Left Coast Hop Juice | Left Coast Brewing Company

Left Coast Hop JuiceLeft Coast Hop Juice

Left Coast Brewing Company
leftcoastbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

At Left Coast Brewing Co. we pride ourselves on being one of the pioneers of Double IPA style craft beer. This hop monster uses Premium American 2– Row and a touch of light crystal malt to create a solid malt foundation. Five different Hop Varieties are used in the Hop Juice. It spends two weeks dry hopping in fermenter contributing to its great hop aroma. Starts out sweet and finishes with the crisp bitterness of a Double IPA. This drinkable blend will have you HOPPING till nights end.

Added by tonistruth on 09-05-2007

1.25/5  rDev -65.2%

1.35/5  rDev -62.4%

Appearance is hazy, dark strawberry blonde with an off-white head with long last, leaving nice lace. Nice color.

Smell is citrus hops and then very dirty, cheap vodka like alcohol.

Taste is similar - very sweet, dry, fusally hoppy beer - like an IPA fortified with cheap vodka. So bad, it's a bit nauseating, which is very disappointing with a tempting name like hop juice from a cali brewery, that I now realize why I've never heard of...

Mouthfeel is dry and slick.

Drinkability is terrible. A very poorly executed beer, in spite of the tempting name and story about being one of the original DIPAs. If this is what it tasted like then, they've really failed to evolve. Total drain pour, I had maybe 3 oz. of this bomber. Probably my lowest rated beer every (I think a Left Hand RIS was similarly plagued by dirty booze).

1.42/5  rDev -60.4%

Looks good in the glass. Plenty of foamy/ rocky head. No hops in the nose. None. Zero. Smell of dirty feet instead. Took a sip and I can't taste any hops either. Maybe it's an old bottle but I don't think so. It's super hot/ boozy. I can hardly get this one down. What a huge disappointment.

Drain Pour

1.68/5  rDev -53.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I'll be straight forward. The taste is all that matters to me. So keep that in mind when reading my reviews. I simply did not care for the particulate floating around. And much like a kiddo drinking OJ with pulp, my hate for the floating bits did not subside. Rather, my dislike for a beer that not only had nasty bits to the point of almost chewing, it also did not have a flavor which sparked with my Porter loving palate. Maybe I can enjoy IPAs but perhaps double IPAs are too much for me.

1.75/5  rDev -51.3%

1.98/5  rDev -44.8%

Slightly tarnished yelow gold body. Some haziness. Level two fingers of white tight foam.

Pleasant grapefruit backed by pine aroma. Lacks the fierce assertiveness I was expecting.

Malt doesn't establish a foothole as much as collapses after the first step. The juicy citrus hops immediately take over and have a big bite at the swallow. In the aftertaste though the citrus recedes and the pine goes from pleasant to industrial cleanser.

Decent mouthfeel. Finish absolutely destroys drinkability.

The brief middle isn't worth the start and finish of this beer. This is one DIPA you can pass on.

2.01/5  rDev -44%

Maybe I don't have an experienced enough palate, but this beer just seems unnecessarily over-hopped. No balance here, just tons of bitterness.

Interestingly, I see several reviews mentioning that the hops are not present enough?

Well, I guess taste is very subjective and relative to a baseline... some see a glass half full and some see...

I won't be buying it again.

2.06/5  rDev -42.6%

ABV 9.7%

Poured into a claret.

Appearance-Burnt orange, lots of haze. One finger soapy off white head with very nice lacing. Lots of bubbles still clinging to the perimeter of the glass.

Smell-Fresh bottle as far as I know, and getting alot of caramel and chocolate malts, not so much hops. I get some grapefruit, lemon and pine in the backround. I thought this beer was dry hopped?

Taste-Damn. Huge unpleasant bitterness. This is just bitter as fuck, no balanced at all. Completely slapped in the face with hops and back of the throat is just burning. So dry, carbonation can't even help this. I guess I'm getting some light grapefruit but something is wrong with this beer.

...Even as this beer warms it gets worse...

Mouthfeel-Prickly, numbing and horrible. Not sure If I can drink much more of this.

Overall-Hands Down the worst IIPA I have EVER had. No balance, just slapped with bitterness, no malt, no fruit little sweetness. I'm going to try and finish the half of bomber that I poured, and will most likely drain pour the rest. The fact that you can get a Hop Stoopid for 4 bucks there is no reason for this beer to ever be purchased. EVER.

2.08/5  rDev -42.1%

Horrible. At Least for an attempt at an IPA and a double IPA at that. Huge caramel malt at the front of the tongue and you just don't recover from it. Horrible.

2.15/5  rDev -40.1%

Bottle

Liquor Stop
San Marcos, CA

A clear amber body with a touch of haze throughout the beer. A half inch high head that sticks around, eventually leaving sticky webs of lacing down the glass. Very pretty beer.

