Pilsner Urquell | Plzeňský Prazdroj

Added by Bitterbill on 09-10-2000

3.4

Ratings: 3,852 |  Reviews: 1,490
3.56/5  rDev -0.8%

500ml can from the LCBO, wouldn't touch this beer in a bottle, damn green bottles skunk too fast.

Pours a crystal clear golden sunset shade, I do mean crystal clear. Two fingers of foam build on the pour and slowly fizz out to a thin collar and then nothing.

Nose is quite light, a hint of the caramel biscuit base and an even fainter hint of the hops, a hint of fruits?

I used to think pils were all bland, boring skunked beers until recently when I found a few well hopped, craft options that made me think this could be my go to session style. Unfortunately, this one falls short of some of the other craft options, even in the can. A well built, smooth drinking biscuit base but it's the hops that are a bit of a let down. Standard grassy Saaz with a mild bite but they never grab you - medium finish, they never stand up and take a bow, mere sidekicks. A hint of floral as well. Which is not a bad thing all the time. Makes for a really approachable, drinkable beer. I would certainly order it when faced with BMC options. But it doesn't live up to what I want out of a truly quality pils - bold hopping, spicy delights.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Often skunky due to green bottle. Tastes better during the summer months.

3.56/5  rDev -0.8%

The first time I drank this, was from a green bottle and never could recover from the skunky smell. I found a single 500 ml can, so want to try again. Plus I can add the can to my collection.
Two tone gold and dark green can, "The original pilsner from Pilsen". Best before date stamped on the bottom.
Shimmery golden color with a puffy white head. Decent retention, foam tightens and shrinks, but doesn't disappear, good looking lace too.
Smell has some grassy hops, a touch of malt sweetness, and guess what - no 'green bottle skunk'.
Taste has some sweet, grain malt flavors. Lots of earthy hoppiness. Crisp and clean, what a true pilsner should be. Light (but appropriate) body and mouthfeel, moderate carbonation. Very drinkable, especially on a hot summer day.
Long live the UV light protecting can!

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Serving Type: 500 mL can poured into stemmed pilsner (beer tulip) glass.

Appearance: Clear, brilliant gold color. Soft, frothy head recedes to a fine haze; produces slight lacing.

Smell: Clean, mild, grassy hops balanced by bread maltiness.

Taste: Crisp, clean bitterness with lingering dry finish. Hops balance well against sweet malt body.

Mouthfeel: Full but soft carbonation. Light to medium body with smooth, creamy mouthfeel.

Overall: Although not overly remarkable, enjoyable in its overall balance.

Notes: Far from the memories of draft tasted at the brewery in Plzen during the 1990s, but currently much better in cans than earlier green bottles.

3.56/5  rDev -0.8%

A: An agressive pour gets a nice foamy two finger head that lingers around for quite some time. Beer is golden which can be seen through well. Lacing hangs around for the duration of the beer.

S: Hops and some malt, not much here. Little bit of alcohol can be detected in the nose.

T: Caramel malt up front. Moderate floral hops finish it out.

M: High carbonation, light body. Bitterness from the hops linger around for a while.

D: Very drinkable beer. Like to pair this with Chinese or Thai food, goes down easy. Not a bad session beer at 4.4%. The hops keep it above par.

3.56/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Serving type: bottle into a Stella Artois glass

I was very reserved when cracking this bottle. I've always wanted to try what a real pilsner tasted like. The green bottle definitely puts off the more seasoned drinkers. I was expecting extreme oxidation.

The beer pours a dark straw or golden color. Definitely darker than most American pilsners. Aroma was disheartening. Definitely a scent of oxidation and cooked corn (DMS). But to be fair slight DMS is a trait of pilsners.

Taste was surprisingly not oxidized. Typical lager characteristics such as sulfur. Almost a hint of a clover honey. Great body for a pilsner as well. Definitely a welcome surprise. Somewhat drinkable but didn't make me want to have another.

