Pisgah Abbey Ale | Pisgah Brewing Co.

Liked This Beer

Liked:
3.89/5
Alströms:

3.41/5  rDev -12.3%

"Belgian Pale," which I think/hope is the same beer as the Abbey Ale, though someone please correct me if I'm mistaken (I see this one has been reviewed recently).

Appearance: Arrives a bright yellow-orange gold body, capped by slightly more than one finger of off white head with surprisingly good retention and subsequent good stick. There's not much carbonation in this one, making it look a little lifeless, but it makes up for this with a good number of swaths of lacing.

Aroma: Mostly sweet honey, characterized and complimented by faint clove and pepper. However, even with significant agitation, this one's largely - in my opinion - neutral and devoid of character.

Taste: Very spicy, largely dry, not quite quenching. Lots of earthy malt notes, some green, peppery spices, and a lot of fruity notes, high and estery, with light bananas peeking through. Spices and woody, herbal notes (mint?) dominate, really, complimented by a moderate bitterness. The spiciness tastes almost like noble hops, hm.

Mouthfeel: Big carbonation, despite the appearance of this one, resulting in a big, fluffy, but uneven mouth.

Drinkability: I was moderately impressed by this one, but I think it could have been a lot better. Some of Pisgah's bigger, bolder Belgian offerings are truly phenomenal - Cosmos and Baptista come to mind - and this one just seemed a little unbalanced. It's a very complex beer, but just wasn't complex in a way I overly enjoyed. It's nonetheless reasonably drinkable and enjoyable though, and I'd recommend anyone try it.

4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

On-tap at the brewery.

Pours a clear golden orange color with a one-finger light tan head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of ripe pears and apricots with large amounts of Belgian candi sugar.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Sugar coated pear flavors pop against a robust sweet malt background. The ending leaves pear and light green apple flavors lingering on the palate.

Mouthfeel is good. It has a decent thickness with active carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I had no problem finishing my glass and could very easily have another.

Overall this is a very solid American BSPA that I could have again and one that I recommend.

4.15/5  rDev +6.7%

Enjoyed this one on tap tonight on Pisgah. Several new beers for me tonight and this one was one of the first. Poured from the taps and served in a taster glass, this one was consumed on 04/21/2009.

A very nice pour with a light golden color and a good bit of cloudiness and haze to it. Nice big head of white comes up and over the top and settles down into a smooth and even crown that coats the sides of the glass rather nicely. Light aroma of spices, hints of apricots and touches of light peach and grain were all over this one. Really quite nicely done. The smooth, even flavor was light and clean. Nice touches of light peppery spice, hints of grain, light bready notes and a smooth, dry and spiced out finish. Easy to drink as it was well under its 7% bill, this could be a nice intro to belgian ales.

Overall very solid and a beer that was a welcome addition to the lineup. Something that was in between light and strong, I could easily see myself hitting up this one again.

Pisgah Abbey Ale from Pisgah Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 0 out of 100 with 3 ratings