Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Pisgah Pale Ale | Pisgah Brewing Co.

Pisgah Pale AlePisgah Pale Ale
3.8/5
Very Good
Pisgah Pale AlePisgah Pale Ale

Pisgah Brewing Co.
North Carolina, United States
pisgahbrewing.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Formerly known as Pisgah American Style Pale Ale.

Pisgah Pale is a perfect blend of rich organic malts with whole-leaf Chinook and Nugget hops. A crisp, clean profile makes this, our flagship beer, distinct. 31 I.B.U.

Added by brentk56 on 08-01-2005

4.38/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.37/5  rDev +15%

Thanks to Deuane for filling and bringing this beauty back from NC for me!! This is my third different Pisgah offering and I cannot wait for more.

A - Caramel colored beer. The beer pours from the growler with at least a finger of head that really doesn't last too long, but there was plenty of lacing.

S - Mostly earthy and grassy hops come through. There is just a faint maltiness that follows the initial hops.

T - Taste is great, but fairly straightforward. Hops aren't overpowering (it is a pale ale after all). There is a balance that I haven't found in many beers.

M - Close to medium bodied, low carbonation (which fits the beer). Smooth drinking.

D - 5. Not much more to say - easy drinking, great flavor, session beer. I split the growler with my wife, but I could have drunk the whole think easily. I only wish this one was regularly available!!

Thanks again Deuane, you the man!! (Enough props?)

4.35/5  rDev +14.5%

Serving type- 22 ounce bomber poured into a Pisgah pint glass.

A- Pours a dark orange, almost amber color. Initally there is a massive head but it gradully falls away to a nice even one; this head produces a nice white lacing that sticks around to the end of the glass. There is a lot of carbonation activty after the pour as well. Overall a good looking pale ale.

S- I am picking up only subtle hints of pine and hops in this one. In my opinion, there seems to be little, if any smell notes coming off this beer.

T- This is a very tasty APA. I taste the bitter hop notes from start to finish. Nothin overwhelming but a nice even taste that is strong enough for an APA but not teetering on the IPA style. Overall a very good APA offering that I could easily see as a session beer if it were available to me on a regular basis.

I had previoulsy had this before at the brewery on tap but I was unable to take notes. I did remember that it was a good beer and that if given the chance I should try it again. Once again Pisgah has made good stuff and I definately will be having any chance I get.

4.33/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

4.32/5  rDev +13.7%

David Quin is the head brewer at Pisgah. He won the Gold with this beer at age 26. Pisgah Pale Ale has set a standard for me in the American Pale Ale catagory. It is the measuring stick for all others. You must try this beer if at all possible!!!
Straight from the tap it was a deep honey/soft rust color. The head was long lasting-slightly off-white and tight laced. The nose was fresh cascade hops and apricot. The mouth was no disappointment either. The combination of malt, fruity esther (mostly apricot), and good bitters had my attention for 6 more pints. This is an extremely well balanced beer with much depth and character. The lingering taste of soft fruit and esther was well satisfying.

4.3/5  rDev +13.2%

I apologize for the lack of detail, as I'm doing this review from memory. The appearance was typical for pale ales - light amber in color, clear, and had a decent head.

The smell was difficult for me to determine (this was at the Asheville Brewgrass Fest), but I could definitely smell the grassy hops.

Taste was terrific. This is one of the most unique pale ales I've had, and of all the beers I sampled at the Brewgrass festival, the most remarkable. I don't know if it was the type of hops used (Chinook and Mount Hood), or the fact that it was "USDA certified organic', but it was a very distinctly flavored pale. And it was very good, very drinkable. I only wish I could have purchased some to take home.

4.28/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Canned same day as consumed.

4.26/5  rDev +12.1%

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

First tried at Asheville BeerFest.

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

Pale copper color. Smells like earthy/piney hops. Flavors are very well balanced, a good amount of bittering and a heavy enough malt presence. Tastes slightly bready. Definitely a great example of the style and is probably my favorite thing I've had from this brewery.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.24/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Lighter copper color, poured into glass. Smells of citrus, tastes of crisp grapefruit with a great caramel malt background. Very enjoyable pale ale and would probably be a staple in my fridge if I lived in that area. Glad I found this at the Waynesville Walmart, as it was too late on a Sunday evening for any other beer shopping.

4.21/5  rDev +10.8%

4.21/5  rDev +10.8%

4.18/5  rDev +10%

On tap at pisgah brewery

A - cloudy golden orange. Thin head that sticks on the side of the glass.

S - citrus, fruit, mild hops

T - it's all here, hops, clean finish, some mild sweetness, malts, some back of tongue bitterness.

M - spot on. Great balance.

O - defintiely one of the better apa's I have had. Organic and fresh makes a difference.

4.17/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.17/5  rDev +9.7%

4.14/5  rDev +8.9%

Thanks to jcwattsrugger for sharing a growler from his trip to the South:

Pours a murky amber with a swirling patch that almost covers the top.

The smell is lemony, tea-leafy and herbal. Some citrus.

The taste is of lemon/orange citrus. Amazingly hoppy - almost an IPA, but a sweet brown-sugar-like malt supports it and brings it all together. It's hoppy, but balanced in the finish.

Medium-bodied with just the right amount of carbonation.

This is a nice APA that comes close to an IPA, but the balance in the finish keeps it in style. Nice brew here!

4.12/5  rDev +8.4%

On draft at the brewery.

Poured a hazy orange hue with a half finger foamy white head. There was good retention and lacing.

See my review of the IPA and know that the profile is essentially the same except that the pale ale is cleaner with a touch less sweetness (duh).

The mouthfeel was toward the fuller side of the style.

Overall a tasty hop driven pale ale.

4.12/5  rDev +8.4%

4.11/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Tap pours provide bigger head and nice floral and citrus aromas. Pisgah is 90%+ organic but since hops are not sources organic, the USDA changes made them lose the label. Great mouth feel and better than typical Pale Ale tastes including a nice malty- hoppy balance.

4.1/5  rDev +7.9%

On tap at Barley's Tap Room in Asheville, on 9/23/2005. Arrived in a pint glass, a hazy honey amber body with a small, offwhite head. Excellent retention and attractive island chain lacing decorates the glass. Hoppy aroma of grapefruit and pine cone, suggestive of Cascades. Good caramel maltiness is picked up in the background. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and carbonation a bit high. Taste has an aggressive hops bitterness, again suggestive of Cascades, with lots of citrusy rind and pine resin. Caramel maltiness is noticable but in the background. Finishes with a dry and lasting grapefruit bitterness. Very well executed, and highly drinkable. An excellent, Carolina APA.

Pisgah Pale Ale from Pisgah Brewing Co.