Sara Buckwheat Ale | Brasserie De Silenrieux S.A. (Chez L'Père Sarrasin)

good
Sara Buckwheat AleSara Buckwheat Ale

Brasserie De Silenrieux S.A. (Chez L'Père Sarrasin)
belgacom.net

Style: Witbier

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-25-2002

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
3.35/5  rDev -4.8%

Pours a hazy light brown with a small lacy head. Smells yeasty and fruity with hints of apple.

Taste is quite unusual. It's grainy but not in texture, just tastes alot like raw grain. Sweet undertones, lightly fruity. Bitter finish. Unmistakeable flavor of buckwheat throughout. Once I got used to this new flavor it wasn't a bad brew. Doubt I would get this one much but it is certified organic. Would be an interesting beer for thanksgiving of a dinner with farm fresh foods.

1.76/5  rDev -50%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I originally sampled this beer on 13 November 2002. I am writing this review from my notes.
I really did Not enjoy this beer. It was overly carbonated. It had a no aroma. The flavor was bland. All in all, from my perspective, it was a loser. There are so many better belgians, this one should be avoided

3.95/5  rDev +12.2%

Brewery Visit - 24th April 2000.

Tried on draft in the Café, which is next to the Brewery, the Chez L’Père Sarrasin. Limited Notes.

Sara, 6% ABV.
Amber-Red, sweetish, wheat beer, this time made with buckwheat, quite unique and hard to describe except as very spicy and dry. More maintsream in tastes than the Jospeh and the preferred beer of our party of 31, from the 3 offerings from Silenrieux during our visit.

3.41/5  rDev -3.1%

I bought the bottle simply because I'd never had a buckwheat beer. The cork was hell to remove...ended up using a corkscrew.
The beer pours with a fizzy, soda-like head dissapears right away. The color is a dark, slightly transparent brown. The most apealing feature of the beer is the aroma. It smells something like a grist mill: a sweet, grainy, musty smell that is actually quite pleasant. Unfortunately, the beer is also one-dimentional. Flat, shallow, not at all complex. It's a little sweet and malty, and the aroma carachter sticks with the beer through the aftertaste. It's worth a try, but it's not outstanding.

3.01/5  rDev -14.5%

I've been making beer with buckwheat as an ingredient for my wife, who can't have barley. When she brought this home, we were both excited to try it. Unfortunately, it didn't didn't meet our expectations. It has an earthy smell and taste that is not altogether unpleasant. However, it lacks subtlety and complexity. Beers I have brewed including corn, sorghum, and/or quinoa along with the buckwheat have produced a better result. On the positive side, it does have a nice gold color and a long-lasting head. I'm sure my wife will go back for more when we're out of gluten-free homebrew. I, on the other hand, will be sticking with the good old barley-based brews.

3.42/5  rDev -2.8%

Sarasin is French for buckwheat - hence the name Sara. I'm guessing this is a wheat style ale, its the only beer I have heard made with buckwheat. High carbonation, long lasting head, cloudy, apple (yeast) overtones, very drinkable. Organic, $8.99 for 750ml, U.S. importer is WIT - IT - TOO Inc.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Sara Buckwheat Ale from Brasserie De Silenrieux S.A. (Chez L'Père Sarrasin)