Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Pilsner Urquell | Plzeňský Prazdroj

3.4

Ratings: 3,869 |  Reviews: 1,493

3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

3.55/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

One of the "1001 Beers You Must Taste Before You Die" -- #23 of the ones I've reviewed here.

This is a favorite beer of mine, though I've never had it on tap and I suspect I might bump my score up a bit if I ever get the chance (this is the sort of beer that's really meant to be drunk fresh out of a keg). While not the best Pilsner out there, it's probably my personal reference point for the style -- when I'm trying another Pilsner and I want to decide what I think of it, I usually compare it mentally to this. I would also give somebody who never had a Pilsner and wanted to know what that was like a bottle of this, it's the best introduction to the style I know.

Interesting notes include the color, which is surprisingly golden, the very light nose of hops and yeast which is mapped in the flavors, and the lasting lightly bitter/hoppy finish.

It's not a beer that you need to spend a lot of time talking about, and I think nowadays it's even a little underrated as a result. It is what it is, but "what it is" is pretty good, I think.

3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

3.6/5  rDev +0.3%

Serving Type - 500ml can, poured into a pilsner glass

Appearance - Pours a pale straw colour, but somehow darker than most pilsners. Sot of 'golden' coloured. A thin white head dissipates quickly. The filtered brew showcases the carbonation.

Smell - Some grains and bready smells. Not much of anything else that I can pick up.

Taste - Sweeter than I was anticipating. Grains, grass, dough - standard fare for a pilsner. Towards the finish I'm picking up an incredibly light citrus taste.

Mouthfeel - Medium carbonation, average to low for the style. Body isn't to heavy and isn't to light. Just right. Finishes crisp and satisfying.

Overal - 3.5/5.

4.22/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured in the appropriate glass, this Pilsner shows its exuberant, absolutely clear golden appearance. Exactly what I expect from such style. The aroma and taste bring grain and biscuit tones, well-paired with the Saaz hops (which brings grassy and citric notes). We have a background sweetness alluded by the low-temperature malting. Finally, the light, medium-carbonated body leaves us with a brief aftertaste (as it should be in the style) displaying the Saaz exuberance.

4.52/5  rDev +25.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

After drinking this on tap all over Prague, and having it "mliko" style at the brewery, I can honestly say that consuming this in the place it's brewed and meant to be served makes all the difference. One of the defining beer experiences of my life, and something I'll dream about having fresh from the source for years to come. Worth a trip to the Czech Republic just to drink this beer as it's meant to be consumed. Trust me on this one.

Pilsner Urquell from Plzeňský Prazdroj