Pilsner Urquell | Plzeňský Prazdroj

Style: Czech Pilsener

Added by Bitterbill on 09-10-2000

Ratings: 3,773 |  Reviews: 1,472
3.55/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.49/5  rDev -4.1%

This is a sluggin beer best drunk cool to cold out of a large stein. Not even close to as good out of a bottle, sorry. Not because the beer itself is worse (that argument always perplexed me) but because you really need to be able to take big swigs, preferably out of a heavier vessel that you need your entire hand to operate, to get the proper experience and let this brew truly work its magic.

What magic, you ask? The magic of transporting you to an earlier time and place, before you gave a shit about hop combinations and barrel treatments, before you'd ever woken up early to stand in line for beer, before you'd become so insufferable as to use "collab" and "ddh" in your daily speech. Way back when when, to you, beer tasted like fuckin beer and you drank it by the pintful because it was good.

Pilsner urquell is just that: a really good beer. Damn good actually. Looks like a beer, very inviting in that dimpled mug. Aroma is nothing to write home about- Pilsner, earthy, spicy saaz hops. Smells like a beer.

The taste is where this baby shines. I've had my share of American and European pilsners and lagers in general (haven't we all) and this stands out. Starts out a touch sweet, a little white bread and cracker, but then I get a minerality that I really love - not metallic, but a bit stony or flinty. Finishes with a rather sharp earthy/piney bitterness that sets it apart from other pilsners too. If I'd had this back before I knew anything about beer, I would have loved it then too.

But really, the experience is what did it for me. Late night at work, I'm starving and exhausted, i find a spot right outside of wurstbar, so I pop in for a bite and a brew. And even after I have a small taste of some singlecut hop bomb that on another day I wouldn't have hesitated to get the full pour of, I opt for a half liter of Pilsner urquell instead.
Paired it with currywurst and fries. Hit. The. Spot. Sometimes I forget how well a pint of a good lighter, flavorful pils can do that.

2.56/5  rDev -29.7%

Look: yellow/golden

Smell: sweet, honey, fruity

Taste: bitter, acidic

Was not what I expected. The look and smell was completely different than the taste... the strong bitter and acidic taste threw me off. Not a huge fan.

3.84/5  rDev +5.5%

3.35/5  rDev -8%

This was not my favorite beer. It has a light yellow color, buttery smell, and light grassy taste.

3.75/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.18/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Here's the thing, pilsners are not my thing, but this one is superb. Clean, crisp, drinkable, and with enough bitterness to keep it interesting. Look is excellent, taste is great. A rewarding beer, and an explanation in a glass of why this is a dominant style in the industry.

3.59/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.96/5  rDev +8.8%

PLZENSKY PRAZDROJ PILSNER URQUELL 4/14/17

Poured from the 12 oz. bottle into a Unibroue stemmed pilsner

a: Clear dark gold/amber with an inch thick white head which receded to patchy surface foam and light lacing.

s; Mild bready malt.

t: Follows the nose with later light fruit and honey notes. Dry finish.

m; Medium, good body and carbonation tingle.

o; A substantial pilsner, claimed to be the original one, heftier in appearance and body than many but a good clean and slightly sweet flavor.

4.24/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Slightly sweet biscuity, bready malt. Great subtle spicy hop aroma and flavour. Saaz is really one of my favourite hops when used well, which this is the finest example of. Finishes fairly clean and refreshing

2.84/5  rDev -22%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

3.31/5  rDev -9.1%

3.85/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.26/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

In the bottle. Check the best before if you're ever in a small town. It may have been from the original batch...

4.13/5  rDev +13.5%

3.49/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Yummy pilsner. Pours straw colored with chalk whit hid that's rings out fast. Some lacing with each sip. Smells of yeast, malt and grassy hops. Tastes nice an herbal, sweet, and a little heavy on the bitterness which I appreciate for a Czech. Light bodied, finishes crip and clean with nice aftertaste in the pallette.

4.13/5  rDev +13.5%

Nice dark gold with buttery nose.

4.63/5  rDev +27.2%

Well, what do you say about this one? It's the standard in Czech Pilsener (from Pilsen). The only large scale brew that I will consistently buy.

Much prefer this to Staropramen, Czechvar (the real Budweiser) etc. Though I do still need to give Golden Pheasant another chance. There may be microwbrews in Europe doing better, but have never come across it, being in Ontario.

I have become aware that Urquell does unfiltered casks/tastings at various bars in Europe, and that is on my to do before I die list. I did get to try the tank version in London, it was very similar to the export bottles/cans.

Whenever a local Ontario brewery tries this style, I bite but keep coming back to the original.

There is nothing better than pairing Urquell with a pork meal.

4.34/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Once opened the excitement of the beer comes to your pallet. Beer taste great and gets the blood pumping.

3.98/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

3.75/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.26/5  rDev -10.4%

4.21/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Benchmark for the Czech pils style. Pours a beautiful gold, white head retreats to a thin white layer of bubbles. Nose is pilsner malt and spicy saaz hops. Clean fermentation, no esters, no diacetyl, no dms. Slighty sweet pils malt balanced with hop bitterness, neither overwhelms, but both are present. Finish is spicy hops and slight mineral after taste. Reminds me of seltzer water in a way. This is one of my favorite pilsners, enjoyable after a shitty day of work or a great day of hiking.

3.68/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had several 12 ounce bottles from our family friend Dave H from Virginia Beach. Wow. I rarely drink Pilsners, but I couldn't get enough of these. I easily had 10+ of these during my stay at Dave's family house. One of the cleanest aftertaste I've ever had.

1.33/5  rDev -63.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Overall, I was extremely disappointed in the aroma and taste of the beer. The color was very gold and rich. The Aroma did not smell very well. The taste was extremely bitter, acidic and sour. The taste did have a hint of coffee. Pilsner had a very negative aftertaste of the beer. The beer was disappointing.

Pilsner Urquell from Plzeňský Prazdroj