Pisgah Pale Ale | Pisgah Brewing Co.

Pisgah Pale AlePisgah Pale Ale

Pisgah Brewing Co.
North Carolina, United States
pisgahbrewing.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Formerly known as Pisgah American Style Pale Ale.

Pisgah Pale is a perfect blend of rich organic malts with whole-leaf Chinook and Nugget hops. A crisp, clean profile makes this, our flagship beer, distinct. 31 I.B.U.

Added by brentk56 on 08-01-2005

4.12/5  rDev +9%

3.64/5  rDev -3.7%

A 12oz can picked up at Brusin Ales with a 5.1 abv on the side of the can. It must fluctuate from batch to batch.

A - Copper and bronze with not much clarity, little head and not much lacing

A - Slighty citrus and hoppy, with some pale malt row in the background. Nice mix

T - A light west coast pale ale but not too hoppy. Perfect balance. Slight malty earthy feel, but finishes with a nice hop bite. Very tasty and drinkable

M - Light bodied and medium carbonation. Easy on the tongue for sure. Nothing bitter.

O - A very tasty Pale ale that is well balanced and easy to drink. A great 6 pack for the lake or camping etc. Well done.

3.75/5  rDev -0.8%

One of the overlooked CANtributors to The CANQuest ™ is one of my local beer people, soon (eventually) to be a “Character” in my column – Justin C. He does a good job of looking out for new and different CANs for me in his travels and this is one with which he recently returned.

From the CAN: “We All Drink Downstream”; “Respect Tradition[,]Love Beer[,]Treat Yourself ™”; “Reuse[,]Reduce[,]Recycle”; “CANs: Infinitely Recyclable”; “Support Sustainable Brewing Culture”; “Adhering to the strict philosophy of the Pisgah brewers this Pale Ale is crafted just miles downstream from America’s most precious watershed using the finest malts and whole hops packaged for your portable potable pleasure. Whether camping, canoeing, swimming, or disc golfing, enjoy the whole outdoors never leaving your favorite craft brew behind.”; “Ingredients: Water[,] Organic Malt[,]Whole Hops[,]Yeast 69% Organic Ingredients”.

The Crack! gained me access to yet another brimful CAN and I celebrated with an inverted Glug. Following the pseudo-cascade, I simply sat back and watched and waited as it settled into two-plus fingers of tawny head with great retention. The grapefruit citrus of the nose smelled like I had been spraying air freshener, if such a scent existed. Color was a slightly hazy Amber to Deep Amber (SRM = > 9, < 13). Leaning in for a whiff, I also got some pine and caramel. Wow! I have AIPAs that did not smell this good and this was labeled as an APA. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was nowhere near as intense as the nose had led me to expect or hope for. It was more towards pine, although the grapefruit made an appearance and the malts seemed to have disappeared. Finish was semi-dry with the grapefruit taste really lingering, but offset by an indistinguishable sweetness from the malt. Would I take this on any of the activities listed on the CAN? Sure, but I’d also like to taste anything else that they CAN first to see what else might be good. I CANnot see an entire cooler full of this one.

4.5/5  rDev +19%

A tasty, deeply-satisfying dry brew which I had the pleasure of trying - on tap - at at the lovely bar at the Asheville Airport!! I'd like to quote atsprings who said: " This is one I will surely seek out whenever I'm in the Asheville area!" Distribution to the Mid-Atl States would sure be appreciated!

4.5/5  rDev +19%

Pretty good. Gotta give it props for being local.

3.92/5  rDev +3.7%

A: Honey Amber and cloudy all the way, with a finger of off white yellowish creamy head. Some bubbles evident, but is so cloudy its hard to see them. Random lacing.

S: Citrus, fresh malts, a light sweetness. Feels like I’m about to drink a fresh squeezed juice. Caramel notes, light pepper note, some passion fruit.

T: Sweet and malty, hints of grapefruit engulfed in sweetness, hints of Jackfruit, light bitterness on the end. Beautiful beer that's well balanced.

M: Thick smooth body, medium light peppery carbonation.

O: Excellent beer. Drank in Asheville, NC June 17, 2014. Bought it today at Greenlife (Whole Foods). Very fresh, can’t find a date on the can but its fresh. 69% organic ingredients is labelled on the can.

4.5/5  rDev +19%

Pisgah Pale Ale from Pisgah Brewing Co.