Asylum | Left Coast Brewing Company

good
Read the review
AsylumAsylum

Left Coast Brewing Company
leftcoastbrewing.com

Style: Tripel

Added by scottoale on 02-04-2009

3.82/5  rDev +11%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.25

3.33/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.59/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This one is a hard one for me to rate since I'm not a big fan of belgian style ales but on sale at my local Grocery Outlet and in the cold box I thought I'd give it a try. To start with I saw it was11abv so for the price ($4.99) why not. Pours dark amber with very little head and lacing. Smells very much floral with caramel. Tastes much the same, not much aftertaste and ok mouthfeel. Not bad. But doesn't taste of 11abv so beware. Prost!

3.94/5  rDev +14.5%

3.77/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

11.8% ABV | 27 IUB

The appearance reminded me of a nice, dark golden brown you would love to see on a perfectly roasted marshmallow. The head almost vanished instantly and my beer had no lacing.

The smell took some time for me to lock this one down. It almost gave off no smell but what I came away with was a sweet smell that almost reminded me of caramel or a creamsicle.

The taste was a little underwhelming for a Tripel. The beer was unbelievably smooth for an 11.8% alcohol content and I was left with a sweet take away. This confirmed my caramel scent that I took but it didn't taste anything like a creamsicle and truly lacked what you would look for in any Triple.

The feel was very smooth and almost creamy initially. However, after a few sips it was clear that this beer reminded me of a flat soda. This beer lacks carbonation and any hop taste.

Overall this isn't a terrible beer. The Tripel Belgain packs plenty of punch on the content side and will absolutely help you loosen up after a long day with a smooth finish. I wouldn't turn away a cold pint if you put it in front of me, however, I was expecting more from this one.

3.97/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.34/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2.49/5  rDev -27.6%

Look - beer is a hazy dark golden/copper color and has practically zero head when poured into a glass. You'll see no lacing with these beer either

Smell - Smells of bread, caramel and honey. If I had to choose one word to describe it I would say it smells "funky"

Taste - follows the taste, VERY sweet, and definitely too sweet even for a tripel. Also has a bit of a funky taste.

Feel - you can definitely feel the alcohol, although the beer itself feels pretty smooth. Very flat with almost no carbonation and the feel is honestly like a light cough syrup

Overall - Definitely not my favorite beer...especially for a tripel which is one of my favorite types. I'd go as far as saying that this is an abomination for a tripel. Has a weird funky taste, VERY flat, too sweet and can hardly taste any spices. I would definitely not buy this beer again and I honestly don't feel like finishing the glass as I'm sipping it right now. I can't believe they would call this a tripel and I almost feel cheated for it being labeled as one.

3.38/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.5/5  rDev +1.7%

Boozy sweet beer. Happy Halloween.

3.98/5  rDev +15.7%

3.6/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.18/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a bomber into a chalice-style glass. Slightly murky reddish-gold with a thin head that dissapeared quickly, some lacing. No obvious best buy date. Printed label on bottle stated an ABV of 11.8%. One sip confirmed that.

Not at all true to style - excessive alcohol, no spice. It didn't taste bad, but it didn't remind me of any tripel or quad I ever had. I'm not familiar with this brewery - perhaps they used their signature yeast to make something it's not suited for.

If I had brewed this at home I'd be pleased with the result. As a commercial product it misses the mark. I would not buy this again given any more qualified choice. I would not hesitate to try other Left Coast brews, however.

3.56/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.99/5  rDev +16%

3.6/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.13/5  rDev +20.1%

3.25/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.38/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.16/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

3.9/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Hazy dark gold with a thick slightly off-white head that dissipated quickly, leaving a curtain of lacing.
Mucho caramel fruit on the nose and palate. Some bread. Some spice.
Lower carbonation and mouthfeel. The 11% ABV comes through pretty well.
Not exactly true to style, apparently. Tasty nonetheless.

1.4/5  rDev -59.3%