Although that's where the fun stops...

This beer has some pleasant floral notes and I also smell some banana peel. The hot alcohol is present in the nose and only becomes more pronounced as the beer warms. Whatever is here that is pleasant is overshadowed and dominated by the strong smell of hot alcohol.

This beer is a bitter, bitter beast. While I do love a bitter monster, (Port Hop 15 comes to mind) this one is decidedly unpleasant. Starts highly bitter, and then the beer moves into a very unpleasant place dominated by alcohol harshness and high astringency.

Relatively thick mouthfeel.

I did not enjoy this beer. It's a bitter beast, but tastes and smells of burning alcohol. Unpleasant.

I drank this beer a few years ago and drain-poured it with many similar complaints. I wanted to revisit it again to give it another chance, but the beer has not improved, and after enjoying so many DIPAs since, this one actually seems even worse now than it did then. It's not for me.

2.19/5  rDev -39%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

Pours deep amber. OK clarity. Ok head retention.

Smells like hop candy. Sweetness looms behind herbal hops. Boozy alcohol on the nose. Citrusy and piney hops.

Whoa, caramel comes out to play! Prickly alcohol and bitterness, with a long bittersweet finish. Slight metallic finish.

Thick full body. Chewy for sure. Low carbonation.

No date on this bottle so I can't be sure how old it is, but this is tough to drink. Even as an American Barleywine this would be hard to give a good score, but it's closer to that style than anything.

2.25/5  rDev -37.3%

This beer poured a hazy golden copper with a 1 finger high off-white head. The head dissipated quickly and minimal lacing was observed. The initial smell of the beer was apple juice and hints of alcohol. I know that the hops were the cause for this bizarre smell and the malts were barely detectable. The initial taste of the beer was a burnt caramel with slight malts, additionally it tasted boozy. This brew had a medium to full body and was dry.

This is the worst DIPA that I have ever tried, not sure if anyone read the bottle, but they claim to have invented the first DIPA. Being that the case, you'd think that they could get the style right. I would not recommend anyone to try this beer.

2.32/5  rDev -35.4%

This beer was way too malty. There wasn't enough hop to cut through it. I didn't like this one.

2.32/5  rDev -35.4%

the appearannce of this one is a little disappointing. it pours a light golden color with a soft white head that dissipates quickly. some amber touches to the edges, but overall resembles a pilsner.

there is a faint hop aroma emanating from the glass. its barely perceptible, however, and is accompanied by small doses of citrus fruitiness and a maltiness that promises to "balance" the beer, though this isn't really desirable.

Wow. not impressed at all. waaay to hot for a DIPA. 9.4% here rivals the alcohol burn of BCS and 120 minute. the alcohol asserts itself as the dominate force over the other flavors, that, though hidden, can be identified as oranges, pineapple, and a bitter hoppiness in the finish that serves as a reminder that you're drinking a beer and not a fruity cocktail made with a double shot. none of the flavors blend and the beer seems to fall apart on the palate. this is a wreck.

as previously stated, the beer is much to hot, and, further, is undercarbonated. drinkability is enough to get me through this bottle, but only because its buzzing me nicely and i want to keep it going. put this on the "do not purchase again" list.

edit: ended up being a drain pour. i've lowered the score accordingly.

2.33/5  rDev -35.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a slightly cloudy copper body with a thich, sudsy looking white head.

Citurs and pine sap on the nose. For a DIPA that is supposed to be severely dry hopped, I was hoping for more. I've had Pale Ales with a larger hop scent.

If the aroma was a mild letdown, the flavor is a tragedy. Alcohol is pervasive. There is an astringent character that goes far beyond simple bitterness. Sweet malt is reminiscent of American Barleyine. Hops come and go in flashes, but never land a solid blow. The finish is like cheap whiskey, boozy, but not in that good warming sort of way.

If you have to slam it like you're shooting McCormick Vodka at a frat party to get through a bottle, its not a good beer. I won't be finishing my glass, let alone the bottle.

I don't know what they did wrong with this beer, but it seems like they keep doing it. After reading other reviews, it doesn't sound like my experience was an isolated incident or the result of a bad batch. While plenty of BAs seem to think its decent, it sounds like the shock I currently feel is a rather common reaction to this product.

I hate to be mean. I know someone worked long, hard hours to make this beer and I respect anyone willing to dedicate their life to commercial brewing. It is not any easy thing to do. But this is bad.

Avoid this beer. I won't be carrying it at my store and as it is currently constituted, I would recommend others take a pass as well. You may be able to pass this off on someone with little experience with IPAs and they mat not notice its flaws and simply drink it as a source of alcohol, but I think most experienced beer drinkers will notice right away, there is something wrong with Hop Juice.

Left Coast Hop Juice from Left Coast Brewing Company