Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Melbourn Bros. Apricot | Melbourn Bros.

YOUR RATING = None |

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-20-2001

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
Reviews: 79 | Ratings: 88
4.69/5  rDev +24.7%

Poured out a nice honeyed golden with just a bit of thick, creamy white head that stayed as a nice thick layer with a few large bubbles. For $5.50 for this 12ozer that I had never had before I really don't know what I have in store for me, but hey, I am always up for an adventure, and that was what my freakin shopping cart at Stateline was all about!
Wow, wonderfully scented... thick, fresh bread dough... slightly sour... malty.... and then a bit of of apricot punching through....
Almost champagnelike in the mouthfeel, but maybe one step down from being too fizzy... Almost creamy, almost thickish. Very vineous in the taste though, more chardonnay, white grapes. Maltyness is fairly pronounced but also very nice. Man, this is very good. When I want to have a fruit beer, a lambic, this is what it should be tasting like. This is bordering on a sour, makes me think of Monk's flemish sour a bit- and that is a complement! But the sourness is not too overpowering at all, just wonderful.... the apricot flavors are perfect. This is something that is just done so well, I mean, it is not one where you search for the flavor, or where it is too overbearing. It leaves just enough flavor in your mouth, but not too much. I could easily sit back with a few of these and sip away!

4.7/5  rDev +25%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Part of me is sad to fawn over such a sweet brew. But I must say, I'm a sucker for the cloyingly sweet Melbourn Bros. beers. Dead on apricot flavors, never over the top, but right to the edge. Pricey at $5 a bottle but I have to admit they are worth it. Have a friend who loves cider but dismisses beer, give them this beer.

4.72/5  rDev +25.5%

The first experience of this beer was the overwelming smell of apricot when pouring the beer. The color of the foam was light wheat with a small hint of orange. During the pouring into my mouth, there was a distinct and potent smell of dried apricots - beauty! There was more taste of apricots than hops. It felt like I was drinking pure apricots. Mouthfeel - light, smooth and excellent.

4.82/5  rDev +28.2%

A fun beer. Beneath the tart, ripe, natural tasting apricot flavor there is a nutty maltiness and doughy sourness that makes it a compelling drink. What's impressive is the seemless joining of fruity, yeasty malt with apricot-seed and fruit. I know nothing of the heritage, but I did notice a mention of "spontanaeous fermentation."
I was sceptical. How foolish.

This is a sour beer-drinkers delight. How has it been kept from for this long? I'm almost 35 for crying out loud! I needed to know about this at least 5 years ago.
Very complex with pure, sunny honey aromatics, meyer lemons, and crushed, raw pistachios. As dry as any American Pale Ale or IPA, only the fruit isn't simple piney grapefruit. It's apricot and almond butter!

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
Melbourn Bros. Apricot from Melbourn Bros.