while in Amsterdam (same with Heineken). Underneath that skunkiness though, and based off what I can remember from my Europe trip, there is a decidedly bread/yeast smell, with a nice floral/lemony background.

What's great is I don't taste any skunkiness in the beer, even if it is present on the nose. It has an upfront mildly sweet maltiness, almost fresh baked biscuit-like in flavor, that is balanced admirably with a mild floral hop bitterness toward the end.

Light bodied, high carbonation and very refreshing. I like to pick these up in the summer, it's a great refreshing alternative to American Macros to drink around the BBQ or campfire.

3.53/5  rDev -3%

Poured from a 0.5 l can into a pilsner glass. Best by date is JN.08.15.

Look -- Pours a straw color with 2 fingers of quickly dissipating loose head. No lacing to speak of.

Smell -- Herbal/grassy hops and biscuity malt along with diacetyl.

Taste -- Like the nose, biscuity malt give light sweetness, herbal/grassy hops with a hint of spiciness, and diacetyl. Pleasant light bitterness.

Feel -- Good carbonation and light body leave the beer crisp and clean on the palate.

Overall -- A pleasant enough light and refreshing pilsner. I'm not a big fan of the diacetyl even though I understand it's characteristic of the beer. I'm not sure just how much of the diacetyl I'm tasting and smelling is intended by the brewer and how much is a consequence of handling. The beer is in code however so I'm just rating it straight.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Yellow colour, nice dense head, lots of carbonation rising up

S: bready, some faint hops and something floral

T: nice bitterness at the beginning and the aftertaste; some hops some malts, every now ant than a strong alcohol kick

M:right density, enough carbonation, but the alcohol kicks aren't pleasant

O: I expected more of this father of pilseners

3.53/5  rDev -3%

A good tapped Pilsner is a good Pilsner, too bad it's not easy to find even in Czech Republic.

A: Golden and calm, no carbonation at glance, the head has its self-esteem.

S: Strong on hops, what defines a pilsner.

T: Hops follows the smell, if you look deep enough you can feel some lemon, bitterness and spice.

M: Medium body with light carbonation on the tongue.

D: Varies, if you've tasted this beer in US, it has little to do with real Pilsner taste from Czech Republic. Come and visit us, you will taste it for your own and be the best judge. I personally enjoy it only if it's poured very well.

3.52/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A great example of a pilsner. Used to be my favorite, went a little downhill. Looks ultra clear, lots of bubbles, thin head. Smell, zippy as if the bubbles are going right up your nose.

Good taste, great summer beer hop quality. Very light, but at the same time, has some flavor heft despite no malt to speak of. Mouthfeel is a little simple, nothing complex to speak of throughout. Very drinkable, easy drinking, and you can usually catch it on sale every other weekend. Points for good skunky lager flavor.

Pilsner Urquell from Plzeňský Prazdroj