Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Style: Dubbel

Added by BrewMaster on 11-14-2004

2.7

1.94/5  rDev -33.6%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy amber with a surprisingly modest head that fizzes away quickly without a trace

Smell: Somewhere in there is a nice malty aroma, but the phenols on this beer are so nasty that you don't want to search for them

Taste: Opens pleasantly enough, with a sweet Belgian caramel base that moves in a banana and clove direction by mid-palate (more like a trippel than a dubbel); then, all H#ll breaks loose with phenols everywhere detracting from the flavor profile, leaving a prickly, spicy, phenolic, medicinal aftertaste

Mouthfeel: Medium body with very modest carbonation but considerable mouth burn

Drinkability: Really tough to finish this one; headed for the drain

2.82/5  rDev -3.4%

I thought at first that this was a dark tripel but this website calls it a dubbel, so I'll go with that.

It poured a cloudy reddish orange and produced very little head, mostly just a fine layer on top of the strange looking liquid. The one good thing about the appearance was the color, it was strange but interesting.

The aroma was both good and bad. The good part was the pleasant sweetness and malty smoothness of a dubbel. The bad part was the sour/alcohol aroma that came off the beer. The flavor was quite similar to the aroma. A bitterness (possibly hops, possibly something else) that I would expect more from a young tripel or a uder spiced wit was dominating. There was also a medicinal quality that I can't quite describe in there. The best parallel that I can draw is the tripel from Green Flash that I got from the brewery in the form of low-fill bottles.

The body was relatively light, as was the color for this style. It helps the drinkability some and was unexpected from the appearance. The drinkability however was only alright because of the distractions in the taste.

2.96/5  rDev +1.4%

From notes. Pours into my glass a deep amber with a small white head and nice steady carbonation. Aromas of apple and light fruit upfront with brown sugar, caramel and somewhat of a vinegar sour twang in the background as well. Interesting, but it seems a bit off as well.

First sip brings sour fruit upfront, apple and lemon peel. Brown sugar and caramel sweetness midway through. Flows down with a light vinegar twang and a weird play of sweet and sour flavors. Odd brew here.

Mouthfeel is on the medium to lighter side with good, sturdy carbonation. Goes down fairly easy but the overall flavor just doesn't mesh well at all. This one didn't do it for me and I'll be passing on any more Angel City unless I can get it at the source.

4.24/5  rDev +45.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Angel city abbey ale, april 14 2006

Angel city abbey ale, april 14 2006

Appearance: a weak point of the beer. Even with the most vigorous pour the Belgian style abbey ale only produces a film of a head, which quickly fades. The beer is very cloudy and even with careful pouring, suspended yeast particles abound. Color wise, the beer is an amber color lighter than a traditional dubble, and darker than a traditional trippel. Without a taste, you could either way. 3.5/

Smell: after a disappointing dunkle by Angel City, a quick glance at a few poor reviews a few weeks ago (I’m typing this from Sea Ranch on the Sonoma county coast far from any internet connection), I was preparing for the worse. Instead I am greeted by one the most pleasant beer smells I’ve had in the past few days. This smells like a very fruity trippel. Pears and plums abound on this one. A sweet molasses like candy smell is here as well, although not as pronounced as a dubbel. With a blindfold on I would say this is a trippel. A very nice smelling beer, that makes you want to keep sticking your nose in the glass. 4.5

Taste: I use the descriptors of pears and plums a lot when describing Belgian beers, but this is like drinking pear juice. An extremely fruity tasting dark trippel, and very “Belgian” tasting beer. This could sit in with the best of amber Belgians from the native land. The yeast is this beer is just something else and quite nice. 4

Mouthfeel: a nice Belgian strong ale, light body for the strength, no complaints. 4.5

Drinkability: a fun hour or so to spend with this bomber, certainly a good drinker, although more of a sipper than a slugger. 4.5

I got this at the Torrance bev MO for 2.99 a bomber, probably for the money, the best damn Belgian style beer, I’ve had at that price. Only available in the LA area, but well worth a purchase at any price. Recommended, most American Abbey Ales don’t have this much character.

1.73/5  rDev -40.8%

Whoa! I don't know what I'm reviewing here.
Pours a decent amber but a very, VERY disappointing head that melts to tiny lacing on the ring of the glass within seconds.
Aroma is initially begium malt/yeast although a little weak for the style.
Taste is a total shocker for me. Initally a mildly sweet malt that gets overpowered and disappears completely to a very sour lemony bitterness upon swallowing. Not a hop citrus...merely a lemony bitterness without a hint of sugar.
Aftertaste is both lemon peel and something metalic.
The mouthfeel lacks all of the fine carbonation richness that should be present in a conditioned beer of this sort
I wish I could say that this was merely a bad bottle but in truth, the flavors seem intentional and as such just do not belong in this style let alone beer at all.
Sorry Angel City....Abbey it's not...belgium it's not...beer? Only by ingredients.