Overall a very surprisingly good beer. I was expecting Bud or Coors and i got something better. Still had some flaws but definitely not a terrible beer.

3.56/5  rDev -0.8%

Bought a 6 pack after trying it for the first time and liking it on St. Patty's day. I wasn't able to find a sealed 12 pack, so I'm not sure how much light has affected the green bottle.

Golden/Honey colored with a quickly dissipating head.

Aroma is sweet/malty and slightly hoppy, although not too strong.

Taste is quite sweet with some bitterness, very crisp and refreshing. First taste to last taste, it seems to have changed somewhat for the better. More flavorful than most common name pilsners.

Mouthfeel is very good, with just the right amount of carbonation to give this a smooth, crisp, refreshing feeling. Not too heavy, but not too thin either.

Definitely rather high on my drinkability list. I'm not familiar with the old style, but I think I will continue to buy this beer occasionally.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.56/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.55/5  rDev -1.1%

I tried this with a friend who's really into pilsners lately.

The color is sort of a clear golden copper. A one-finger head dissipates pretty quickly and there isn't much lacing to speak of.

The smell is a combination of floral and citrus hops with husky grains. A little bit of malt almost evens it out.

The taste is pretty crisp. Strong hops make the first impression then grainy notes and floral citrus. A malty flavor is more of an aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is pretty good; crisp and smooth and not thick but not so thin as to seem watery. Carbonation is lively but not overbearing. Mouthfeel is probably the best aspect of this beer.

All in all quite drinkable.

Pint Bottle.
Pours out clear golden, with a egg shell white head that lingers for a while, and leaves patchy lacing.
Aroma is mostly bready with some floral hops. No skunkiness detected.
Flavor is slightly malty, slightly spicy, a little honey.
nice bitter finish.

3.55/5  rDev -1.1%

A : Pale yellow with a finger of white head. The head goes off completely and leaves little traces of lacing

S : Sweet, floral hops with a little notes of wet grass

T : I find no sweetness at all, only a citrusy bitterness. The malt is present, but the sweetness you usually associate with a malty brew is not there

M : Bitter and dry aftertaste, overly carbonated - but in the right way

D: Definitely easy drinking

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a pilsner. Appearance is clear, pale straw-gold with nice effervescence, but the head was smaller than I was expecting. The nose is flowery and dry. Champagne-like.

The beer has a light body and a very clean flavor. I get faint bready flavors, like crackers, which develop into flowery, peppery flavors at mid-palate. The finish is dry and has vestiges of apple skins.

Overall, I have to say this is a solid example of the style. Pilsners are not my favorite style (I strongly prefer American IPAs), but this one has all the trademarks you look for. It has a clean flavor, a flowery aroma, and you can taste both the malt and the hops. I wish I could remember what this stuff tasted like several years ago before they ramped up their production.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

,A- That pale yellow colour I have come to expect with an average, frothy white head. Decent.

S- A decent nose. There is a slight caramel maltiness intermingling with a citrus hop overtone. Thanks to the green bottle, there is also a noticeable level of skunk. Even so, this is not unpleasant.

T- Stock standard. I wasn't exactly expecting a complex bonquet but this delivers nothing more than any other 'big name' Pilsner. Maybe there is a very slight caramel undertone but this could be wishful thinking. In saying all that, however, this is far from being actually bad. I knew what I was getting and this beer delivers exactly that: Citrus hops all the way with a balance of malts with a slightly lingering bitter aftertaste.

M- Not as light as I was expecting. A decent body with some nice, fizzy carbonation. Works perfectly for this beer.

O- Well, this brew doesn't disappoint, that's for sure. However, it doesn't really add anything new or different to the world of pilsners out there. Its biggest problem is that it really lacks a defining character. Still, I did enjoy this for that familiar taste, plus it was incredibly easy to suck down.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.55/5  rDev -1.1%

Pours a nice gold with a moderately sized head that shrinks rather quickly. Smelled just a bit skunky before the pour but no sign of that whatsoever after filling the glass. The aroma is of grass & grains combined with a nice sweet fruit complimenting it. A smooth and crisp taste, not complex but enjoyable with a solid bite. The mouthfeel is smooth and mostly balanced, a bit on the carbonated side. Very drinkable and worthy of consideration for a session.

