Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Style: Baltic Porter

Added by GONZALOYANNA on 04-09-2011

Reviews: 10 | Ratings: 25
3.84/5  rDev -4.7%

I'm about two weeks into a Eastern and Central European trip, and this has been the best beer I've tasted so far. While a bit watery, it's well-balanced in taste. My wife got the Master 13 which was a bit more sweet (put me in the mind set of malta). Definitely not Victory at Sea, but well worth a sip when in Prague.

4.36/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

You got to imagine: I took this out of Prague at Jun2010! Meaning I had this bottle 5 years in my cellar...
Beers at 18° Plato are suited for storing... this beers' style is between a Doppelbock and an Imperial Porter. OK, lets try: Pours very oily, tarry, dark colour. Nice smell of dark fruits and wood, plums. I can even smell a smoky Aroma, just like blood sausage.... damn. Good drinking, very smooth. Roasted Malts and blue fruits.
Nice one, I think this beer has gotten better and better over the years....like good wine.

3.32/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Served on-draught earlier tonight at a bar in Bratislava, Slovakia. Reviewed from notes. Served into .4L Master branded stemware. Cost was 1.60 euro. Expectations were average.

No bubble show forms as it's poured.

HEAD: Pours a 3 finger wide head pf pale khaki colour. Good creaminess and thickness. Has a smooth, even complexion. Nice consistency. Spotty inconsistent lacing. 4-5 minute retention.

BODY: Solid opaque black colour. No yeast particulate or sediment is visible.

Looks good for the style. I'm looking forward to trying it. It's not unique or special, but there are no obvious flaws here.

AROMA: Cream, dark malts, bready malts, hints of bready yeast, and I think a faint hint of vanilla.

No alcohol, off-notes, or overt hop character is detectable. Overall, it's a muted aroma of below average strength, and suggests a somewhat bland flavour profile.

TASTE: Dark malts, chocolate malts, cream, and some faint breadiness. Simple and balanced. A pretty plain dark beer. I do like it, but there's not much subtlety, intricacy, or nuance here. Average depth, duration, and intensity.

MOUTHFEEL: Smooth, wet, creamy and nicely, aptly soft. Well-carbonated. I would like a fuller body and more thickness, but overall this texture does suit the taste well, and it's well executed, with good presence on the palate. Not boozy, oily, harsh, astringent, gushed, or hot.

OVERALL: It's drinkable and enjoyable. I'm surprised how light on the palate it is for a dark beer. I'd probably get it again at this price point, and I'm glad I tried it, but I wouldn't recommend it to friends or trade partners in terms of quality alone. It's likable but unremarkable, and far from world class. Gets better as it warms.

Low B-

3.85/5  rDev -4.5%

Another beer I picked up in Prague, now enjoyed in Israel.

Pours a mocha colored fizzy almost 2 fingered head that fades at a med pace, nice lacing, dark mahogany molasses color with barely any light coming through.

NOse nice dark malts, a little cocoa chocolate like, hint of a roasty aroma, touches of fig and date like dark fruits, some caramel and hint molasses like dark sugars, touch of toffee.

Taste semi sweet, creamy darker malts, little cocoa and hint of roast, hint of creamy coffee too, light powdered cocoa, into an iced mocha like flavor. Bitterness is present, with a bit of earthy slight grassy hops. A hint of an estery booze comes through with warmth, covered slightly by the sweetness, which brings a bit of caramel and molasses, hint of toffee. Finish is still a bit sweet but attempts to dry, more bitterness ramping a bit with some spicy hops, booze kicks up a bit too as it slightly tingles, and more molasses toffee flavors lingering.

MOuth is med to a bit fuller bod, a bit creamy, nice fluffy carb.,

Overall not bad, nice porter flavors, a bit on the Belgian porter like style with the esters and dark fruits, nice malts, decent hop profile, booze comes off a bit too much though overall for only being 7%, but still a nice beer.