2.26/5  rDev -22.6%

Peeling away the thick gold foil had me looking forward to this beer. Life is full of disapointments.

Pours with a cloudy soupy brown beef brothy hue with a spotty collar.

Scents are soury lemon and a hint of malt.

First swigs: Sour lemony pucker and a cran-grape-fruity juice twing. Not impressive. Diluted hodgepodge. Too sour. No belgian aspects whatsoever.

Feel is dry and undercarbonated.

Last swigs: Drain pour #2 from Angel City this week in Irvine, CA. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. When the best aspect of your beer is 8.0% and $3.49 a bomber, something is amiss.

Beer is good. Happy (better than this) beering.

3.12/5  rDev +6.8%

Presentation: 22 ounce Bomber with a standard brass colored crown cap and a colorful 1930’s art-deco style label with the words Angel City Brewing. Gold lettering has the beer listed as “Angel City Abbey – is made with Belgian Yeast, Malt and brewing sugar. Smooth and complex, allow this beer to warm to bring out new flavors“. No freshness date but listed at 8.0% ABV.

Appearance: Disappointing return on investment, especially as I cracked out and freshly cleaned a Maredsous Goblet for this one. Slack head that relaxes from 1” to “No” Inch in less than 30 seconds, only a wispy beige halo froth remains. Dark amber body with ruddy tones is clear and looks good, but the overall impression is woefully let down by the flaccid head. Conditioning is very fine and should support the head more than it does.

Nose: Candi sugar and warm Belgian malts mix with a toffee like Caramelized finish. Aromas of skinned crab apples, baked pears, crumbling damp rotten wood, and a yeasty twist at the death. The odors are warming of sorts too.

Taste: Hints of dark fruits sit loosely against the Belgian malts and doughy yeast aspects. Tartness when chilled seems more acidic as it warms with some metallic elements too…..which I recognize, no wait, don’t tell me….<edit>…..I got it!!! It reminds me of the first time I was dared to lick a strip of Magnesium during a Chemistry practical at Secondary School in England. Hmmm, didn’t like it then and I don’t care for it now. I am half wondering if this is intentional OR if I have a suspect brew!? Hmmm, knowing that these bottles were fresh at Hi-Times days before I picked them up means that I suspect the former - so will go with this Review for now. Starts off pretty good but finish with a messy ending. Sweetness increases with the warmth of the beer as well which becomes tacky and cloying.

Mouthfeel: Soft caramel and infused toffee in the Mouthfeel, creamy and chewy mix effortlessly in an easy going way that supports the tastes adequately.

Drinkability: Reasonable effort that doesn’t tax the senses too much but it can become a little “so-so” half way through, and a tad “so-what” when finished.

Overall: Cost $3.49 during a recent raid at Hi-Times in Costa Mesa. Pulls up towards the end after a disappointing start to manage an “average” vote overall. I couldn’t help but note these words on the AC WebSite. “The goal of Angel City Brewing is to grow and develop into a regional microbrewery along the lines of an Anchor Brewing Company or Sierra Nevada Brewing Company.” Having had five Angel City brews to date, I can honestly say that they are way short of the mark here, and I so wish they weren’t, we need a good regional microbrewery in LA. Average and the second best of the AC brews that I have had to date, but sadly there far too many better options out there to even think about picking this one up again. Hope they improve this over time and with honest feedback.

1.58/5  rDev -45.9%

Pours a medium brown colored beer with no real head.

Smell is sour and a bit fruity. No coriander or other expected smells.

Taste is sour like a lambic with a slight fruity flavor. Tastes spoiled.

Mouthfeel is bad.

Not real drinkable, a waste of my money here.

2.77/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

reddish to copper in color. had to pour failry stiff to get the head I was looking for and then it fizzled out to a thin film. slippery lacing that leaves little trace of existence.

Smells like a dubbel for the most part minus any rich malt background. Some cloves, yeast and sour notes.

Smack of sour right off the bat settled by a very subtle malt profile that has a slight dark fruit presence. mouthfeel is light and lacking any texture. No warming even for an 8%.

Notes: My first beer from this brewery and we are not off to a good start. Maybe this was their first stab at a belgian, I have no idea but I do know this is not a worthy Dubbel nor will it find my fridge anytime soon.

3.75/5  rDev +28.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Had this a few times on tap in the Los Angeles area, but just saw they released it in 22s at my local shop. The red hue appearance is a bit misleading as the taste is not as strong as first expected. Certainly not the best dubbel I've had, but the price and availability is right. Very drinkable, I recommend

3.41/5  rDev +16.8%

I had this beer at a friend's brithday party. The brewer from Angel City was there and apparently this was an early release straight from the fermenter. The beer tasted a little young, but good nonetheless. The beer was a dark but clear brown with a slight reddish tint. It had a thick tan head on top that did not last too long. Very little aroma came from this brew and there was not much flavor either. Light notes off sweet malt with a bit of corriander spice. This beer definately needs time.

Angel City Abbey from Angel City Brewery