Asylum

Rotating
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
AsylumAsylum
Notes:
Reviews: 89 | Ratings: 343 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
3.47/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours hay colored, bit mirky. very little head
nose is sweet, elderflower, grass, some slight spices. a bit generic in the style perhaps.
Mouth is pretty mellow and not as intense or fullbodied as most belgium trippels. IBU at 27, does not taste bitter at all
Finish is clean, sweet and floral and with a faint touch of heat from the alcohol clocking in at 11.5

Enjoyable and tasty, but agree with those who thinks it is not really a true representative of a Belgian trippel.

4.79/5  rDev +35.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

L - pours a beautiful sunset orange. Murky with a little sediment floaters. Only draw back is nearly complete lack of head.

S - very bright and floral

T - super herbal with hints of honey and spice. Would make for an excellent winter night beer by the fire. Alcohol not readily apparent for nearly 12%

F - coats the mouth, in a good way. Definitely feels crisp and bright on the tongue.

Overall - I’m very pleased with this beer and will look for it again.

1.91/5  rDev -46%

First review on Beer Advocate.

Looking for a Belgian anything for a guest this evening. My go-to was Omegang and for some reason, the one I wanted was not available at the local brew store.

In any event, Asylum from Left Coast was selected on a whim. I create this account for my first review.

FIrst thing noticed - no head. How do you have a Belgian-style beer with zero head. Aroma was, well, off. I could pick out Belgian elements, but that was about it.

The flavor consisted of the pieces of the puzzle that make up a Belgian - but no one put them together. Additionally, it was cloying and wattery. How that was managed at 11.8% is beyond me.

I will not go any further, because it gets worse.

Not worth the effort ot provide thorough sensory analysis, I feel I have provided enough.

3.86/5  rDev +9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

The look of this is a dark caramel color. Not much head and very nice looking.
S: smells sweet with a caramel vanilla and alcohol, smell with a bit of malt. Not my typical style of beer as I am more into IPA but I thought I give this Belgian triple a try.

T: the taste is a bit perfume with a very malty caramel and some floral off notes. Can definetelyvtaste the alcohol as the beer warms.

Feel; the feelpretty carbonated with nice mouthfeel, pretty drinkable at 11.8% ABV.

Overall: I would drink this again although be careful as this one will smack you in the FACE after three beers or so. Not bad for a Triple Belgian. Overall a descent beer.

3.59/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This one is a hard one for me to rate since I'm not a big fan of belgian style ales but on sale at my local Grocery Outlet and in the cold box I thought I'd give it a try. To start with I saw it was11abv so for the price ($4.99) why not. Pours dark amber with very little head and lacing. Smells very much floral with caramel. Tastes much the same, not much aftertaste and ok mouthfeel. Not bad. But doesn't taste of 11abv so beware. Prost!

3.77/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

11.8% ABV | 27 IUB

The appearance reminded me of a nice, dark golden brown you would love to see on a perfectly roasted marshmallow. The head almost vanished instantly and my beer had no lacing.

The smell took some time for me to lock this one down. It almost gave off no smell but what I came away with was a sweet smell that almost reminded me of caramel or a creamsicle.

The taste was a little underwhelming for a Tripel. The beer was unbelievably smooth for an 11.8% alcohol content and I was left with a sweet take away. This confirmed my caramel scent that I took but it didn't taste anything like a creamsicle and truly lacked what you would look for in any Triple.

The feel was very smooth and almost creamy initially. However, after a few sips it was clear that this beer reminded me of a flat soda. This beer lacks carbonation and any hop taste.

Overall this isn't a terrible beer. The Tripel Belgain packs plenty of punch on the content side and will absolutely help you loosen up after a long day with a smooth finish. I wouldn't turn away a cold pint if you put it in front of me, however, I was expecting more from this one.

2.49/5  rDev -29.7%

Look - beer is a hazy dark golden/copper color and has practically zero head when poured into a glass. You'll see no lacing with these beer either

Smell - Smells of bread, caramel and honey. If I had to choose one word to describe it I would say it smells "funky"

Taste - follows the taste, VERY sweet, and definitely too sweet even for a tripel. Also has a bit of a funky taste.

Feel - you can definitely feel the alcohol, although the beer itself feels pretty smooth. Very flat with almost no carbonation and the feel is honestly like a light cough syrup

Overall - Definitely not my favorite beer...especially for a tripel which is one of my favorite types. I'd go as far as saying that this is an abomination for a tripel. Has a weird funky taste, VERY flat, too sweet and can hardly taste any spices. I would definitely not buy this beer again and I honestly don't feel like finishing the glass as I'm sipping it right now. I can't believe they would call this a tripel and I almost feel cheated for it being labeled as one.

3.18/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a bomber into a chalice-style glass. Slightly murky reddish-gold with a thin head that dissapeared quickly, some lacing. No obvious best buy date. Printed label on bottle stated an ABV of 11.8%. One sip confirmed that.

Not at all true to style - excessive alcohol, no spice. It didn't taste bad, but it didn't remind me of any tripel or quad I ever had. I'm not familiar with this brewery - perhaps they used their signature yeast to make something it's not suited for.