4.83/5  rDev +19.9%

I have no idea who brought this to me, but I do recognize the picture. I might as well crack it open and see what's what.

From the bottle (loosely translated): "The premium materials and a special furnace Experienced Sladku Pilsner Urquell Master VAM brings a unique taste experience."; "Special dark beer."; "Drinking and driving don't mix."; "Pilsner Urquell beer specialties."; "The delicate flavor."; "Dark [beer]".

Any Baltic Porter, in my eyes, is going to have to measure up to Baltika # 6. We'll see ... I got two dense fingers of deep-tan head with decent retention off of my pour. Color was a deep-brown with ruby/garnet highlights. Nose had a chocolaty aspect along with dark, dried fruits (raisin, prune). Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, not quite creamy, but approaching it and the taste was like a liquid Cadbury Fruit & Nut bar, sans the nut, although a student recently described me as "a nutty teacher". Man, I thought that nothing could ever match my beloved Baltika # 6, but this is really making me sit up and take notice! Heavy lacing began to appear as I worked my way through it. Finish was semi-dry, with an appearance of a smokiness to go along with the fruit and chocolate. I have been watching the commercials for Viking River Cruises recently and I would love to take a trip into the Baltic States and hit up the Czech Republic while in the area. Hell, I might even look for a bride while I'm at it! To my old drinking buddy and owner of the Bloomfield Bridge Tavern, Stosh, this one's for you.

3.78/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Beautiful creamy head and a near black soda body.
S: Toasted wheat crackers, perhaps also oat-y, but overall not a very strong smell
T: Kind of sweet. Hmm, I feel ambivalent about this one. It has a nice toasted and well rounded flavor, but I find it too sweet, like when you put too much sugar in coffee.
M: Smooth and implied creamy.
O: So many great qualities, but the fact that it's overly sweet really bring it down for me. Otherwise a very very good beer.

4.08/5  rDev +1.2%

.4 L on tap in tulip glass at Na Parkene Beer Pub; Plzen, Czech Republic

A - Deep brown with a thick tan head

S - Distinct roasted malt.

T - Caramelized malt with a hint of coffee and toasted nuts

M – creamy on the tongue, heavy body and light carbonation

D – Decent beer, but a little heavy at a sitting for more then one.

3.93/5  rDev -2.5%

This beer is very dark with a great tan head. There is lots of head and lots of sticky thick lace. It has a burnt coffee taste with some chocolate tones. It is a very bitter sweet flavored beer. There is a burnt sugar aroma. The body is medium and there is not much for carbonation.

3.88/5  rDev -3.7%

.4 L draft in snifter at brewery's restaurant in Pilsen

A - near black and opaque with reddish mahogany at edges/ Generous creamy tan head that leaves patchy lacing. Remnants of head lasted until the end during an entire meal!

Aroma - rather faint and not enticing aromas of medium and dark roasted malt.

T – markedly more flavorful than aroma suggests: a somewhat spicy rich malt flavor that leads to a fine and lasting finish featuring dark roasted malts. Excellent balance of sweet and bitter, perhaps leaning towards bitter.

M – Exceptionally creamy feel with perfect (med) carbonation

O – not great in every respect, but the wonderful mouthfeel alone makes this worth seeking out.
Paired OK with broccoli in cheese sauce; excellent with pork in gravy.

4.67/5  rDev +15.9%

Tasted on Dec 2010.Served in 33cl bottle. Pitch black in your Snifter. Thick & creamy crown. Small Bubbles & extended foam, beige in color. In nose toasted malty notes & a gentle hop aroma. Your mouth will receive a caramel & licorice flavor. Dry & smooth bitterness in your palate. Good carbonation. At the aftertaste will return caramel & tosted malts. Easy to drink, medium body, refreshing & kind flavor. You´d better remember it´s 7.0 ABV

Master Tmavý 18° from Plzeňský Prazdroj