Vortex II

Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Vortex IIVortex II
Notes: Treat yourself to the drink of choice for imperial czars & nobelmen of the old russian court. One of the darkest of pisgah beers, this stout will explore the boundaries of your pallet while subtly pounding the weaker links between your slower braincells. Enjoy w/ friends, & appropriate amounts of caution.

firstprev| 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next → last
Reviews: 151 | Ratings: 271
4.88/5  rDev +19.9%

Ahh, was finally able to get myself a bottle of the 2nd Vortex release. So thrilled to get this. Pisgah has to be my favorite localbrewery by far and they never seem to disapoint. Was able to get one of the misfit bottles with the upseide down label,LOL. Now onto the beer.

Poured a deep dark as night, engine oil black with a thick tan head that relinquished its grip on the glass only to be replaced by sticky gooey brown lace for the remainder of the session. Aroma was very pleasant, albeit I thought it would have been a bit more overpowering. Lots of chocolate and carmel tones with a hint of roasted coffee were reasily apparent, and even more so as it warmed.
First impresion on taste, was wow this was smooth. Coming at me at 11.7% if I did not know that coming in I never would have picked up on it. Lots of caramel and choclate were noticable, and the slight warming from the alcohol did manage to sneak up on me, but a hot one this was definatly not. Not the thickest feeling RIS but it really wasnt necassary as the flavor profile was big enough. Nice dry finish left me looking for more.
Overall this was excellent, and easily my second favorite offering from the boys, only outdone by Vortex 1, but thats only cause I am a hophed by hert. This is a fine brew and I can only hope the release some more as it could be the one that puts them on the map for sure!

firstprev| 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next → last
Vortex II from Pisgah Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 91 out of 100 with 271 ratings