3.55/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Used to be my favorite pilsner, I dunno what happened, corporate buy out or otherwise, it kinda went downhill. Straw yellow color out of a green bottle. Lots of head falls apart quick. Aroma hit those skunky notes I like.

Taste is a zippy light malt beer with lots of carbonation and a respectable degree of noble hops. I'm a fan, good lager skunk yeast notes, prickly hops and carbonation, light body. Can drink lots of these.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a golden slightly hazy with a foamy head with less than average retention.
When held to the nose a strong grassy gain is most noticeable, as well as hops. Hints of citrus/orange are also in there.
Taste: hoppy bitterness on the strong side with a dry finish. All of which I like.
This is a beer to drink slowly and would be good at meal time (with food).

3.55/5  rDev -1.1%

Served on draught in Kelly's bar in Galway, Ireland, one of two pubs that I know serves it (the other being the Bierhaus). Served in a Pilsener Urquell pint glass. The barmaid double-poured it. I wonder if this is standard practice in the Czech Republic.

A: Pours a clear pale gold with a beautifully thick, creamy head of excellent retention.

Sm: Very very light. Just fresh treated barley.

T: Brilliant. Complex body perfectly balances hops, barley, and malt. Delightfully crisp finish; unique I think to this beer. The finish has its own taste, the third act in a well-done play. The open is a bit rushed.

Mf: Masterful balancing of dryness, coarseness, and smoothness. Feels nicely smooth without being watery. Built on top of the smoothness is a coarse fizziness about halfway through that dies just before the finish making me want more.

Dr: At four quid, it's a tough call on whether to get it over Guinness in an Irish pub. When you're in a pilsener mood, this is the beer to go to. Certainly, Czech prices would make this beer an excellent choice.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

One of the "1001 Beers You Must Taste Before You Die" -- #23 of the ones I've reviewed here.

This is a favorite beer of mine, though I've never had it on tap and I suspect I might bump my score up a bit if I ever get the chance (this is the sort of beer that's really meant to be drunk fresh out of a keg). While not the best Pilsner out there, it's probably my personal reference point for the style -- when I'm trying another Pilsner and I want to decide what I think of it, I usually compare it mentally to this. I would also give somebody who never had a Pilsner and wanted to know what that was like a bottle of this, it's the best introduction to the style I know.

Interesting notes include the color, which is surprisingly golden, the very light nose of hops and yeast which is mapped in the flavors, and the lasting lightly bitter/hoppy finish.

It's not a beer that you need to spend a lot of time talking about, and I think nowadays it's even a little underrated as a result. It is what it is, but "what it is" is pretty good, I think.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Golden straw, with a mediocre head of foam that doesn't linger long.

S: Citrus, grain, and a skunky aroma

T: Hops bitterness is up-front with this beer, not a finishing note like with many I've tasted. Grassy taste is a distant second. Malt sweetness is an afterthought.

M: Moist, not much carbonation

O: Not at all bad, but fairly one-dimentional. I'll file this one away for a safe but mundane option at a future dinner party or restaurant.

3.55/5  rDev -1.1%

Picked up a single of this at the grocery store, figured it was worth a shot. Poured into a dimpled pint.

A: 2 fingers of head, dissipated fairly quickly. Color was a golden apple cider. Not much lace to speak of.

S: Saaz hop spice, not much else.

T: Sweet, grainy malt. More Saaz hop spice, very faint mineral taste.

M: Mild finish, light bodied, easy to drink.

O: Nothing too spectacular but it definitely gets points for being the first Pils ever, let alone the first golden lager.

Pilsner Urquell from Plzeňský Prazdroj