Eisenbahn Dourada (Kölsch) | Cervejaria Sudbrack Ltda

good
Eisenbahn Dourada (Kölsch)Eisenbahn Dourada (Kölsch)

Cervejaria Sudbrack Ltda
Brazil
eisenbahn.com.br

Style: Kölsch

Eisenbahn Kolsch is an ale produced with four types of malts including wheat. With a light body, gold color and low bitterness, it has a fruity aroma and an abv of 4.8%.

Added by soper2000 on 03-01-2005

3.5

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
3.71/5  rDev +6%

I have really been impressed with this Brazilian brewery to date and this golden or Kolsch whatever the style is also quite nice.Poured into my trusty Mackinac Island Cylinder glass a light to medium golden with a slight chilled haze to it a tight 1/2 finger white head atop wich was gone rather quickly.Very clean aromas a bit to clean for me just toastiness and a bit of residual sweetness and melon but I had to try to get that,a full mouthfeel for such a style not wimpy at all very solid and defining.A malt tilted brew in my mind on the palate somewhat toasty and firm with a hint of honey sweetness a bit of floral hop rounds out the finish.A nice after work beer after spending 8 hours in a hot kitchen,it has substance the only thing lacking in my mind is a fuller aroma still a nice beer.

3.68/5  rDev +5.1%

Pours out a dark golden orange with a minimal white head that drops quickly.

Smell. nice small malty sweetness with a touch of floral and some bananas.

Taste. Is richer in flavor, but still refreshing. More banana flavors come out, but i get a decent amount of sweet fresh red apples with some graininess to it. Is on the sweeter side, but not cloying. seems to also have a small touch of a spiciness and yeastiness to it.

Mouthfeel. body is crisp at a medium level. Carbonation level is high but not overly done.

Overall, a nice beer that i find changes up a good amount with the temperture. for $2 i think it is a bit excessive to think i'll get a sixpack of it, but it is still quite enjoyable.

3.42/5  rDev -2.3%

Appears a honey golden tone with a white vibrant head fades quickly into nothing leaves minimal lacing all around my chalice. Aroma pale lightly toasted malts bring minimal sweetness touch of herbal hops with some floral accents pretty delicate. Flavor biscuit malts snappy hop bite grassy herbal natured of course malt finishes nice with some honey edged tones, pretty straight forward and solid golden ale. Mouthfeel is light bodied spritzy carbonation tickles the back of the throat a bit, I could use a mellower feel. Drinkability is decent but not something I would reach for regularly definitely a well made Kolsch style ale.

3.7/5  rDev +5.7%

12oz bottle found at Premier Gourmet, in Buffalo. And while I looked with curiosity at the beers' names all written in Portuguese, the Girl From Ipanema started playing on the overhead. I took that to be a sign and grabbed a couple.

Pours with no head but a steady (although semi-lazy) stream of bubbles, half of which seem content lounging on the sides of my glass. The other half are active, rising and drifting about. The colour is quite deep, golden hued with a bronze coating (*Moça do corpo dourado, do sol de Ipanema*) While Kolschs should have big fluffy head, and this has none, it still is such a very attractive colour.
A variety of malts (and wheat) are detected in aroma, which is very 'German' in character (the right thing for a true style Kolsch). It's considerably well layered, albeit straightforward. A very low bitterness but considerably thick body. It is dry but the malts are very assertive and offer plenty of flavour. I think it's the wheat that is imparting the dry, grainy character. The flavour is a little like green grapes, moist but with a sweet, dry finish. Man this is malty! More and more I taste the green grape flavour. All in all this is great for hot summer weather.

With Brazil's German population (and a brewery name like "Eisenbahn") I'm not surprised this is good, but I am a little taken back by just how good. I would love to enjoy another one of these soon, (hopefully next time in Brazil :)

3.95/5  rDev +12.9%

Pours out a pretty thin head, despite an aggressive pour, which turns to a crown quickly. A coppery color, this is certainly a darker shade than most Kolschs I've had.

Aroma is fruity: pear, peach, lemon. And, at the risk of being repetitive, there's a little more malt presence than most Kolschs I've had.

