Pilsner Urquell | Plzeňský Prazdroj

Style: Czech Pilsener

Added by Bitterbill on 09-10-2000

Reviews: 1,449 | Ratings: 3,687
3.99/5  rDev +9.6%

poured into my pilsner glass from a bottle.

It had a soft, foamy head that looked great. It's pale, but not as pale as a light beer would be. This is what I think of when I think of a pale beer!

This beer's scent was spicey, with a strong hop assertiveness. It also had a slight fruity smell, almost citric in nature. This is the weakest part of this beer.

It's very clean tasting and refreshing, with very slight caramel and raisin-ish notes. There is a soft hoppy aftertaste as well. Good stuff.

The mouthfeel is super light. This is an easy drinker with a very clean, refreshing taste. This is how a pilsner should be!

3.88/5  rDev +6.6%

Yellow-gold in color with a decent head and lace. Some floral hops in the aroma. Taste of the hops and a nice malt flavor. A very well rounded pilsner. Overall one of the better pilsner beers out there. This beer has somehow become popular among the "yuppie crowd", (what a shame)

3.75/5  rDev +3%

Poured into a mug, clean golden, with next to no head retention.

The usual hoppy smell I've seen with all of this style. A slight breadly aroma, but only barely. The malts are noted only slightly as well.

Taste continues from the smell, the Saaz hops pronounced with a little malty taste noticeable. A bunch of others are saying some metal, but I just can't I dunno maybe it's their bottles. It finishes clearly.

The body is light, but with much carbonation. It's dry and smooth as it finishes.

This can be drunk all day. With 4.4 ABV there's no harm really. Well made for the hotter summer months which we're rolling out of, but hey I think you could pick this up whenever and be happy.

4.27/5  rDev +17.3%

12 oz green bottle to pilsner glass
Best by 12-5-10

A: Pours clear light amber with a 2.5 finger egg-shell white frothy that reduced to a small half-dollar cap leaving spotty lace on its way down.

S: Sweet husky Pils malt with a subtle Saaz backdrop

T: Crisp flavor. Pilsner malt sweetness as in the nose with a Saaz bitterness that lingers slightly. A light mineral character. Hop character is grassy. Maltiness builds throughtout bordering caramel-like

M: Small-bubble carbonation that supported the head nicely. Finish is crisp and body is light-medium.

D: Clean and crisp flavor and uber-refreshing.

3.28/5  rDev -9.9%

This nice pilsner pours a golden straw color with a good head that keeps a nice layer on top of the beer. It has hoppy aroma with some light floral scents. The taste has some bite to it with the potent hops. The mouthfeel is fairly smooth with some carbonation but the drinkability is less than fair. This is a decent pilsner but I will probably avoid it in the future.

4.07/5  rDev +11.8%

It is a great injustice that the word "pilsner" has been sullied by certain macro-brews. Urquell is a real pilsner.

The color is a lovely, clear 24k gold; a snow white head appears and quickly dissipates.

Full bouquet- hops, butter, pine sap, a bit of sulphur, and something faintly flowery, perhaps lavender.

This beer has a bracing bitterness that holds steadily into the finish. The flavors reflect the aroma, with the butter and pine sap predominating. There is a spiciness that reminds me of fresh arugula, and the fine effervescence keeps it refreshing.

This is one of the more food-friendly beers I can think of. It is not too heavy nor too light, and it possesses the ability to meld with other flavors and not dominate. It can be quite interesting and satisfying on its own, too. Good French wines can also do that.

3.34/5  rDev -8.2%

Clear very golden color. smells decent I did detect a little skunk but oh well. The flovor is strong but very pleasent sweetness and bitter meld together in an enjoyable combination. I enjoyed this brew. Got the tall boy 1pt. 6.3 oz bottle and I wish I would have got the sixer. Very good Pislner worth the money you pay for it. All pilsners should wish to be this good, and we all know that there is a mess load of crappy ones. Yummy!!

3.78/5  rDev +3.8%

This is, to me, the quintesesntial pilsner. Crisp and clean, easy to drink with a nice hop profile, I like to keep a few of these around at all times in the warmer months. My wife will tell you this is my favorite "shower beer," on a hot day, after a good long run, there is nothing like takin' down an Urquell in the shower.

I read recently that this beer, and pilsners in general, became popular when Europeans began to switch from drinking out of clay and earthen mugs to glass because the color and clearness of beer became suddenly important. Something we all take for granted now, of course, but interesting to think about.

