Asylum | Left Coast Brewing Company

3.88/5  rDev +10.5%

3.75/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.81/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.77/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.62/5  rDev +31.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.79/5  rDev +36.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

L - pours a beautiful sunset orange. Murky with a little sediment floaters. Only draw back is nearly complete lack of head.

S - very bright and floral

T - super herbal with hints of honey and spice. Would make for an excellent winter night beer by the fire. Alcohol not readily apparent for nearly 12%

F - coats the mouth, in a good way. Definitely feels crisp and bright on the tongue.

Overall - I’m very pleased with this beer and will look for it again.

1.91/5  rDev -45.6%

First review on Beer Advocate.

Looking for a Belgian anything for a guest this evening. My go-to was Omegang and for some reason, the one I wanted was not available at the local brew store.

In any event, Asylum from Left Coast was selected on a whim. I create this account for my first review.

FIrst thing noticed - no head. How do you have a Belgian-style beer with zero head. Aroma was, well, off. I could pick out Belgian elements, but that was about it.

The flavor consisted of the pieces of the puzzle that make up a Belgian - but no one put them together. Additionally, it was cloying and wattery. How that was managed at 11.8% is beyond me.

I will not go any further, because it gets worse.

Not worth the effort ot provide thorough sensory analysis, I feel I have provided enough.

4.41/5  rDev +25.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.68/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.43/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.86/5  rDev +10%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

The look of this is a dark caramel color. Not much head and very nice looking.
S: smells sweet with a caramel vanilla and alcohol, smell with a bit of malt. Not my typical style of beer as I am more into IPA but I thought I give this Belgian triple a try.

T: the taste is a bit perfume with a very malty caramel and some floral off notes. Can definetelyvtaste the alcohol as the beer warms.

Feel; the feelpretty carbonated with nice mouthfeel, pretty drinkable at 11.8% ABV.

Overall: I would drink this again although be careful as this one will smack you in the FACE after three beers or so. Not bad for a Triple Belgian. Overall a descent beer.

3.82/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.25

3.33/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.59/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This one is a hard one for me to rate since I'm not a big fan of belgian style ales but on sale at my local Grocery Outlet and in the cold box I thought I'd give it a try. To start with I saw it was11abv so for the price ($4.99) why not. Pours dark amber with very little head and lacing. Smells very much floral with caramel. Tastes much the same, not much aftertaste and ok mouthfeel. Not bad. But doesn't taste of 11abv so beware. Prost!

3.94/5  rDev +12.3%

3.77/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

11.8% ABV | 27 IUB

The appearance reminded me of a nice, dark golden brown you would love to see on a perfectly roasted marshmallow. The head almost vanished instantly and my beer had no lacing.

The smell took some time for me to lock this one down. It almost gave off no smell but what I came away with was a sweet smell that almost reminded me of caramel or a creamsicle.

The taste was a little underwhelming for a Tripel. The beer was unbelievably smooth for an 11.8% alcohol content and I was left with a sweet take away. This confirmed my caramel scent that I took but it didn't taste anything like a creamsicle and truly lacked what you would look for in any Triple.

The feel was very smooth and almost creamy initially. However, after a few sips it was clear that this beer reminded me of a flat soda. This beer lacks carbonation and any hop taste.

Overall this isn't a terrible beer. The Tripel Belgain packs plenty of punch on the content side and will absolutely help you loosen up after a long day with a smooth finish. I wouldn't turn away a cold pint if you put it in front of me, however, I was expecting more from this one.

3.97/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.34/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2.49/5  rDev -29.1%

Look - beer is a hazy dark golden/copper color and has practically zero head when poured into a glass. You'll see no lacing with these beer either

Smell - Smells of bread, caramel and honey. If I had to choose one word to describe it I would say it smells "funky"

Taste - follows the taste, VERY sweet, and definitely too sweet even for a tripel. Also has a bit of a funky taste.

Feel - you can definitely feel the alcohol, although the beer itself feels pretty smooth. Very flat with almost no carbonation and the feel is honestly like a light cough syrup

Overall - Definitely not my favorite beer...especially for a tripel which is one of my favorite types. I'd go as far as saying that this is an abomination for a tripel. Has a weird funky taste, VERY flat, too sweet and can hardly taste any spices. I would definitely not buy this beer again and I honestly don't feel like finishing the glass as I'm sipping it right now. I can't believe they would call this a tripel and I almost feel cheated for it being labeled as one.

3.38/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.5/5  rDev -0.3%

Boozy sweet beer. Happy Halloween.

Asylum from Left Coast Brewing Company