And, wouldn't ya know it, the flavor brings in a heavier maltiness than most Kolschs I've had. But I'm not an expert on this style so maybe this is actually definitive of the style. I do know it's just what the doctor ordered for this muggy hot summer day. Lots of apple juice in the flavor, succulent white grape, caramel syrup and a wave of flowery sweetness in the finish.

Not what I expected, but better than I expected. Chalk another one up for this impressive brewery, who have yet to fail these tastebuds.

3.9/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a decent kolsch. I've been fairly impressed with Eisenbahn so far, and this beer is no exception, though probably my least favorite as of yet (at least until I try the Defumada).

The beer pours to a yellowish gold color with an orangish tint. Thick white head with fairly weak retention that settles down to a film. Very little lacing is left as it recedes. Very little carbonation rising up from the bottom, even despite the etching in the bottom of my glass.

The smell is decent. Very clean. A hint of caramel with mostly pilsener malt and perhaps a hint of munich lending a bit of a bready aroma. Not a very estery ale, as expected from the lager fermentation temps. Just a hint of vegetal. So far, it seems right on par with what I would expect from a kolsch.

The taste is good. Very similar to what I would expect from the nose. Mostly dry with a tad bit of caramel sweetness up front. Crisp pilsener flavor with a finish of bready munich malt. Not too much in terms of hops flavor, just a very clean ale. Also a hint of a vegetal taste. Very light and easy drinking. Just enough flavor to keep it interesting without going out of style.

The body is light and crisp, though the carbonation is fairly gentle on the palate. The ABV is obviously light as well. Very clean finish with no aftertaste. Easy to drink. I doubt I would put down $12 for a sixer of this, but it was worth trying a single. I'll probably stick to the Escura if I'm going to revisit anything from this brewery, though there are still a few others to come before any revisiting is done.

3.08/5  rDev -12%

Appearance: Pours a clear honey color with a modest head that leaves the occasional dot of lacing

Smell: Distinct wheat aroma redolent of cream of wheat breakfast cereal; a touch of caramel underneath

Taste: Starts out with a slightly sweat malty, wheat flavor with a plaintain (unsweet banana) aspect; after the swallow, the wheat flavor builds a bit and there is a slight bitterness to the finish, but most of the flavor here is sweet

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: When I read that this was a Kölsch, I was rather intrigued but I come away from this with considerable disappointment - Where is the fruit? Where is the crispness? It is a hybrid style but one I just didn't find enjoyable as I was looking for some balancing fruit and crispness that never appeared.

3.8/5  rDev +8.6%

Pale orange with the incandescent, fiery ball of the morning sun on the opposite side of the glass. Steady streams of rapidly rising bubbles gradually lose the battle against the deflation of the ivory colored cap. It displays little character as it falls and leaves no lace.

The nose consists of pale malt, spicy hops, fruity yeast and a wee bit of alcohol. I'm amazed that I can pick out that last one in a beer with an ABV less than 5.0%, but I'm pretty sure I'm not hallucinating. It's a decent nose, but is nothing special.

I wasn't sure how close Dourada fit into the kolsch guidelines until I reread them. Trust me, it fits easily with room to spare on all sides. The considerable pale malt backbone is ramrod firm and the spicy, lemongrassy German hoppiness is definitely on the assertive side. I can even appreciate an exceedingly dry white wine vinousness on the crisp, snappy finish.

The mouthfeel is medium-full (for the style) rather than light-medium, but then I've always been okay with a beer that 'errs' in the upward direction. I'm not as happy with the sparkly, harsh carbonation. It settles down somewhat over time, allowing me to feel good about the score granted.

Dourada isn't the beer that Eisenbahn Rauchbier is (although I've given them identical flavor and drinkability scores), but it is a classic kolsch that is a pleasure to drink. Given the ABV, it would make a great hot weather session beer. Des Moines in July or Sao Paulo in January.

3.53/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A Brazilian take on a localized German style, sounds interesting. Luminous pure gold under a quickly receding, milky white head. Subtle pear-like aroma. Soft, sweet, fruity flavor over some grain - slick sweetness holds everything together. Light and dry. This might be a little to upfront for a kölsch, but since its such an obscure style, I'll assume Eisenbahn used it as a starting point. Flavorful and light.

Batch No. 09

3.58/5  rDev +2.3%

Classic golden ale color, very thin, not a great amount of head - about one finger with a very vigorous pour. It smells very much like a lager, a lot of malt and I'm afraid a bit of an adjunct-like aroma. Tiny amount of citric hop presence.

