Hockley Black & Tan | Hockley Valley Brewing Co.

Hockley Black & TanHockley Black & Tan

Hockley Valley Brewing Co.
Ontario, Canada

Style: Black & Tan

Added by cratez on 06-02-2010

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 30 | Ratings: 53
3.45/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a cola coloured brown with soft burnt red edges. One finger of light tan head tops this beer that doesn't stick around long. Thin, watery patches of lace are left behind.

I really pick up on the characteristics of an Irish Dry Stout in the nose; dry, nutty, burnt, with a bit of molasses as well as some dark fruits, most notably plums and figs and maybe even a touch of floral hops. It's not all that pronounced and it took me a bit to pick up on everything but overall, it's a decent smelling beer.

Nutty, dry, and rich in the front with touches of chocolate and caramel easing their way through. The back and finish lean more towards a lighter fruity side with a light and watery grassy hop kick. Still, the stout in it prevails, but a nice balance is struck between both sides.

Mouthfeel is light, watery, and crisp which in my opinion, takes away from the flavour of the beer. It could use a bit of bulking up but I guess there isn't much control over that when it's just a combination of two styles.

This marks my first Black and Tan and Hockley Valley provided me with a decent interpretation of the style. It's not all that exciting but I find the concept pretty interesting and I'm happy I could get my hands on a rare style. Like I said earlier, the stout in the beer is much more dominant then their golden ale, and I think overall this probably helped the beer. I'd be open to trying other interpretations of the style but probably won't be buying this one again.

3.38/5  rDev -4.2%

Pours a dark matt brown, almost to the point of being black, with plenty of tan head. Given that it is pre-mixed, it is obviously devoid of the layering effect.

I can barely pick up anything off the nose. Maybe some nuts?

Taste is not bad. Some nutty characteristics are indeed present, and in fact linger. A bit of chocolate like flavor in the background. It feels fairly thick and chewey. Dry finish. Fairly straightforward.

Nothing really remarkable here. Basically an irish stout that has been mellowed out a bit. Not quite my thing, but an interesting change of pace.

3.73/5  rDev +5.7%

I ask myself what's the point of a canned black & tan? Am I supposed to pour it over a spoon to split it into its constituent parts? Presumably this particular blend is the decent Hockley Stout, and the less than decent Hockley Gold. Let's see if the stout has the chutzpah to carry this one.

The pour appears to be a nondescript brown until you hold it up to the light, whihc reveals it to be of the deepest ruby wth gold at the edges. A light tand head dies to a patchy film and collar, but not before giving up a few spots of lace. Subdued describes the aroma well. What's there is certainly pleasant, but its far from prominent and fails to serve as a satisfying prologue to a sip. Caramel is the dominant tone, with nut and dry roasted malt behind it, which is more or less how I expected the style to smell.

For such a mediocre style, the Hockley Black & Tan really isn't too bad a beer at all. It clearly shows its Irish dry stout origins, with big dry roasted malts shining through, providing stale coffee and tobacco tones. This is countered by a fruity sweetness, a moderate dose of caramel and some toasty malt. What hops are present don't ptovide any more than a mild wave at the tongue before going to sleep. The palate is pleasing - medium-light with a pillowy carbonation and a lingering dryness.

This is certainly an interesting beer, and in my limited experience with the style, the best I've come across so far. For all the world it strikes me more as a decent English Brown Ale than anything, and a bit better for its subdued sweetness and enhanced dryness. It won't be a beer I'd buy again as it doesn't appeal to my palate, but I think its a great stab at a pointless style, and I can see why people would like it.

Nb. This is rated to style. All things being equal I'd have scored this a lot lower, but for a black & tan its surprisingly decent.

3.83/5  rDev +8.5%

Pours a dark clear brown with ruby highlights.

Nice puffy sand colored cap lasts and laces well.

Aromas are inhibited but pleasant : roasty nutty maltiness over some grassy hops..clean smelling.

Moderate body chewy mouth feel, roasty-toast-nutty character.

Front side is malt forward you get roast and toastiness some nut-like tones all well balanced with a sturdy pleasing hop bitterness...finish remains roasty-toast with good hop balance then a quick dry bitter end, Very pleasant, very rounded, balanced and finished. Like a porter with more pale malt instead of caramalt or crystal. Very drinkable...a dark sessioner.

3.65/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours a dark brown with thin tan head that dissipated quickly. Smell is very subtle, a bit of roasted malt. Some roasted chocolate taste, with mild bitterness. Nice carbonation level and I could drink several of these. Nothing really great here, but it still is pleasant enough.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Hockley Black & Tan from Hockley Valley Brewing Co.