Pisgah Valdez | Pisgah Brewing Co.

Pisgah ValdezPisgah Valdez
4.15/5
Exceptional
Pisgah ValdezPisgah Valdez

Pisgah Brewing Co.
North Carolina, United States
pisgahbrewing.com

Style: American Stout

This robust Coffee Stout is a mouthful of flavor! A dark, roasty grain bill stands as the backdrop for a galaxy of coffee aroma and flavor, made possible by local organic bean roasters Dynamite Roastery. A Pisgah fan favorite, Valdez is brewed bi-annually and never lasts as long as the flavor.

Added by MuenchenerKindl on 11-24-2007

4.87/5  rDev +17.3%

4.49/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

4.65/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Fantastic beer. Used to only come on draft or in bombers. This year they have stepped up production and began canning select beers. Thank god they chose this one!

Appearance: Black as night, minimal light head that fades to basically nothing.

Aroma: Wow! Smacks you right in the nose. Coffee, some booze dark malts, reminds you of a lighter version of Kahlua.

Taste: Bitter in the right places, but just enough sweetness to balance it out. Lots of coffee in these notes. This is damn near perfect for and maybe the standard for me anyway in regard to coffee stouts. Not to be confused with an imperial stout.

Overall: Very well made beer from Pisgah, one of my favorite breweries from NC has another winner.

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

4.04/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Pours a pitch black body, head is a tan color. Head retention is average and so is lacing.

Smell is similar to cold brewed coffee. Notes of green coffee beans, oil, and fresh roasted, charred beans are prevalent. This smells like I stepped into a roastery. Slight notes of chocolate are present, hops and alcohol aren't detected.

Taste is big on coffee, acidic and slightly bitter. Getting some green herbaceous notes also. Biscuit malts are in the mix along with charred oak. Beer ends with a hint of chocolate, alcohol and hops are light.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and well carbonated. Unfortunately head died quickly, leaving something to be desired. Beer leaves a slight astringency in the aftertaste.

Overall this was a very tasty coffee stout. In your face coffee flavors, no chocolate, caramel, vanilla/bourbon to mask it. A bit on the bitter spectrum of coffee but I can appreciate the raw flavors which is becoming rarer these days.

3.72/5  rDev -10.4%

Excited to try my first brew from these guys. I have been known to dabble in organic beers so lets check them out. Poured into a DFH stemmed goblet, my new favorite glass thanks to my awesome fiancee.

Pull out the cork and BANG! One proudly carbonated beer that makes the perfect cap of tight foam, nice black beer. Looking good so far!

Absolutely reeks of coffee dust. Some roasted grain in there somewhere too...talk about a coffee bomb. Very well made aroma.

Tons of coffee on the pallet. Low bitterness and a rather dry finish. Nutty malt characteristics, interesting that pale malt is one of the primary flavors, sort of showing up the sweet and bitter roasted malts. A very good stout but a bit of a let down from the killer aroma. A bit of a jalapeño flavor in the background that I'm digging.

Too much carbonation makes the body seem too light, and makes the beer feel "prickly" and taste like you burned your mouth earlier in the day. Perhaps over-pitched in the bottle.

Drinkability remains above average since the beer is so interesting, but is definitely a bit hampered by the dryness and over-carbonation. Certainly a fine beer though.

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

3.38/5  rDev -18.6%

A - touch of red at the edges. Creamy dark tan head that leaves some lacing.

S - chocolate syrup, like I'm a hot fudge sundae, coffee and a bitter shot in the finish.

T - cold coffee with fudge in it. Malts in the background. The bitter shot in the scent is present in the flavor as well.

M - mild coating, but a strong tingle on sides of tongue.

O - I could have one but would then opt for something without the bitter hit.

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Duckworths in Charlotte.

Beer is completely black with just a trace of a tan head. What little head was there dissipates quickly and leaves no trace behind.

The nose is of straight coffee, with just a hint of chocolate as it warms.

The taste, much like the smell, is that of coffe. There is a little more chocolate present in the taste than in the smell, but the coffee is dominant. Very robust and flavorful, you can tell that the coffee used during brewing is very good on its own. Medium bodied, slightly more carbination than I expected, but not enough to distract you from the beautiful flavors of this well brewed beer.

Very nice, the guys at Pisgah really know what they are doing...

3.81/5  rDev -8.2%

Beautiful offblack with tiny dark tan bubbles in a medium high head. Good lasting power on that head.

Smells a lot of dryer chocolates - cocoa powder.