3.75/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Fairly aggressive pour yields a small layer of off-white foam that quickly recedes to a few bubbles around the rim. Crystal clear, light golden yellow in color.

Classic floral/grape-like clean lager smell with a dose of earthy grains and barely-perceptible European (Saaz?) hops. Very similar flavor, with a noticeable, appropriate spicy hop bitterness. Malt is light and crisp. Not too much going on here, but nothing off-putting.

Light on the palate with medium-high carbonation, which is surprising considering the lack of head or rising bubbles. For one of my least favorite styles, this may be the best yet. I could drink this all night.

4.2/5  rDev +15.4%

The Original. and I am usually biased towards the original of anything.

This beer looks great, smells great and tastes great. I am a big fan of Pilsners and lagers, and I gotta say, this is a great one. Hard to beat.

Now if I can only get to Prague and try some with some roasted pork and dumplings.

2.18/5  rDev -40.1%

Appearance - Rich golden hue, no head at all, with a great deal of carbonation.

Smell - Nothing special, smelled like Bud.

Taste - Lots of hop bitterness with a mild hop aftertaste. Kind of burns the tongue a little bit and the bitterness remains upto 30 seconds after sips.

Drinkability - If you're a fan of bitter beers, this drink is for you. Just a clean, crisp, bitter taste.

3.43/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had from 500mL can purchased in Portland, OR. Best by date of Feb 08, 2016.

Pours a deep golden straw color with an impressive creamy white head. It dissipates relatively quickly, but it leaves behind a very appetizing clumpy white lacing.

Steely hop and herbal aromas are immediately noticeable even pouring the brew at a distance. Lightly toasted grain, grass, bread yeast, crab apples, yeasty bread dough, as well as a touch of fresh baked biscuits and caramel brittle.

Medium to medium-light on the palate with with a light malty backbone giving way to a pleasant finish of bitter hops, pine, and fresh herbs.

Overall this is quite refreshing. Very glad to see this come in cans instead of the green bottles. Much, much, better and less skunky. Very crisp and refreshing. However, it stills doesn't seem to taste as good as it does on draft in the Czech Republic. Although the astounding beauty of the Czech Republic could likely polish a turd.

2.15/5  rDev -40.9%

A - Yellow-goldish appearance on initial pour, medium amounts of foamy lacing appearing on the Pilsner-style glass after consumption, Very dense foamy head that settles at about the 3/4 finger mark. High carbonation.

S - Floral notes throughout, with very subtle grassy notes slowly following the initial floral notes.

T - Very malty with a slightly bitter taste for the type of beer it is, sometimes present in beers with a higher ABV%. A "dry" beer with a malty aftertaste.

M - Velvety; pleasant, albeit has "dry" aftertaste.

D - Goes down a tad rough at first but it redeems itself later the more you drink of it, and more floral notes shine through.

2.74/5  rDev -24.7%

Appearance: Nice head. Plenty of visible carbonation. Light lacing. Light copper color. Very clear.

Smell: Smells just like it tastes. Malty, sourdough biscuit aroma.

Taste: Malty, sourdough biscuit flavor. Bitter but no floral hops.

Mouthfeel: Bitter. Nice carbonation. Flavor lingers.

Overall: Disappointing. Where is the floral hop finish? Tastes like an imitation of Heineken. I've been to Germany and tasted real Pilseners. This isn't one of them. That being said, not a bad session beer if you like a bitter lager.

4.13/5  rDev +13.5%

12 oz. bottle from Trader Joe’s. The nose gives off a slight whiff of skunk that doesn’t come through in the taste. Pours a clear straw yellow with a white head that fizzles down to a thin cap. Tasty Pilsen malt sweetness transitions to Saaz hops bitterness. Good carbonation. Excellent balance. A crisp and refreshing pilsner. Love the low ABV.

2.09/5  rDev -42.6%

There was an old Monty Python joke about American beer, something about a canoe, but the point was that American beer doesn't have a very strong taste. Well, that's what I have to say about this. It's pretty doggone close to water. It barely had any aroma at all, and it didn't have much taste either.

I was at a family and friends gathering, and I figured that being knee-walking, toilet hugging drunk might make being around my family bearable so when the hostess mentioned beer, I made a bee-line to the fridge. I had one bottle of this. I realized that I'd have to drink two cases just to get a buzz so I just stopped after one bottle. It wasn't worth it.

3.8/5  rDev +4.4%

Finally had one of these on tap last night. Tried it before from a bottle, but it was skunked to high-heaven. (big surprise)

Poured with a finger of head. Healthy golden color. Aroma is just a kiss of hoppiness.

