Bourbon Aged Sodbuster | Olde Main Brewing Co. & Restaurant

Olde Main Brewing Co. & Restaurant
Iowa, United States
oldemainbrewing.com

Style: American Stout

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Take 150 gallons of the Sodbuster Stout and let the good distillers of the southeast add their subtle nuances during barrel aging. The Sodbuster has been aged a year in a used bourbon American white oak cask. The aging adds subtle wood, vanilla, and bourbon flavors that blend well with the roast flavors found in our stout. Sip and enjoy!

Added by HappyBivouac on 12-31-2008

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 3
Reviews by HappyBivouac:
2.2/5  rDev -30.4%

notes from 12-19-08

I saw this written on a little chalkboard they had by the bar as thier current "special" beer.

Comes an opaque blackish brown color with minimal or no head & lacing. Smells of burnt coffee and chocolate with a little sweetness. The taste is really really burnt and smoky. Does not leave me feeling good at all. A medium-light watery body that is boring and unsatisfying. I have no reason to ever order another one of these. They called it a Bourbon Stout and I wanted to see what they had come up with. I'll stick with something like Off-Kilter next time I'm at olde main.

This also left me feeling absolutely terrible. Not something I would reccommend trying.

4.19/5  rDev +32.6%

A Specialty Beer, the current seasonal goes pretty quickly:

A: A deep black color with a head that had dissipated by the time the pint arrived on my coaster.

S: The best part of the Stout it smells of chocolate with a bit of a woody smell as if you could smell the bourbon barrel. The smell it a bit more complex than their To Be Named Later Stout which is now know as Sodbuster Stout.

T: More neutral than their normal stout but there are hints of coffee chocolate and due to the aging process the bourbon barrel.

M&D: Not much carbonation. More neutral than the Sodbuster, but definitely worth the $4.25.

Overall: This is a good beer and I am glad they sacrifice the storage space to age these stouts. The stout really takes on the taste of the bourbon barrel and really intermingles with the chocolate taste of the stout. This cost me about $4.25 which is $0.25 more than a refill of the their Sodbuster Stout in a growler, I personally would prefer the growler over a pint of the Bourbon Stout, but it is definitely worth a try.

Bourbon Aged Sodbuster from Olde Main Brewing Co. & Restaurant