Asylum

Dec 02, 2021
Added:
Feb 04, 2009
SCORE
Good
AsylumAsylum
Notes: None
Recent ratings and reviews. | Log in to view more ratings + sorting options.

Rated: 3.25 by irishevans from California

Dec 02, 2021
Reviewed by BillAfromSoCal from California

3.82/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75
Much better than I expected based on the BA score. Bought as a single 16 oz can off a room temperature shelf then refrigerated and poured. No canning date visible. Pours a deep gold/burnt orange color with dense off-white head about 1.5-2 fingers thick. Good persistence but no real lacing. Not a lot of smell for a Belgian but what is there says "honey+Belgian yeast". The flavor is somewhat honey dominated in my opinion, no alcohol burn. Malt+hop bitterness nicely balanced. Mouthfeel is medium body with mild to moderate fine carbonation. Quite nice overall. As a beer this is quite good, but as a Belgian it is not great example since the Belgian yeast is quite subtle.
Nov 04, 2021
Reviewed by hermosbird from Arizona

1.11/5  rDev -68.4%
This is definitely not a triple.
I feel sick by just smelling it. No spice, no hops and no grains. All I got is alcohol and candy.
If you just want a cup of sweet drink and get drunk soon, this could be it. Other than that I don't think I can imagine a reason to buy this again.
With the same price you can buy equivalent amount of La Fin Du Monde which is a perfect triple.
Oct 03, 2021
Reviewed by sjrider from California

3.67/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5
Bottle pour- nice clear solid gold with thick whitish head leaving frosty lacing. Nose , taste and feel are an attempt to mimic a middle of the road Belgian tripel. Yeasty esters and a bit of spice along with a sweetness and almost syrupy feel. Close but not really.
May 23, 2021

Rated: 3.52 by rawbraves from Colorado

May 11, 2021

Rated: 2.83 by ronniebruner from Arizona

Dec 29, 2020
Reviewed by timon from California

4.12/5  rDev +17.4%
Not bad at all. Great, beige, rocky head on this. Smell is of lemon, wheat, and fruit. Taste is booze and fruits, sugar. Mouthfeel is a bit too syrupy for me. Smell is not the best for a tripel for sure. But ya, overall it's something good to try. The alcohol amount is higher than the average wine (11.8 vs 11.6) and it hides it well. Nice to get a 22 and get a bit faded off, for sure.
Nov 13, 2020

Rated: 3 by TallGuyCM from California

Jun 26, 2020
Rated by Ohknows from Nevada

Pours a copper color, the head has a tint of brown.

This beer is awesome!! Feels good, taste fn awesome! I am definitely having this beer again.
Mar 28, 2020
Reviewed by Magnificent_Bastard

3.47/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5
Pours hay colored, bit mirky. very little head
nose is sweet, elderflower, grass, some slight spices. a bit generic in the style perhaps.
Mouth is pretty mellow and not as intense or fullbodied as most belgium trippels. IBU at 27, does not taste bitter at all
Finish is clean, sweet and floral and with a faint touch of heat from the alcohol clocking in at 11.5

Enjoyable and tasty, but agree with those who thinks it is not really a true representative of a Belgian trippel.
Dec 29, 2019

Rated: 3.81 by Lucnifter from California

Oct 10, 2018

Rated: 3.75 by Stengelfoot from California

Sep 05, 2018

Rated: 3.77 by mcthfg from Korea (South)

Jul 27, 2018

Rated: 4.62 by DOCTORLECTOR from California

Jul 04, 2018
Reviewed by BoodahMoogle from Arkansas

4.79/5  rDev +36.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75
L - pours a beautiful sunset orange. Murky with a little sediment floaters. Only draw back is nearly complete lack of head.

S - very bright and floral

T - super herbal with hints of honey and spice. Would make for an excellent winter night beer by the fire. Alcohol not readily apparent for nearly 12%

F - coats the mouth, in a good way. Definitely feels crisp and bright on the tongue.

Overall - I’m very pleased with this beer and will look for it again.
Apr 18, 2018
Reviewed by ProblemChild from New York

1.91/5  rDev -45.6%
First review on Beer Advocate.

Looking for a Belgian anything for a guest this evening. My go-to was Omegang and for some reason, the one I wanted was not available at the local brew store.

In any event, Asylum from Left Coast was selected on a whim. I create this account for my first review.