Taste - Oh, this is what a "light" beer is supposed to be. Nothing earth shattering, just lightly hoppy and delicious. This is the first time I've tasted saaz hops and simply enjoyed it instead of wishing it was cascade, chinook, or centennial instead. I would keep this in my fridge on a regular basis if I could buy it in good condition. Perfectly drinkable.

So it's brewed with 70something percent hop extract now? Oh, well. I guess that doesn't necessarily mean bad beer.

3.56/5  rDev -2.2%

Bought a 6 pack after trying it for the first time and liking it on St. Patty's day. I wasn't able to find a sealed 12 pack, so I'm not sure how much light has affected the green bottle.

Golden/Honey colored with a quickly dissipating head.

Aroma is sweet/malty and slightly hoppy, although not too strong.

Taste is quite sweet with some bitterness, very crisp and refreshing. First taste to last taste, it seems to have changed somewhat for the better. More flavorful than most common name pilsners.

Mouthfeel is very good, with just the right amount of carbonation to give this a smooth, crisp, refreshing feeling. Not too heavy, but not too thin either.

Definitely rather high on my drinkability list. I'm not familiar with the old style, but I think I will continue to buy this beer occasionally.

3.12/5  rDev -14.3%

A- copper colored with virtually no head or retention to speak of.

S-bread and saaz hops

T-very bitter , more so than I remember from past experiences. A slight metallic taste begins each sip followed by sharp hop bite(exctract).

M- Medium light body and highly carbonated.

O- A bit of a let down, average at best and sad to think this used to be the epitome of the pilsner style.

3.56/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Serving type: bottle into a Stella Artois glass

I was very reserved when cracking this bottle. I've always wanted to try what a real pilsner tasted like. The green bottle definitely puts off the more seasoned drinkers. I was expecting extreme oxidation.

The beer pours a dark straw or golden color. Definitely darker than most American pilsners. Aroma was disheartening. Definitely a scent of oxidation and cooked corn (DMS). But to be fair slight DMS is a trait of pilsners.

Taste was surprisingly not oxidized. Typical lager characteristics such as sulfur. Almost a hint of a clover honey. Great body for a pilsner as well. Definitely a welcome surprise. Somewhat drinkable but didn't make me want to have another.

Overall a very surprisingly good beer. I was expecting Bud or Coors and i got something better. Still had some flaws but definitely not a terrible beer.

3.98/5  rDev +9.3%

Clear gold/amber color, nice foamy head.

A little bit closed on the nose but what there is there is fresh, and floral. The scents that get through are beautiful, if only there were more of them

Smooth and spicy at all at once. Nice hoppy bite but not that overwhelming bitterness an IPA would have. Delicious and spicy.
Medium bodied, not light or watery at all.

A good pilsner is the perfect beer.
This stuff isn't perfect but it is damn good. A true joy to drink. Loaded with flavors and great to drink anytime.

3.9/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A: Light amber with a lot of carbonation. Small head that dissipates quickly, leaves little to no lacing.

S: Great smell. Citrus, flowers, and malts. Draws you in immediately.

T: Good taste. Citrus at the start, some malts in the middle with a slight hoppy finish.

M: A lot of carbonation, I think it could have done with a lot less. Smooth.

D: Easy drinker.

I had a couple of these with a friend at a conference discussing the lectures we heard. Great stuff for such conversations. I'd seek it out again.

3.33/5  rDev -8.5%

I sampled a mug of this beer while on vacation in the Czech Republic. After a long exhausting day of marching the frigid winter streets of Prague this beer tasted like liquid bliss. However, after reading these reviews I get the impression that this beer is much better on tap and close to the source (the way I tasted it). It's a light but very bitter pilsner. It was decent, but nothing astonishing. I imagine if I tasted other pilsners this one wouldn't stand out in my mind.

I reviewed this beer from a bottle and gave it a C+...on tap it was another story.

On tap this beer was absolutely delicious!!!
Makes me think that there is just a high chance of this beer getting "skunked" in the bottle.

Beautiful hop finish, and very drinkable.

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

So this is the original, the beer we have to thank for insipid watery American macro lagers? I'll try not to hold that against it.

It certainly looks like a yellow fizzy beer. But with more aroma. Very crisp taste. Some hop character.

Is Urquell better than Bud/Miller/Coors? Certainly. Is it better enough? I guess I'm just not a big fan of the Pilsner style.

Pilsner Urquell from Plzeňský Prazdroj