Birra Moretti La Rossa | Birra Moretti (Heineken)

good

Formerly Moretti La Rossa Birra Doppio Malto

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-24-2001

Reviews: 450 | Ratings: 945
1.76/5  rDev -52%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Red and translucent beer with a quickly vanishing head, no lacing left behind on the glass. Aroma is cold steel, alcohol, and cough syrup. Very sweet and fruity, sickly sweet even. Lots of banana, like a wheat beer. Thick & syrupy in the mouth, too much for me: buttery, even. Finish is lots of sweetness, too-much-alcohol-burn, and a weird metallic taste.

1.9/5  rDev -48.2%

Had high hopes for this one, but it was undrinkable. Filtered clear body. Small, quickly diminishing foam. Aroma had hardly any character. Maybe a touch of roast. Flavor has sweet fruit notes and some caramel-like malt character. No flaws. Probably not deserving of such a low score, but I didn't like any of its attributes and I didn't enjoy the beer at all.

2.28/5  rDev -37.9%

This beer was very thin for my taste. The thinness allowed a lot of the grain no show through, which took away from the overall balance of the beer. For a Doppelbock I was expecting something a little more. I would turn it down if given to me, but I won't be buying a six pack anytime soon.

2.4/5  rDev -34.6%

My fiancé and I are going to Germany for Oktoberfest in September followed by a trip to Italy for our honeymoon. My fiancé picked up some German and Italian beers from Halftime in Poughkeepsie for us to try in anticipation of our trip. We only had one bottle so we poured into 2 small snifters so we could both sample

Appearance: ruby red when held to a light. Brown in standard room lighting. Im used to seeing dopplebocks much darker so this was an interesting twist to what i was used to. Head was moderate in the snifter but dissipated with about 15 seconds.

Smell: I got ZERO aroma out of this.

Taste: roasted malt dominated the taste for me. Unfortunately I'd call it more burnt than roasted. Moderate sweetness with a nice subtle hit of dark fruits (cherry/raisin). Some very faint caramel/toffee notes as well. Taste would be much better if it finished as it started. The subtle fruits turn stale in the finish making it less drinkable.

Mouthfeel: light for the style in my opinion. I would have liked it to have a little more body.

Overall this beer was drinkable but I'll be looking for some better prospects before we head to Italy.

2.48/5  rDev -32.4%

A - Nice caramel color. About 1 finger of head when poured, sticks around for a min or so.

S - Not so good. Smells like a bathroom a little, but not overwhelmingly, just enough to not smell good. Other then that, some malt scent.

T - First thing that hits me is a small amount of bitterness, followed up by some malt.

M - Pretty good actually.

D - I won't drink this again, but it's not awful.

2.5/5  rDev -31.9%

This review may be suspect, because the beer tastes "skunky" to me.

Purchased at Total Wines in Delaware. 330ml bottle poured into standard beer glass.
Color is burgundy/brown - not too dark. Very foamy head that doesn't last long.
Smell is a tiny bit skunky - and beyond that, not much aroma.
Taste is just... "off." Is that a hint of a sherry taste, or is it the skunkiness? I'm not sure. Whatever it is, it's not awful, just not very appealing.
Mouthfeel is slightly watery. Carbonation is mild.

Probably would not get this again, even if I could find a bottle with a recent brew date.

2.56/5  rDev -30.2%

I was not particularly taken with this beer. Nice fruity front, but then it kicked into a candy-caramel malt sweetness that dominated any other flavors. For such a malty beer, it seemed a little thin. Nothwithstanding the big alcohol content, it seemed less like a bock and more like an Irish red.

2.56/5  rDev -30.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Reddish as it can be with a thin head with short retention but leaving some laces.
Sweet aroma with predominant notes of corn and grapes.
Flavor with notes of corn, caramels, toasted malts, some herbal hops, maybe cinnamon and red fruits, but not much than that.
Medium dry aftertaste with a low bitterness.
Medium body with appropriate carbonation. Alcohol of 7.2% is definitely at home, but it stays quietly at his room.
The apparent content of adjunct and sweetness level did bother me a bit. I would pass it next time.

