Pilsner Urquell | Plzeňský Prazdroj

Style: Czech Pilsener

Added by Bitterbill on 09-10-2000

Ratings: 3,773 |  Reviews: 1,472

1.06/5  rDev -70.9%

Quote from my fiancee: "Does 'crappy' have one or 2 p's?" That says it all. I think I had a bottle that was exposed to the light too long because the skunk smell was literally unbearable. Whatever positives in the flavor were drowned out by the horrid stench. I will have to try this one again sometime...

1.12/5  rDev -69.2%

OK, so maybe I got a skunked version of this beer, but drinking this was truly a nauseating experience. It had really bad skunky aroma, the taste was bitter and the mouthfeel made me want to puke. I would re-review this if I got a decent example, but I am not sure I ever want to lay eyes on another one of these nasty brews again. If the beer was spoiled in transit, then maybe the brewers want to rethink their bottling/distributorship/label dating. This was an awful, awful beer.

1.12/5  rDev -69.2%

I watched the movie "Somm" and they talk about "freshly opened can of tennis balls" being the big new thing in aromas. With this beer, it's more like a "freshly opened box of tennis shoes, that's been worn a few times before". Totally nasty, will not be trying this again, and likely throwing the remaining 5.5 bottles out.

1.25/5  rDev -65.7%

1.28/5  rDev -64.8%

1.32/5  rDev -63.7%

First had: ? (a random bar somewhere)

I'm just not a pils fan, and this is no champion among them. Pours a clear, yellow color, carbonated, with a quickly-dissipating white head. Weak grains and some grassy funk in the aroma. Weak, sweet, malts, grainy, with bitter hops that create a metallic sensation. Light bodied and not at all pleasurable to drink.

1.33/5  rDev -63.5%

Right from the bottle, this offering gave off a skunky aroma, which made me hesitate a bit on going in for a taste. When finally taking the plunge, the taste was not as skunky as the smell. After a few sips, it just tasted a bit like your average watered down pilsner. This was the first time I had this beer, so it's possible this could have been a bad batch, but from this one offering I was less than pleased.

1.33/5  rDev -63.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Overall, I was extremely disappointed in the aroma and taste of the beer. The color was very gold and rich. The Aroma did not smell very well. The taste was extremely bitter, acidic and sour. The taste did have a hint of coffee. Pilsner had a very negative aftertaste of the beer. The beer was disappointing.

1.36/5  rDev -62.6%

I had a 500ml can of this the other night. This was the most disgusting beer I had ever drank in my life. The taste was absolutely horrible, taste something like vinegar.

I wouldn't recommend this to anyone and do not plan on drinking this beer ever again. I don't know how anyone could possibly give this beer a good review.

1.37/5  rDev -62.4%

This is an abhorrent beer. I simply do not understand how anyone could think otherwise. The only way I could possibly describe this beer is if you took some san pedro cactus tea and mixed it with some beer. The aftertaste is morally wrong and I will never forgive this company for this horrifying experience I paid them to endure. There is nothing positive to say about this beer, other than that their logo looks nice. I would only ever drink this again if it were free, and even then I would be profoundly upset to do so, and I would only ingest it in the first place because I have no self respect. I'd even rather drink fucking Tecate than this swill.

1.41/5  rDev -61.3%

I hated this beer I expected more and got shit, this beer is no better than corona, except that corona has a lime thing going on, this beer has no flavor it tastes like Someone tried steeping one kernel of barely in a five gallon pot, it has no dynamic, just water with a grainy aftertaste, I do not recommend it. Never buying this again

1.48/5  rDev -59.3%

Brilliantly clear, dark golden with brass accents, forming a poofy white head with surprisingly decent retention and very nice lacing. Carbonation is moderately strong, forming some streamers. Aroma is skunky with notes of freshly cut hay, sweet grainy malts and floral hops. Mouthfeel is soft, although decidingly NOT smooth, with a medium body and an astringent, tannic finish. Taste begins with skunky thiols, followed by a rather intense dry bitterness which continues through, and surpasses the finish, leaving the mouth with a very dry, tacky, aftertaste. There is a touch of sweet malt and corn in the middle, obscured for the most part by the skunk. The finish has very strong notes of lemon rind. I've certainly had much better pilseners, and perhaps this is good when it's not skunked, but I've had this on many, many occasions and it's always been skunked. I've even had a friend from the Czech republic bring me a bottle back home and it was just as nasty as the stuff I get locally. The fact that the beer is in green bottles is a testament that the brewery just doesn't care about it's beer. Big black mark to you, Urquell.

Pilsner Urquell from Plzeňský Prazdroj