There's more going on than just the chocolate. Light, a little hop tang, the chocolate, of course, but not as a bitter dry one. Hints of coffee.

Light in the mouth for a double. More like a coffee or chocolate porter given the alcohol and body.

Decent and light and easy enough for drinking on warmer days. Rich enough for drinking on cooler days. Not bad!

2.56/5  rDev -38.3%

Sought this out in trade and finally got it. Let it sit for a day or two and couldn't wait anymore.

So it's a very nice looking beer. Black as can be with a huge beige head that never quite dies.

Smell is of straight coffee.

Taste just like ground coffee. I imagine. Nothing more. And not a coffee I'm particularly fond of at that.

Bitter coffee. Dry as dirt. This beer actually removes moisture from your mouth. An absolute chore to drink. A pathetic 6.8% ABV. If I'm gonna work this damn hard to put down 750ml I want a kick in the ass to go with it. No such kick here. The more I drank, the more I came to hate this beer and wish it would die. Maybe not that bad, but I am severely disappointed.

I clicked on the link describing the style to see what else was 'similar.' Wake-n-bake and Founders Breakfast showed up, which are both completely lovable beers. I just don't get this one. How can it be so highly acclaimed? I'm busting my ass here to finish it. My wife even dumped her customary 4oz taster back into my glass. I think the worst thing is the dry coffee flavor leaving a dry coffee mouthfeel that can't be alleviated with another dry ass sip.

Overall: overhyped

3.73/5  rDev -10.1%

Another gem from MasterSki, sampled at the CE release. Hey, my GTOM taster is filled again... let's drink!

Pours a blackish tone with some brownish, ruby highlights. We have a solid tan head here.

Even though this is a 2008 bottle, I'm still getting tons of coffee in the nose. Very aromatic. Roasty, chocolatey goodness.

Same notes on the tongue, with some oatmeal perhaps, but this is really thin. Not a prototypical RIS by any stretch. The coffee is faded a bit, and we agree we'd like to try this one fresh for a proper rating in the future. Doesn't seem too complex. Straightforward coffee stout. Almost over-carbonated. I liked it a bit more at the beginning, but got bored with it at the end.

My second Pisgah beer, and while still quality, I'm not really keen on going out of my way for a third.

3.92/5  rDev -5.5%

4.57/5  rDev +10.1%

4.51/5  rDev +8.7%

Extremely interesting brew. Had on tap at Barley's Pizzeria in Asheville - pint glass serving.

The pour is near-black with a 2-finger thick brown head. The bubbles in this head are huge, which to me isn't preferable - I prefer a creamier or finer looking head. Minimal lacing. As you near the end of your glass, you can catch some brown almost garnett hues around the edges.

The nose is pure joy - HUGE coffee presence. In fact, that's almost all you can get. Perhaps there's some chocolate notes there, but this coffee aroma is powerful. Fortunately, the taste follows up the aroma to perfection - again, massive coffee notes in the taste. Unlike some other coffee-dominated beers, Valdez avoids being overly roasted or bitter. It's extremely tasty with a nice sweetness.

The mouthfeel, however, is a bit of a disappointment. It's smooth and appropriately carbonated, but much too thin. When a beer is this dark, with a taste and aroma this dominant, I want a thick body to follow up that intensity. Valdez doesn't provide that.

All in all, this is an extremely tasty brew. Although I'm disappointed by the thin body, it does make it probable that you could enjoy a number of these in one sitting. One of my favorite coffee beers to date.

4.63/5  rDev +11.6%

Pours out shiny pitch black with an absolutely huge light brown head with loose clingy bubbles. The head sticks around and leaves some good lacing. Really a beauty. I couldn't ask for anything more. The smell is filled with coffee and carbonation initially. Once the head dies back, there's a distinct sweetness, caramelly like cola. There's a lot of nice smells for a big stout. The taste is great. The coffee is somewhat subdued, but just a perfect compliment to the beer. There's a good backbone of chocolate sweetness with some cola notes. The roasted character really shines through, with coffee and roast barley, with a tiny bit of the slickness that black patent lends. I was really surprised at how much fullness there is without any oatmeal in the base. There's plenty of body and the coffee makes it pleasant, with a good carbonation level. Could be more chewy, but I can really appreciate this one. God, I drained every sip with zeal. I mean, this should be the beer that everyone shoots for when they throw coffee in. Oatmeal might make it a masterpiece, though I really love it as is. I wish I had more, and I wish everyone could try it. I feel privileged to have been in Asheville when this one was coming out.

4.11/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Pisgah Valdez from Pisgah Brewing Co.