2.62/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear reddish brown color with a small off white head, which fades quickly, and leaves spotty lacing. the aroma has caramel, roasted malt, and a little dark fruit. Nothing special.

The taste has roasted malt, caramel, maybe some dark fruit. Tastes too sweet to me, and is a bit off putting. There are definitely better tasting Doppelbocks than this.

Light bodied for the style with modest carbonation. Has an overly sweet aftertaste. I like a good Doppelbock, but this one is far from good. Will avoid in the future.

2.63/5  rDev -28.3%

Poured a dark amber with light tan two finger head that quickly dissapated to thin lacing. Malty aromas with hints grains. Malty sweet on the palatte with a dry finish. Medium bodied with desent enough carbonation. Wasn't really what I had hoped for.

2.65/5  rDev -27.8%

Inch of fine tan head on a dark brick red body. Thick lace.

highly aromatic, but of red wine and malt.

Whole grain dark bread vinously sweet and big malt flavor.

Smooth long after taste.

This beer lasted 45 minutes before I finished just half of it, and wond up tossing the rest.

2.68/5  rDev -27%

This beer poured out as a decent brown color with a tan colored head on it. The smell was a little malty but mostly had the larger funk aroma going on. The taste of the beer wasn't sweet enough in my opinion, the malts were lacking here. The mouthfeel was decent, giving off a little bit of a fuller body. Overall it's not the best Doppelbock out there and I feel that some of the character it should have is missing. I'll leave this one on the shelves.

2.68/5  rDev -27%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Ahh, my first Italian beer. The beer pours a deep scarlet red and throws out a medium off-white head with good retention and nice lacing ability. The aroma is unique for a dopple. There's the malt present, but also an aroma induced by herb and/or spice which seems a little out of place. I can't nail it down though. (guesses are ginger, anise, cumin) The taste of this beer is nothing to shout about. There's that weird herb/spice taste showing up again. And underneath, there is some maltiness perceived. A pretty decent warming effect from this one as I feel a bit of a fire after I drink. Not a good (or average for that matter) dopplebock. May take a while to finish this one.

Thanks go out to ZAP for nailing down this highly sought after brew for me.

2.7/5  rDev -26.4%

Originally reviewed on March 3, 2005. 12 Oz Bottle. Pours amber brown clear, with a light creamy head of tan. Dusty wheat aroma. Hint of caramel. Flavor is bland, incredibly watery sugar and chalkboard malt flavor. A hint of toast finishes this heer, with a few notes of corn nuts. Palate is very watery, but not refreshing, instead sickly, and a touch sticky. This is horrible for a Bock.

2.7/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours dark amber, middlebrown with a thick tan head.

Fresh note, smell is slightly tangy.

Mouthfeel: very prickly, but not just carbonation. The alcohol hits you right from the first sip.

Taste is hoppy with strong alcoholic flavour. Bitter aftertaste is lingering.

The alcohol taste is covering everything else. Is this beer creamy? I don't know, if it is, creaminess is covered by alcohol.

This beer has only 7.2% Vol., but the alcohol is very pronounced and overlaying anything else that might have been there as well.

2.79/5  rDev -24%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

a: Not very dopplebock looking, medium lager look hints of carmel

s: hints of hops and somehting sweet.

t: Not really what I expected from dopplebock. It was a little sweet but not great.

m: it was very thin and had a bit of a hop like aftertaste

o: I cant believe this was dobblebock? It was closers to a traditional bock with a higher alcohol content. Many great German versions of doppels are easily available, try one of them over this one.

2.8/5  rDev -23.7%

Purchased at Brio Tuscan Grille at Stony Point shopping center in Richmond, VA - Chilled pint glass.. ..