This is a very quaffable golden ale, definitely light in body. The light amount of bitterness is on the low end, I certainly wouldn't mind that extra layer of complexity. Green-red apple, a little citric, and a definite adjunct flavor which is very unfortunate. It could be a lot of wheat, but it tastes like a beefed-up macro lager; only the slightest of grapevine flavors which brings down the mouthfeel as it is a little too thin for me.

Dry finish, style-appropriate. Fair carbonation, very clean and drinkable. I enjoyed it with pork and green vegetable stir fry, could be applied to many light dishes and some spicier ones as well. No points for complexity but a good session brew.

4.02/5  rDev +14.9%

Golden body, high clarity, rapid streams of champagne bubbles swarm to feed two fingers of foam.

Smells fresh, clean pale malts and light fruitiness.

Main flavor is pale malt, bland wheat, a redeeming finish though. Slight residual hop in the finish, with an apple hint.

Prickly, dry mouthfeel due to moderate carbonation. Very easy to session, a fairly simple ale.

Notes: Bottle states "all malt ale" and "water, malt, hops" are the listed ingredients.

4.57/5  rDev +30.6%

I buy this great beer quite often. Beautiful golden colour, with a thin head but a nice lace that sticks to the glass and remains throughout consumption. It has fruity aromas and also reminders of wheat and barley. On mouth has a low bitterness, light body and some barley taste. A very round and smooth beer, great for pairing with sea food.

4.15/5  rDev +18.6%

It's the only Kölsch beer I've ever had, so I don't have anything to compare it too, but I can say I really like this beer.

Pours a nice gold color, creating a nice head (not as thick and foamy as a hefe weizen, but still a nice head).

Smell's nice, mouthfeel is quite pleasing, and taste's good also, the wheat adds a nice touch to it. Try it if you have the chance!

[edited to correct spelling errors]

4.55/5  rDev +30%

Oh man. This was really a joy to me. This brewery is nowadays the best in Brazil, a little gem in the middle of some lousy macrobreweries...
This German-like beer turned into my favorite here since I started to drink it very, very often. I would say that the best about it is that it combines the complexity and flavors of the ales with the freshness and aroma of the wheat beers. This one is made from 4 different kinds of malt, including the wheat one.
The alcohol is pretty low in volume (4,8%), which, along with the wheaty flavor, makes it goddamn drinkable...

Appearance: Dark gold, very dense white head. Really something.
Smell: Fruity. Bananas, bread, barley...
Taste: Really good. Complex, refreshing, banana, malt, fruits...
Mouthfeel: It fills your mouth much better than any other refreshing beer.
Drinkability: I could drink that forever...

It matches really well with seafood, citric dishes, chicken and delicate cheeses. Recommended.

4.46/5  rDev +27.4%

Great brew, extremely light, with a fruitty taste.

A - Really light, almost like a Pilsen, great head.

S - Fruitty smell, light hop and a bit of cereals.

T - Soft fruit, cereals and a just a bit of hop taste.

M - Pretty soft, the head is a bit too smooth, but the mouthfeel is light.

D - Damn drinkable, soft tastes, nothing too much exagerated, light smell also, goes well.

And this Kölsch must goes excellent with some light food, like fishes
Though I tasted it pure.

4.05/5  rDev +15.7%

Blonde-ish light gold with a nice full white head, nice active carbonation, and sporadic lace. Nice balanced grainy malt, fruity, and light hop aroma and flavor. Medium-light bodied and light creaminess.

Very impressed with this brewery since they can make my least favorite style and it's not bad...

Nice second Brazilian beer from the BOM club.

4.3/5  rDev +22.9%

A- light golden color with a huge fluffy white head. retention is great and it laces down the glass.

S- light sweet fruit aroma, yeast, malt, bread, grain

T- banana, malt, yeast, strong bread flavor, finish is light and smooth with just a slight hop tingle.

M- extremely smooth and slight chewy feel. light carbonation.

D- very easy to drink.

overall- got this with a beer of the month club i got as a present. VERY balanced and smooth flavor. This is the first of the style that i have reviewed, so i have nothing to go against. but with that said it is an excellent brew. if you can get ahold of it try it out.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last