FIrst thing noticed - no head. How do you have a Belgian-style beer with zero head. Aroma was, well, off. I could pick out Belgian elements, but that was about it.

The flavor consisted of the pieces of the puzzle that make up a Belgian - but no one put them together. Additionally, it was cloying and wattery. How that was managed at 11.8% is beyond me.

I will not go any further, because it gets worse.

Not worth the effort ot provide thorough sensory analysis, I feel I have provided enough.
Mar 18, 2018

Rated: 3.43 by mnine from California

Nov 11, 2017
Reviewed by Dodgerfan_33 from Nevada

3.86/5  rDev +10%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4
The look of this is a dark caramel color. Not much head and very nice looking.
S: smells sweet with a caramel vanilla and alcohol, smell with a bit of malt. Not my typical style of beer as I am more into IPA but I thought I give this Belgian triple a try.

T: the taste is a bit perfume with a very malty caramel and some floral off notes. Can definetelyvtaste the alcohol as the beer warms.

Feel; the feelpretty carbonated with nice mouthfeel, pretty drinkable at 11.8% ABV.

Overall: I would drink this again although be careful as this one will smack you in the FACE after three beers or so. Not bad for a Triple Belgian. Overall a descent beer.
Oct 10, 2017

Rated: 3.82 by Spezz from California

Aug 07, 2017

Rated: 3.33 by Keananmichael5 from California

Jul 06, 2017
Reviewed by vikinggary28 from California

3.59/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5
This one is a hard one for me to rate since I'm not a big fan of belgian style ales but on sale at my local Grocery Outlet and in the cold box I thought I'd give it a try. To start with I saw it was11abv so for the price ($4.99) why not. Pours dark amber with very little head and lacing. Smells very much floral with caramel. Tastes much the same, not much aftertaste and ok mouthfeel. Not bad. But doesn't taste of 11abv so beware. Prost!
May 28, 2017

Rated: 3.94 by prost2hefeweizen from Oklahoma

May 22, 2017
Reviewed by TwoThreeBrews from California

3.77/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75
11.8% ABV | 27 IUB

The appearance reminded me of a nice, dark golden brown you would love to see on a perfectly roasted marshmallow. The head almost vanished instantly and my beer had no lacing.

The smell took some time for me to lock this one down. It almost gave off no smell but what I came away with was a sweet smell that almost reminded me of caramel or a creamsicle.

The taste was a little underwhelming for a Tripel. The beer was unbelievably smooth for an 11.8% alcohol content and I was left with a sweet take away. This confirmed my caramel scent that I took but it didn't taste anything like a creamsicle and truly lacked what you would look for in any Triple.

The feel was very smooth and almost creamy initially. However, after a few sips it was clear that this beer reminded me of a flat soda. This beer lacks carbonation and any hop taste.

Overall this isn't a terrible beer. The Tripel Belgain packs plenty of punch on the content side and will absolutely help you loosen up after a long day with a smooth finish. I wouldn't turn away a cold pint if you put it in front of me, however, I was expecting more from this one.
May 19, 2017

Rated: 3.5 by afsdan from Colorado

Mar 19, 2017
Reviewed by Marcoxx626 from Florida

2.49/5  rDev -29.1%
Look - beer is a hazy dark golden/copper color and has practically zero head when poured into a glass. You'll see no lacing with these beer either

Smell - Smells of bread, caramel and honey. If I had to choose one word to describe it I would say it smells "funky"

Taste - follows the taste, VERY sweet, and definitely too sweet even for a tripel. Also has a bit of a funky taste.

Feel - you can definitely feel the alcohol, although the beer itself feels pretty smooth. Very flat with almost no carbonation and the feel is honestly like a light cough syrup

Overall - Definitely not my favorite beer...especially for a tripel which is one of my favorite types. I'd go as far as saying that this is an abomination for a tripel. Has a weird funky taste, VERY flat, too sweet and can hardly taste any spices. I would definitely not buy this beer again and I honestly don't feel like finishing the glass as I'm sipping it right now. I can't believe they would call this a tripel and I almost feel cheated for it being labeled as one.
Jan 15, 2017

Rated: 3.38 by Cpmitchno1 from Virginia

Nov 07, 2016

Rated: 3.5 by mtbdonn from Colorado

Nov 03, 2016
Rated by Beerucee from Texas

3.5/5  rDev -0.3%
Boozy sweet beer. Happy Halloween.
Nov 01, 2016