Pours a mild brown color with absolutely no head whatsoever. Probably a result of the chilled glass messing with retention. Smells a little adjuncty, but there is some malty sweetness. Tastes kind of corny but the big malt bomb is cool.

Overall this beer wasn't that good. And If i'm going to have a doppel it's going to be Troegenator.

2.83/5  rDev -22.9%

I had this from a bottle at a fancy Italian restaurant.

The beer pours a very bright red, almost unnaturally so (like a framboise). It was poured in a footed pilsner glass, and even poured into the narrow bottom of the glass by the bartender, I didn't get much head on it.

The smell is definitely bock...very little hop, a ton of (mostly caramel smelling) malt.

Taste is OK....a bit too sweet for my taste, but I felt it was consistent with the style. A very sweet malty taste...think something like Hawaiian sweetbread or malted milkballs.

Mouthfeel was thin and watery and very mainstream lager-feeling.

Drinkability-wise, I didn't really want another.

If you're into dopple bocks/dunkels, give it a shot. Worth a try, but I won't be running out to purchase a six-pack of it anytime soon.

2.83/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured a reddish brown color with a light tan half finger head, that quickly dissipated. smell is malty, alcoholy, maybe even a bit of a bread aroma in there, a but nutty also. Taste - getting that nutty taste again, then getting the alcohol. Little TOO strong on the alcohol flavor in this one for my liking. Mouthfeel seems pretty thin for the style.

Overall this is just an okay dopplebock. doesnt hold a candle to Celebrator. and actually probably my least favorite dopplebock to date.

2.86/5  rDev -22.1%

My first forray into Birra Italiano. Looks good, Nut brown color, big off-white head. Doesn't smell like much, maybe a little euro-grass maltiness. I can sense a euro lager hiding just under the surface of this beer. I taste the grassy malts, only they are mixed with a toasted carmel sweetness. Alcohol also makes it's presence felt. Not much to this beer, but not offensive. Mediocre.

2.86/5  rDev -22.1%

Pours a dark red, topped with a two finger off-white head, leaves thin webs of lacing.
Strong banana, sweet aroma, light tobacco/wood note.
Very malty taste, red fruits, earthy, caramel, darkly roasted bread, minerals and herbs.
Medium bodied, it wore on me quickly, I couldn't finish a second bottle.

2.88/5  rDev -21.5%

A. Pours a reddish brown color with some decent retention, sparse lacing and moderate carbonation.
S. Has a nutty, sweet bready aroma.
T. The taste is a nutty taste followed by some sweet sugary taste with some caramel and a little bit of a biscuit taste to finish it. The aftertaste is a sweet syrupy taste.
m. The mouthfeel is a soft sticky feel that leaves a little stickiness on the lips.
D. It is a an easy drinking beer, but feels lighter than most doppelbock's, not exactly a "meal in a bottle". This is not something I'll drink again.

2.94/5  rDev -19.9%

Moderate malt presents in the aroma. Big hit right off the bat. Toast, caramel, raisin, and cherry are there, but had to search. Brown with some red highlights. Fair head. Flavor was lacking also. It was there, but restrained. Very lively, medium bodied. Alcohol was not hard to find. Over all a good beer, but not a good example of the dopplebock.

2.94/5  rDev -19.9%

I had this at a fancy Italian restaurant. It pours a brilliant red with a modest off white head. The Aroma is very malty and sweet, with some peppery alcohol evident. The taste starts off big and malty, with bread and toffee notes. Alchohol quickly becomes evident, as does a cloying sweetness. The finish is thin sweet and highly alcoholic. The mouthfeel is thin and moderately carbonated. This is not a very good beer. It needs more malt depth and less abrasive alcohol.

2.96/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Hey, an Italian that doesn't taste like Budweiser!

Beautiful brown color, the taste is pure roasted malt on the front end and the finish is hoppy and almost a little sour. Not exactly in my sweet spot, but still the best Italian I've ever had.

Birra Moretti La Rossa from Birra Moretti (Heineken)