Left Coast Hop Juice | Left Coast Brewing Company

Left Coast Hop JuiceLeft Coast Hop Juice

Left Coast Brewing Company
California, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

At Left Coast Brewing Co. we pride ourselves on being one of the pioneers of Double IPA style craft beer. This hop monster uses Premium American 2– Row and a touch of light crystal malt to create a solid malt foundation. Five different Hop Varieties are used in the Hop Juice. It spends two weeks dry hopping in fermenter contributing to its great hop aroma. Starts out sweet and finishes with the crisp bitterness of a Double IPA. This drinkable blend will have you HOPPING till nights end.

Added by tonistruth on 09-05-2007

firstprev| 226-250 | 251-275 | 276-300  | next → last
Reviews: 287 | Ratings: 928

Gah, what a disappointment.

Poured from a bomber into my Corsendonk tulip...

It sure looks pretty. rich golden orange with a couple fingers of head that sticks around to the finish with great lacing... and from here on out, it gets a lil complicated. Let me just say that this reminds me greatly of Hop Stoopid, and I disliked that beer for much the same reasons. So that said, if you dug Hop Stoopid, I can't imagine you not liking this beer. Also, beer is 9.4%ABV (still incorrectly listed as of 1/29/08).

Aroma is initially quite pineapple-y, and tangerine, and citrus fruit. The taste is much the same, particularly the pineapple. Malty base is there, with slightly strong sweetness, bitterness is no more than an afterthought, with an excellent, full, smooth body, a little oily. Rich. Delicious.

But as it warms (from fridge this had sat out roughly 20, 25 minutes before it was served), a funky, rotten fruit smell and flavor starts to rear its ugly head. Kind of musty. Unpleasant. Worse as it gets to cellar temperature. Reminds me of what I've previously found only in fresh hop beers that made me question whether they waited too long before using the fresh hops. Although it definitely has some of the onion-y flavor of the Summit hop. But more... musty.

The malt sweetness, balancing bitterness, and mouthfeel are all great, and the initial aroma was excellent, otherwise I'd further dock the aroma score, and probably the flavor.

What starts off a pleasing experience turns into a remarkably unpleasant one. Caveat emptor.

3.32/5  rDev -6.7%

With a name like that, I expected a bit more. Pours a dark hazy yellow, smells of citrus. Taste is a bit off from a first-rate west coast IIPA--not a real sharp flavor, mostly orange and grapefruit, but not much bitterness. There is an odd flavor in there somewhere, or maybe lack of balance; it's hard to put my finger on it. Fairly easy to drink, nothing majorly wrong with it, just not a big IIPA like one would hope. If you like this style, I'd say give it a try. You might like it, but it's a little off target for me.

4.39/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a bomber at AJ's in late August for $4.59. ABV is 9.4%.

Beer poured an orange color with a small sticky head. Nose is quite nice, very pungent of citrusy hops and malts. Taste is very nicely balanced. There is a very strong malt backbone that glides nicely into the blast of citrus hop heaven. I am surprised there is not a residual hop oil on the palate. Mouthfeel is quite chewy and fairly smooth. Overall drinkability is very good as the abv is well masked but beware as it is sneaking up on me quite fast. This is a very nice representation of the style and for the price it is a bargain!

3.37/5  rDev -5.3%

22oz Bomber

9.4%abv

Recieved this bottle for Christmas from my Secret Santa, thanks Taynor, another "wants" casualty. Left Coast's Hop Juice pours a rather dirty copper with a slight haze. Not a lot of carbonation rising to the surface but what was there was tiny. After a particularly hard pour I coaxed up a half finger soapy white head that quickly fell to a swirling. Did leave some decent lace on its way down the glass.

Aroma sports a unique hoppiness and a spicy alcohol that compliments the hops. There is a solid husky graininess but the hop profile takes precedence but unfortunately I cann't put my finger on it. The booziness really seems to open up my sense of smell but I'm getting some crazy fruits in there strawberry, apricot, some citrus and some pine. I really can't put my finger directly on anything.

This is one of those beers where the flavor is completely different from the aroma. I'm on the fence here. Do I enjoy it or is it too different for my liking? Let me see what we have.

Husky graininess gives way to a sharp biting buzzsaw of earthy hops and booze mid-palate. While this beer is somewhat offensive mid-palate it relaxes and becomes more enjoyable on the finish. Leaving a touch of the fruitiness that was in the aroma but also some dirty hoppiness. It turns out I'm on the wrong side of the fence for this one.

The mouthfeel is one of the better aspects of this brew. Silky smooth with just the right amount of carbonation to keep things moving at just the right pace.

Although this beer looks decent, smells and feels good the harsh hoppiness and boozyness is a turn off in the flavor department. I'm going to finish this bomber but that will be all I could or would want to drink in a sitting.

I really though this beer was going to be better than it was. I don't know why I thought that but I did. Unfortunatly it was a let down. Way too boozy and the hop profile is way off.

2.61/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

22 ounce bomber, $4.25 at Plaza Liquors, Tucson, AZ. Bottle states 9.4% ABV, no date indicated.

Appearance: deep copper to medium orange, limited light beige head.

