Asylum | Left Coast Brewing Company

1.36/5  rDev -61.1%

1.4/5  rDev -60%

1.75/5  rDev -50%

1.85/5  rDev -47.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

1.91/5  rDev -45.4%

First review on Beer Advocate.

Looking for a Belgian anything for a guest this evening. My go-to was Omegang and for some reason, the one I wanted was not available at the local brew store.

In any event, Asylum from Left Coast was selected on a whim. I create this account for my first review.

FIrst thing noticed - no head. How do you have a Belgian-style beer with zero head. Aroma was, well, off. I could pick out Belgian elements, but that was about it.

The flavor consisted of the pieces of the puzzle that make up a Belgian - but no one put them together. Additionally, it was cloying and wattery. How that was managed at 11.8% is beyond me.

I will not go any further, because it gets worse.

Not worth the effort ot provide thorough sensory analysis, I feel I have provided enough.

2.05/5  rDev -41.4%

So I gave this a pretty bad score so I figured I should include a review. It's pretty simple, I do not know how you can call this a triple but that alone doesn't garner a 2.05 rating. Plain and simple this beer was tough to swallow, horrible mouthfeel that coated your mouth and left a unpleasant motor oil like film on your teeth and mouth. Maybe I'm being harsh but it was very unpleasant and I like triples so I was extra disappointed. I also drank and reviewed their Voo Doo stout at the same sitting and it was a fair and good rating so it's nothing against Left Coast just this awful beer. Cheers

2.21/5  rDev -36.9%

Radiant tangerine orange with lemon zest accents and a light sprinkling of fine yeast. The ivory colored head is a mass of glassine bubbles that remains humped in the center and is beginning to lay down delicate sheets of sticky lace around the circumference of the glass. Unfortunately, neither head nor lace last very long.

The aroma is underpowered, though it is passably tripel-like. Oddly enough, it's becoming even more muted as the beer warms. Golden fruity and lightly spicy were my impressions when I had the opportunity to form them. Right about mid-bottle, fusel alcohol comes out to play, slashing the score even further.

Left Coast beer has never impressed me. Black Magic Stout is slightly above average, Hop Juice DIPA is considerably below average, and Torrey Pines IPA is an abomination. Asylum is at least as bad as the last of those. Maybe worse. This is not good beer.

First of all, why jack the ABV all the way up to 11.0% when you obviously have no skill in alcohol masking? One member of the flavor profile is kerosene, which acts as a fly in this less than delicious ointment. Actually, the beer does taste a little like ointment at that.

If blinded, I would have guessed 'Belgian-style tripel mixed with Euro strong lager, brewed by some crappy brewery in Romania or Bulgaria'. Seriously, do these guys taste their beer before bottling it? In addition to grain alcohol, we have a few slices of ripe pear and the suggestion of clove and white pepper.

Simply put, the body/mouthfeel is malt liquor-like. It's medium in heft, slightly sticky from the sugar, and is firm rather than creamy. The same lack of carbonation that failed head retention fails to add any sort of positive energy in the mouth.

Asylum Belgian-Style Tripel Ale might be the worst beer of this style that I've ever had the displeasure to drink. Anyone who thinks that this is what a tripel should taste like needs to be committed to the insane asylum. Shame on you Left Coast.

2.22/5  rDev -36.6%

I bought this beer mostly because it was cheap, bad idea. It smelled grainy and nothing like a tripel. It tasted like a very oxidized barleywine that used Belgian yeast. The alcohol was unbearable. This was try a bad beer and I would not buy it again. It really does nit fit the style either.

2.26/5  rDev -35.4%

2.28/5  rDev -34.9%

2.37/5  rDev -32.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.46/5  rDev -29.7%

The beer looked great. I poured it into my goblet and it was a beautiful amber orange with a great looking head. Smell was slightly sweet but it didn't really prepare me for the taste I was about to experience. The first sip made my pallet lurch forward. This beer is so sweet, that it's almost overwhelming. It was so sweet I didn't even bother trying to find other flavors. That was the hardest goblet of beer i've ever had to finish. Mouthfeel was so thick and stick. It felt like it coated every inch of my esophagus. What is this maple syrup?

2.49/5  rDev -28.9%

Look - beer is a hazy dark golden/copper color and has practically zero head when poured into a glass. You'll see no lacing with these beer either

Smell - Smells of bread, caramel and honey. If I had to choose one word to describe it I would say it smells "funky"

Taste - follows the taste, VERY sweet, and definitely too sweet even for a tripel. Also has a bit of a funky taste.

Feel - you can definitely feel the alcohol, although the beer itself feels pretty smooth. Very flat with almost no carbonation and the feel is honestly like a light cough syrup

Overall - Definitely not my favorite beer...especially for a tripel which is one of my favorite types. I'd go as far as saying that this is an abomination for a tripel. Has a weird funky taste, VERY flat, too sweet and can hardly taste any spices. I would definitely not buy this beer again and I honestly don't feel like finishing the glass as I'm sipping it right now. I can't believe they would call this a tripel and I almost feel cheated for it being labeled as one.

2.57/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Booze not at all well hidden. Harsh mouthfeel. Not like a tripel.

2.59/5  rDev -26%

22oz bomber at 55° and rising.

A - 4.5
Clear, not very carbonated.

S - 3.0
Smells grainy. I don't get much off the nose.

T - 2.0
Oh boy. This was tasted on 1/29/09 and I just didn't like it. I'd like to revisit it later.

MF - 3.0
Average is a good description. Just not good... after the taste, my after taste on tongue play was just not that great but not terrible.

D - 2.5
4oz taster was enough.

Was our sample too warm? Jeez. I'll chill it to 40°F next time.

2.66/5  rDev -24%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Hazy orange color. Thick, white head with good retention. Good lacing.

S - Very strong alcohol, pepper, and phenols. Honey notes when swirled.

T - Citrus, sugar, phenols, and alcohol. Lots of alcohol. I feel like I can breathe fire. Way too earthy.

M - Very crisp. Seems to lose carbonation quickly.

O - I think one glass was enough.

Yup, tried another glass. Not impressed.

2.72/5  rDev -22.3%

A bit sweet for me

2.75/5  rDev -21.4%

Poured a thin head on a hazy, dark straw colored body.
The aroma is overripe fruit, candy-like.
The taste is quite sweet overall with some pear and apple. Finishes with an alcohol warmth.
The texture is crisp with moderate carbonation.
It's a very sweet tasting beer without any of the complexities and balance of a good tripel.

Asylum from Left Coast Brewing Company