Gambrinus | Plzeňský Prazdroj

prazdrojvisit.cz

Style: Czech Pilsener

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-07-2002

3.73/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Beautiful orange/golden color with foamy one finger head. Lively carbonation keeps the head intact.Sharp bite on first taste, but crisp and clean. Feels watery on the palate, but not in the flavor. Hops dominate here, but robust all the way around. A keeper...

3.71/5  rDev +9.8%

3.7/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I found this review in my pocket from my month long stay in Prague. I wanted to review it earlier but couldn't remember how to spell it.
Anyway, this is a typical Czech brew. It's light in color, with a nice head (i had it on tap as well). A bit darker than Budweiser and Urquell. Taste was a bit less sweeter than those other two. Had some crispness to it. This was one of the better beers I had over there, and since I'm not a pilsner kind of guy, I drank this one a lot.

3.68/5  rDev +8.9%

A- Darker yellow-gold, clear with visible carbonation and a small head of about one finger.

S- Hops, herbal, slightly medicinal and some sweet notes.

T- Grainy, yeasty and sweet finishes with slightly bitter hops.

M- A lot of carbonation light-medium light mouth-feel.

D- over all I like this beer and I feel that it is pretty drinkable, goes down nice and easy.

3.65/5  rDev +8%

You have to be 18 (US citizen: 21) to visit Gambrinus' website. Couldn't find anything harmful there, though. I have a soft spot for thirst quenching Czechs which probably makes me overrate this beer a little. It pours with a finger of foam and has a nice, golden color. There is a strong bread aroma (which I also like), some hops and a little sourness. The taste is dry, malty and bready with some saltiness. In my opinion it's better than average but not in the premier league.

3.63/5  rDev +7.4%

This beer poured and smelled great, even after making the trip back from Prague-where I bought the 500mL bottle for less than $1.
Not as full of flavor as some of the other Czech beers that I tasted when I was there-but this beer still tastes great, like I would expect of a typical Czech pilsner.
This beer goes down easy enough and full of taste for a long session.

3.62/5  rDev +7.1%

A: Sky clear yellow colour with massive head.

S: Pils smell, full of hops, small tones of malts. You might find some apple and citruses.

T: The way a good pils should taste. Hoppy with alcohol bitterness on the tongue.

M: Light body with no carbonation.

D: Good beer with lower reputation than it deserves in Czech Republic. Definitely one of my favourites pilsners. Good for hot summer time.

3.6/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.59/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours clear shiny golden, one finger white head that's full of bubbles, but doesn't just pop off quickly.
Not much in the smell, some malts (bit too sweet, bit grainy) and some traditional Czech hops, a bit spicy.
Sweet malts, but never too much, with a biscuity note, grains and a very low corn feel. Some cooked butter, faint caramel, a touch of golden fruit, and then the expected (bit spicy) hops follow till the mlidly bitter finish. Some sweetness keeps coating the mouth, but nicely balanced with the hops and grains.
Light bodied, a bit buttery, medium carbonation.
Doesn't impress in any way, but has a certain balance that makes you want more. A maltier option to Pilsner Urquell from the same brewery.

3.56/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.55/5  rDev +5%

I decided I would make this my first beer review, since it looks like there is a paucity of them, probably due to the fact that this one is unavailable here in the U.S.

I drank quite a few of these when I visited Prague several years back. It was during my macroswill days, and I'd have to say that this one played a definite part in leading me toward an appreciation of, and search for good beers.

Since it was so long ago it's tough to remember much detail about the taste etc., but I do remember enough to give it a high rating on the drinkability scale, and also to say with a fair level of confidence that it's a good pilsener (not excellent, but definitely good). As stated in one of the other reviews, this one is widely consumed in the Czech Republic (I'm judging based solely on what I saw in Prague - on tap a the vast majority of pubs & restaraunts that I went to, and also available in cans if I remember right). Not as good as Urquell or Budvar, but still a good beer.

I spent a good deal of time searching for this one when I came back to the states and was extremely disappointed to discover that I couldn't get it here. I'd love to drink another one of these, I'd even choose it over a better beer just to sample it again. Guess I'll have to go back to Prague.

3.55/5  rDev +5%

This is a nice pilsener that i frequently tasted on my trip to Prague.

Tipical Czech pilsener, with a dark gold color and fair head.

It is very refreshing with mild hops ad spices as you drink it, and if you are thirsty this beer will fill up your needs.

You can get it in 500 ml can, along with your hot dog for a happy meal.

3.5/5  rDev +3.6%

Appearance: Golden, honey-colored; medium head; fairly long lasting; good lacing

Aroma: Not a lot of aroma; slightly grassy, biscuity and light hops

Taste: Juicy malt on start; quickly turning to slight bitterness; slightly dry, slightly bitter finish; not bad at all; pretty well balanced; good for a Pils, which is not my favorite style

Remarks: Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; disregard those scores

3.5/5  rDev +3.6%

Clear dark golden colour with thick foamy white head. Malty nose. Aroma is sweet soft malts with fruits. Flavor is soft malt and hops. Dry long-lasting hoppy finish. Medium carbonation. A typical easy to drink Czech Pilsener and a very good one at that, but a few notches below Pilsner Urquell.

Gambrinus from Plzeňský Prazdroj