Aroma: As soon as I started to pop the cap, I smelled fairly intense hops, like opening a bag of fresh C-hops from the homebrew store. Some grain and malt sweetness in the glass, and a sweet, sharp tangy note.

Taste: Wow -- grain, grain, grain. An overpowering grain taste blocks out almost everything else. Something like shredded wheat, or some other deeply grainy cereal grain. Did I mention grain? Also a little sweet maltiness, and a earthy hop note that is muted relative to the maltiness. The grain is like spent grain after brewing, but really not very pleasant. Think the spent grain after it has sat for a day or so, when you're too lazy to clean out your mash tun.

Mouth: Slick and fairly full, little alcohol warmth noted, especially given the high ABV.

Overall: Interesting, but terribly imbalanced, and not something I'd buy again. It's hard to see the difficult taste as spoiled, and it doesn't taste lightstruck, but it's also difficult to imagine that this intensely, harsh, almost nasty grainy taste is what the brewer wanted me to taste.

4.05/5  rDev +13.8%

Light mahogany color with ample head and lace.

Smells big and malty, this bottle does say 9.4% alcohol. Very butterscotch and toffee smelling with some alcohol apparent.

Sweet caramel maltiness tastes almost of buttermilk, makes me think of cheesecake and creme brule. Nice hop balance.

Soft and substantial mouthfeel. This is a very balanced IPA without being overly barleywinish.

4.03/5  rDev +13.2%

Pours a clear burned orange/apricot with minimal soapy off white head. Smells of piney hops, bready and a sweet malt. Tastes of bittering hops with a sweet balancing malt profile then a bready/tea like bitter lingering finish. Medium and refreshing in the mouth with good carbonation. Big beer but very drinkable. A west coast DIPA for sure.

4.3/5  rDev +20.8%

The bottle I had listed the ABV as ~9.3 so this beer entry needs an update. The beer itself was classic DIPA material. Golden orange color, great head, and a nice piney citrus aroma. The taste was chewy, resinous, and had great citrus-orange flavors. This was probably the best DIPA I brought back from San Diego and it completely surprised me. If you see this awesome beer, buy it!

Photo of
3.59/5  rDev +0.8%

22oz. bomber. The bottle I tried listed the ABV as 9.4%, and it certainly tasted closer to that than 7.6%.

Poured a hazy, dirty brown/orange color. It was topped by a small, off-white head. Not the prettiest beer I've ever seen.

Smell was a big improvement, very sweet and fruity. Citrus and grass. Caramel and peaches.

Taste brought me a sweeter/fruitier DIPA, a bit too much so for my preference. Pine was present in a big way, and was backed up by a strong malt backbone. Both of these were needed to carry the noticeable alcohol. Grass was the finishing note, with a bitterness that lingered on and on and on. Almost enough to balance the up-front sweetness.

Mouthfeel was full and resiny. Carbonation struck me as fairly low, and it could have been a bit higher without hurting this one. Quite drying, and alcohol warming was present very early on.

Overall, a bit too sweet and hot for me. Kinda like a young DFH120, with quite a bit less kick, but still plenty for the money.

4.42/5  rDev +24.2%

Nice, fresh bottle from South Bay. Pours a clear slightly peachy amber color with a nice 1 finger white head that settles to some decent lacing. Smell is of pure grapefruit. Nice. Loving the hops already.

Taste is also nicely hoppy - very citrusy, especially leaning toward the grapefruit. Just enough caramel malt back there to support it, but this one's about the hops. Finishes with a wonderful biting bitterness. Excellent hoppy beer. With that said, don't expect this to out-hop the Maharaja or Hopsickle - but it is a good, solid, hoppy DIPA.

Mouthfeel is refreshing with a moderate level of carbonation. Drinkability is quite good on this one.

Recommended. Am excellent San Diego Pale Ale.

3.97/5  rDev +11.5%

You know the dark part of peach skins? The amber-brown-gold color is a ringer for this beer. Slight chill haze underneath a nice thick head of white bubbles, with outstanding retention, but surprising little lacing. Maybe I drank it too fast..

Fresh citric hop oils, correct that, just a lot of fruitiness. Both sweet and acidic fruits come to mind, as well as pine. Large aroma can be detected from a few feet away.

Very bitter flavor, with plenty of juicy fruits to keep it interesting. There's enough sweet malt to stay balanced, but serious focus is on the hopping. Towards the end, I get some peppermint type flavor, which is interesting enough to be enjoyable.

Solid mouthfeel, a little thin given the amount of hopping this water went through. Perhaps just a little more malt would help buttress the whole thing, but I found it quite delicious.

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

on tap @ Pizza Port Carlsbad

A- golden straw with an orange tint, 1 finger frothy white head, good retent, nice clingy white lace

S- citrus, floral, hop oils

T- citrus, grassy, bready, toasted malts, spicy hop and some alcoholic heat at finish, heat through after, plenty of hop oils swimming around

M- starts smooth then the hops kick in and beat your tongue up, also heat from the alcohol does its thing through the finish

D- another west coast 2IPA, nothing special but still tasty, nice after taste