If I had brewed this at home I'd be pleased with the result. As a commercial product it misses the mark. I would not buy this again given any more qualified choice. I would not hesitate to try other Left Coast brews, however.

3.9/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Hazy dark gold with a thick slightly off-white head that dissipated quickly, leaving a curtain of lacing.
Mucho caramel fruit on the nose and palate. Some bread. Some spice.
Lower carbonation and mouthfeel. The 11% ABV comes through pretty well.
Not exactly true to style, apparently. Tasty nonetheless.

3.66/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

poured into a chalice from a 12 oz bottle. found the color to be dark golden with a slight head, no lacing. The nose was very sweet and boozy. The feel was a bit thin and to no surprise a boozy beer. I enjoyed this beer but, I think it was aiming for a high alcohol content which I personally gravitate to. This beer is better to pair with a meal. a very descent beer.

2.05/5  rDev -42.1%

So I gave this a pretty bad score so I figured I should include a review. It's pretty simple, I do not know how you can call this a triple but that alone doesn't garner a 2.05 rating. Plain and simple this beer was tough to swallow, horrible mouthfeel that coated your mouth and left a unpleasant motor oil like film on your teeth and mouth. Maybe I'm being harsh but it was very unpleasant and I like triples so I was extra disappointed. I also drank and reviewed their Voo Doo stout at the same sitting and it was a fair and good rating so it's nothing against Left Coast just this awful beer. Cheers

2.88/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Quite a stretch at calling this a tripel. Karmeliet will always be the benchmark. Lots of candy, caramel sweetness, darkish amber, minimal head. Aroma is also sugary sweet, tending towards Southern Comfort. Lots left lacking here....

3.03/5  rDev -14.4%

Poured a cloudy orange body, but lacks the thick, fluffy head of the style. Overall impression of appearance is of a decent, but botched tripel. Scents of caramel upfront and lesser malt aromas that are nutty and lightly bread-like, with esters giving aromas of apricot, pineapple and banana with light citrus in the background, orange-like in character, very light perfume-like alcohol in the background, contrary to stated style, phenols are very light and almost non-existent, though what is detectable is peppery. Overall this is a good aroma, but not at all a tripel. The esters on display are wrong for the style and the lack of phenols in any real capacity is certainly not on point for the style. The malt forward aroma is more in line with a Belgian Pale Ale, though the caramel is a bit too high for that style. Flavor begins richly malty with notes of caramel and restrained esters giving a candied orange flavor and light honey. This continues into a middle that continues sweet with notes of caramel and preserved orange meeting an addition of light toasted malt. Finish is medium-sweet with notes of caramel mingling with moderate notes of toasted malt and light alcohol and faint esters of orange and banana. Aftertaste begins sweet but gives way to notes of toasted malt and light peppery bitterness. Overall impression of flavor is of a very malt forward beer. It is not a tripel at all, lacking the full spiciness, fruitiness and complexity of that style and showcasing far too much malt. It is most like a Belgian Pale Ale, though with a doubled ABV from that style. Not bad, but not at all the flavor profile of the stated style. Mouthfeel is full bodied with moderate carbonation and a sticky feel. No alcohol warmth despite the almost 12% ABV. Overall impression of mouthfeel is of a strong British ale, not a tripel, a quad or any Belgian style with which I am familiar. Overall this is a beer with which I am quite conflicted. While it is not bad by any stretch, it does not fit the style of tripel, nor indeed any style with which I am familiar. It has aspects of Belgian Pale ales, yet has far too high an ABV and far too low a phenolic presence for that style, and it also has aspects of strong British ales, but lacks the full complement of flavors and aromas that define those style. It is certainly not a tripel as stated, or any of the other Abbey ales. What it seems to be is a Belgian yeast containing, high ABV, high gravity ale they defies classification to style. It is quite pleasant, but a tripel it is not.

4.49/5  rDev +26.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

You cannot go wrong with this Tripel! Very pleasing on the palate. And with its ABV, you can't complain! This would pair well with fruit and chocolate, especially around the holidays.

3.33/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A-dark orange with a thin white layer of head

S-bready malt, caramel, light summer fruits

T-similar to the smell with large amounts of alcohol present

M-medium body, light to moderate carbonation

Overall not what I would describe as a Tripel at all

4.29/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

22 oz brown bottle

Left Coast Brewing Asylum Tripel body is a little cloudy/hazy golden hue and atop sat just short of a 1-finger off-white head. The head reduced to a foamy collar in my tulip glass. The nose was sweet, spicy and a complex yeasty fruit aroma was also present. The flavor is similar to the nose, being sweet from the candy sugar, light fruit and spicy clove was noted. Mouth feel is high-medium with a good amount of fine carbonation. Somewhat slick and chewy with a alcohol warming character at the finish.

Asylum is my first brew from Left Coast and I am impressed. This is a good take on the Tripel style. Asylum is to the sweeter side of the Tripel style and I like that! The drinkability is only limited by its 11.8 abv.

