Pilsner Urquell | Plzeňský Prazdroj

4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

4.25/5  rDev +16.8%

3.75/5  rDev +3%

3.55/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

One of the "1001 Beers You Must Taste Before You Die" -- #23 of the ones I've reviewed here.

This is a favorite beer of mine, though I've never had it on tap and I suspect I might bump my score up a bit if I ever get the chance (this is the sort of beer that's really meant to be drunk fresh out of a keg). While not the best Pilsner out there, it's probably my personal reference point for the style -- when I'm trying another Pilsner and I want to decide what I think of it, I usually compare it mentally to this. I would also give somebody who never had a Pilsner and wanted to know what that was like a bottle of this, it's the best introduction to the style I know.

Interesting notes include the color, which is surprisingly golden, the very light nose of hops and yeast which is mapped in the flavors, and the lasting lightly bitter/hoppy finish.

It's not a beer that you need to spend a lot of time talking about, and I think nowadays it's even a little underrated as a result. It is what it is, but "what it is" is pretty good, I think.

3.75/5  rDev +3%

3.6/5  rDev -1.1%

Serving Type - 500ml can, poured into a pilsner glass

Appearance - Pours a pale straw colour, but somehow darker than most pilsners. Sot of 'golden' coloured. A thin white head dissipates quickly. The filtered brew showcases the carbonation.

Smell - Some grains and bready smells. Not much of anything else that I can pick up.

Taste - Sweeter than I was anticipating. Grains, grass, dough - standard fare for a pilsner. Towards the finish I'm picking up an incredibly light citrus taste.

Mouthfeel - Medium carbonation, average to low for the style. Body isn't to heavy and isn't to light. Just right. Finishes crisp and satisfying.

Overal - 3.5/5.