Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Birra Moretti La Rossa | Birra Moretti (Heineken)

Birra Moretti La RossaBirra Moretti La Rossa

Formerly Moretti La Rossa Birra Doppio Malto

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-24-2001

Ratings: 1,001 |  Reviews: 463

1.5/5  rDev -58.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This is probably the best one I had by these makers, still has that Heineken taste but is covered a little by the extra hops, if you're going to get anything by these guys get this red.

1.75/5  rDev -51.8%

1.75/5  rDev -51.8%

1.76/5  rDev -51.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Red and translucent beer with a quickly vanishing head, no lacing left behind on the glass. Aroma is cold steel, alcohol, and cough syrup. Very sweet and fruity, sickly sweet even. Lots of banana, like a wheat beer. Thick & syrupy in the mouth, too much for me: buttery, even. Finish is lots of sweetness, too-much-alcohol-burn, and a weird metallic taste.

1.9/5  rDev -47.7%

Had high hopes for this one, but it was undrinkable. Filtered clear body. Small, quickly diminishing foam. Aroma had hardly any character. Maybe a touch of roast. Flavor has sweet fruit notes and some caramel-like malt character. No flaws. Probably not deserving of such a low score, but I didn't like any of its attributes and I didn't enjoy the beer at all.

2.09/5  rDev -42.4%

Just too sticky and doughy (malty), for me, a bit thivk and cloying in the end, just didn'y appeal to my tastes in the end.

2.28/5  rDev -37.2%

This beer was very thin for my taste. The thinness allowed a lot of the grain no show through, which took away from the overall balance of the beer. For a Doppelbock I was expecting something a little more. I would turn it down if given to me, but I won't be buying a six pack anytime soon.

2.4/5  rDev -33.9%

My fiancé and I are going to Germany for Oktoberfest in September followed by a trip to Italy for our honeymoon. My fiancé picked up some German and Italian beers from Halftime in Poughkeepsie for us to try in anticipation of our trip. We only had one bottle so we poured into 2 small snifters so we could both sample

Appearance: ruby red when held to a light. Brown in standard room lighting. Im used to seeing dopplebocks much darker so this was an interesting twist to what i was used to. Head was moderate in the snifter but dissipated with about 15 seconds.

Smell: I got ZERO aroma out of this.

Taste: roasted malt dominated the taste for me. Unfortunately I'd call it more burnt than roasted. Moderate sweetness with a nice subtle hit of dark fruits (cherry/raisin). Some very faint caramel/toffee notes as well. Taste would be much better if it finished as it started. The subtle fruits turn stale in the finish making it less drinkable.

Mouthfeel: light for the style in my opinion. I would have liked it to have a little more body.

Overall this beer was drinkable but I'll be looking for some better prospects before we head to Italy.

2.48/5  rDev -31.7%

A - Nice caramel color. About 1 finger of head when poured, sticks around for a min or so.

S - Not so good. Smells like a bathroom a little, but not overwhelmingly, just enough to not smell good. Other then that, some malt scent.

T - First thing that hits me is a small amount of bitterness, followed up by some malt.

M - Pretty good actually.

D - I won't drink this again, but it's not awful.

2.5/5  rDev -31.1%

This review may be suspect, because the beer tastes "skunky" to me.

Purchased at Total Wines in Delaware. 330ml bottle poured into standard beer glass.
Color is burgundy/brown - not too dark. Very foamy head that doesn't last long.
Smell is a tiny bit skunky - and beyond that, not much aroma.
Taste is just... "off." Is that a hint of a sherry taste, or is it the skunkiness? I'm not sure. Whatever it is, it's not awful, just not very appealing.
Mouthfeel is slightly watery. Carbonation is mild.

Probably would not get this again, even if I could find a bottle with a recent brew date.

2.5/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.5/5  rDev -31.1%

Birra Moretti La Rossa from Birra Moretti (Heineken)
Beer rating: 3.63 out of 5 with 1,001 ratings