3.43/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear, copper color. 1/5 inch head of an off-white color. Slight retention and poor lacing. Smells of sweet malt, pale malt, caramel malt, alcohol, slight chocolate, hint of hop, hint of spice, and a slight grass. Mouth feel is smooth and clean, with a low carbonation level. Fits the style of Tripel. Tastes of sweet malt, caramel malt, alcohol, slight yeast, hint of hop, hint of spice, and earthy malt. Overall, too malty, mostly alcohol besides the malt, not a well blended or complex example of a Tripel.

4.13/5  rDev +16.7%

L: A 22 oz. bottle fills a tulip glass with a brilliant golden amber liquid that produces a cream colored 2” persistent foam cap that slowly recedes to a thin film.
S: Has a spicy nose with traces of malt and Belgian yeast.
T: The palate starts with rich moderately sweet malt with hints of cardamom. Belgian yeast flavors of orange and peach emerge mid palate quickly followed with a moderate hop accent.
F: Very creamy with soft carbonation and a medium to medium full body.
O: The alcohol is big but the malt and Belgian yeasts hide enough of it to make this a very easy beer to drink. I have a wedge of Piave de Jardin to finish so this should be a very nice evening.

3.31/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Sister bought this one for me when she was in San Diego.

A - pale orange, slight haze, but low on carbonation with a minimal white head - 3.5

S - Low spice with orange and peach. - 3.75

T - The sweet ripeness with some orange, low spiciness, but with the crankiness of a saison. - 3

MF - Medium light body, semi-dry, with low carbonation. - 3.5

3.33/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Not a bad slow sipper, but if you are looking for a Tripel, this ain't it!!!! Pours a metallic orange color with good carbonation. Head retention is average and there is minimal lacing on the Chimay goblet. Aroma is strong but not that Tripel like. The predominant aroma is sweet white grapes, kind of cheap wine style. there is also some Belgian yeast and a heavy dose of alcohol. Taste is more of the same. Cheap white wine grapes, some nice Belgian yeast and some very un-hidden alcohol. Mouthfeel is rich with the yeast and sweetness, but there is some alcohol burn and a lack of the peppery spicing found in good Tripels. Not a bad warmer, but this is not even a middle of the road Tripel.

2.75/5  rDev -22.3%

Very sweet, moderate carbonation. I simply couldn't get past the overwhelming alcoholic taste. Thank god it is an 11.0% or else I don't know if I would have gotten through the entire bottle, luckily its high alcohol content aids its drinkability as you put it away.

2.76/5  rDev -22%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

From a 12 oz bottle into a Belgian snifter.

Cloudy amber color like an unfiltered apple cider. Topped with a small white head that quickly recedes to a thin ring.

Oddly, the sweet aroma has a clear suggestion of apples, and is markedly fruity.

The flavor is way too sweet, with brown sugar, alcohol, caramel malts and spices. Off style and not appealing.

O: Drinkable but not very good, and an insult to Belgian brewers to include "Belgian-style" on the label. I'll now be inclined to avoid this brewery which may be pinning it's fortunes on the resemblance of "Left Coast" to the far superior brewers, Lost Coast and Left Hand.

The best beers are Belgian, even when they're not. One of the best porters I've had in an ale bottle in ages.

No, seriously. At first sip, I though it had gone bad. I pulled back, read the label to be sure I'd picked up the right bottle, then tried again. About halfway through the bottle, I overcame the cognitive dissonance and started to enjoy the drink, mislabeled as is were.

Yeah, the inmates are running the asylum. Who knows what you'll get...

3.21/5  rDev -9.3%

First review as I am a newbie. Grabbed this not knowing it was a Tripel, being objective, not reading past the brewery and name. Expected strong and bitter and upon opening, got a whiff of fruit and I think, oats.

Pleasant to smell, but so far off from the only other Tripel I have tried, I felt it wasn't an honest attempt at the style.

First fruity-grainy sip almost consistent with melted butter, then a wave of alcohol. Potent, but uninteresting for a craft beer.

3.21/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

22oz Bottle with my FW Snifter glass
Noted on 06/19/2014

A: Dark caramel body with an orangey glow and some decent clarity. Thin layer of wispy paper white froth washes out to a ring hugging the glass wall. Little to no stick only some leggy runners really.

S: Smells of sweet golden malts that give off a husky graininess. I get some ripe yellow pear and apple fruit like esters along with a light dusting of Belgian yeast spices of coriander, clove, and dried banana peel. Alcohol is fairly strong and fusel like. A big beer no doubt.

T: This is a candy sweet malt overload. Cloyingly so with some grainy Pilsner surfacing out of the sweet fruity malts. Again the yeast is understated with subtle coriander, clove, and banana bubblegum. There is an oddly sharp bite of earthy hop bitterness there and a big warming alcohol spice finish. Improving as I make my way through the 22oz but still barely passable. Really not much depth to this.

M: Syrupy thick with medium full body and a lower amount of carbonation. Slight dryness to it and a higher amount of warming alcohol on the finish. Sticky feel overall.

D: A real insulin shocker. Just over the top with the malt sugars and boozy alcohol. Not much else to this. Admittedly so this gets a little better as the thing warms up and the ABV starts to run its course. But I could not possibly recommend this for a Tripel.

Asylum from Left Coast Brewing Company