Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Pisgah Pale Ale | Pisgah Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
Pisgah Pale AlePisgah Pale Ale

Pisgah Brewing Co.
North Carolina, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Formerly known as Pisgah American Style Pale Ale.

Pisgah Pale is a perfect blend of rich organic malts with whole-leaf Chinook and Nugget hops. A crisp, clean profile makes this, our flagship beer, distinct. 31 I.B.U.

Added by brentk56 on 08-01-2005

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
Reviews: 85 | Ratings: 241
4.32/5  rDev +14.3%

David Quin is the head brewer at Pisgah. He won the Gold with this beer at age 26. Pisgah Pale Ale has set a standard for me in the American Pale Ale catagory. It is the measuring stick for all others. You must try this beer if at all possible!!!
Straight from the tap it was a deep honey/soft rust color. The head was long lasting-slightly off-white and tight laced. The nose was fresh cascade hops and apricot. The mouth was no disappointment either. The combination of malt, fruity esther (mostly apricot), and good bitters had my attention for 6 more pints. This is an extremely well balanced beer with much depth and character. The lingering taste of soft fruit and esther was well satisfying.

4.35/5  rDev +15.1%

Serving type- 22 ounce bomber poured into a Pisgah pint glass.

A- Pours a dark orange, almost amber color. Initally there is a massive head but it gradully falls away to a nice even one; this head produces a nice white lacing that sticks around to the end of the glass. There is a lot of carbonation activty after the pour as well. Overall a good looking pale ale.

S- I am picking up only subtle hints of pine and hops in this one. In my opinion, there seems to be little, if any smell notes coming off this beer.

T- This is a very tasty APA. I taste the bitter hop notes from start to finish. Nothin overwhelming but a nice even taste that is strong enough for an APA but not teetering on the IPA style. Overall a very good APA offering that I could easily see as a session beer if it were available to me on a regular basis.

I had previoulsy had this before at the brewery on tap but I was unable to take notes. I did remember that it was a good beer and that if given the chance I should try it again. Once again Pisgah has made good stuff and I definately will be having any chance I get.

4.37/5  rDev +15.6%

Thanks to Deuane for filling and bringing this beauty back from NC for me!! This is my third different Pisgah offering and I cannot wait for more.

A - Caramel colored beer. The beer pours from the growler with at least a finger of head that really doesn't last too long, but there was plenty of lacing.

S - Mostly earthy and grassy hops come through. There is just a faint maltiness that follows the initial hops.

T - Taste is great, but fairly straightforward. Hops aren't overpowering (it is a pale ale after all). There is a balance that I haven't found in many beers.

M - Close to medium bodied, low carbonation (which fits the beer). Smooth drinking.

D - 5. Not much more to say - easy drinking, great flavor, session beer. I split the growler with my wife, but I could have drunk the whole think easily. I only wish this one was regularly available!!

Thanks again Deuane, you the man!! (Enough props?)

4.4/5  rDev +16.4%

Served on tap small off white head maybe 1in or so gone with a few minutes with lacing all the down nice malty body fresh taste like the smell of mountain laurel deep in the pisgah mountains has a nice hop aroma from the dry hopping. All around a good session beer you can drink all day or night and its organic

4.41/5  rDev +16.7%

Picked this baby up on a recent trip. Heard about it here on the forums and thought, why not.

1/2 growler between my co-homebrew father-in-law and myself. As I was picking up some other locals at the EarthFare, the cashier mentioned this beer to me. When I asked what it was like, all he could say is that it tasted like "melted angels". I knew I had to have some.

A rather deep yellow, near orange, but with a nice appearance, very reminiscent of a sunny afternoon. The white head is minuscule, and with a heavy pour it is hard to even get a solid 2 fingers. Regardless, there is a solid film that forms, with a substantial lacing that lingers throughout both pours.

The nose is rather complex, given that I am getting earthy malt, yet citrus and floral hops, all in one. With a nice malt backbone, bringing the more earthy tones it is rather nice and inviting, without being overly bitter.

Unlike most other Pale Ales, the hops are not in the forefront, but rather at the end. Starts with a nice almost caramel sweet malt base. The citrus notes are played against a floral hop base, giving a nice crisp finish. If it was fresher, as there was no date, I could only assume the hops would better served from the brewery.

So dang drinkable. This could be my new water, because the smooth nature to it is addictive. Mouthfeel is rather syrupy, but enjoyable.

Melted angel's? Near, as this could be one of the more enjoyable drinking beers to date. Damn fine beer

4.45/5  rDev +17.7%

A- Golden in color, thin head

S- There are some hints of citrus, tickles your nose a little bit

T- Fantastic American styled ale, nice full body and goes down smooth, a beer snobs wet dream basically, tastes so good you'll want a few but be careful! i had two and i was buzzing pretty good.

M- You can tell its an ale that's for sure, different than most beers because it's organic

overall, give this brewery some love, try out green man as well

4.5/5  rDev +19%

A tasty, deeply-satisfying dry brew which I had the pleasure of trying - on tap - at at the lovely bar at the Asheville Airport!! I'd like to quote atsprings who said: " This is one I will surely seek out whenever I'm in the Asheville area!" Distribution to the Mid-Atl States would sure be appreciated!

4.5/5  rDev +19%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

Pouring from a growler into my pint glass it has a short head that leaves slight lacing above the beautiful hazy amber beer. Big smell of flowering hops, fruits, and malt. Taste is almost perfectly balanced. Subtle sweet fruitiness, full lingering hop bitterness, with great tones of fresh grains. Nice mouthfeel with a slight bite from the carbonation. This is one of my favorite regular session beers, worth the trip to Black Mountain every week.

4.57/5  rDev +20.9%

On tap at Mellow Mushroom this past weeked..Poured a nice copper amber with a thick head which faded a bit quickly and some very nice lace throughout. Smell was richly hopped. Predominant orange smell with a bit of pine, but citrus all the way. Taste was grand. Very smooth, and little carbonation. But a wonderful piney hop, with a dry finish. Only thing that could have improved was it felt a bit thin, but this was a very nice brew and would buy it anytime.

4.67/5  rDev +23.5%

A hard pour from the growler produces a nice frothy one-finger head that slowly diminishes and leaves very spotty lacing on the glass. Aroma is earthy citrus hops and sweet biscuity malts, quite fragrant! The taste is a wonderful balance with citrus hops just barely overpowering the sweet malt backbone, extremely tasty! The beer is light to medium bodied with low carbonation and is quite refreshing. This growler is making for a great session as I enter in other reviews from notes from earlier this week. This is one I will surely seek out whenever I'm in the Asheville area.

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
Pisgah Pale Ale from Pisgah Brewing Co.