Innis And Gunn Original Oak Aged Beer | Innis & Gunn

good
Read the review
Innis And Gunn Original Oak Aged BeerInnis And Gunn Original Oak Aged Beer

Innis & Gunn
Scotland, United Kingdom
innisandgunn.com

Style: Scottish Ale

Added by UncleJimbo on 09-15-2003

Reviews: 561 | Ratings: 1,737
3.79/5  rDev +1.1%

A- Looks like a Bud Light when poured into a glass. Sticks to the glass a little bit but only after swirling it around. Has a white foamy head.

S- Smells just like a skunk at first! But after swirling the glass around for a while a nice sweet honey scent comes threw.

T- Has a wonderful sweet taste! A lot of different flavors such as honey, vanilla and sugar! With all the flavors combined it almost gives it a green tea taste.

M- The mouthfeel is good ...Not to thick.. Not to thin...Just right!

D- Drinkability is good. Goes down nice and easy, maybe a little too easy... haha.I can definitely see myself going out and picking up another bottle to share with a couple of friends.

cheers,
Tom and Analise

3.41/5  rDev -9.1%

Poured out of a clear bottle into a pint glass

A - The best part about this beer. Poured a beautiful copper colour, really one of the best I've encountered. Poured fairly aggressively, but even so there was little head and didn't stick around at all, though the lacing was fairly nice.

S - Confused me to say the least. Heavy toffee smell that threw me off a bit while I was tasting it. Toffee covered any other aroma that there may be.

T - Again confusing. I expected a bit bolder of a flavour, but the over-dominant taste was peaty and smokey. Made me think I was drinking a weak scotch, which while not necessarily a bad thing, threw me off. Very faint hint of vanilla, but my problem is that it all seems too out of balance.

M - Pretty pleasant. The carbonation was key here, it was a great level of carbonation that was just right. Was smooth with a pleasant after-taste

Overall - I just don't know about this one. Really, as I think about it, it wasn't a bad beer, nor was it good. While I wasn't impressed with the taste this time around, I would definitely give it another try sometime.

3.94/5  rDev +5.1%

Pours a copper amber with a slight head and minimal lacing...not that exciting but looks like a proper british pint.

Smell is really the downfall of this beer...WTF were they thinking putting a beer like this in a clear bottle??? light leaking leads to the obvious skunky, corona smell that dissipates a little after a couple minutes, smells like a cheap, crappy lager.

Taste is good, very pleasant with vanilla oak character, along with some smooth hazlenuts and, as the bottle says toffee. Its sweet but not heavy, great light dessert beer.

mouthfeel is thick and rich but not sticky.

Very drinkable, unique in the style as it does the light toffee/vanilla thing well. I would love to have a word with the head brewer and tell him he's a dumb ass for ruining the nose of a beer this good by putting it in clear glass!!!!

4.1/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a clear bottle into a pint glass. Fortunately, the bottle wasn't skunked--I only purchased bottles from the back of the shelf. A nice foamy head rises, then quickly fades. The aroma is hints of toffee and vanilla, and scotch. The taste is unique. Malts up front, then a strong buttery note from the wood aging. Then you're hit with some alcohol.

Altogether a decent, but not mind-blowing brew. If you like oak aged beers, this one is a very good choice. However, its pricey, and in an invisible bottle.

3.53/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

pours a light gold with a thin head that fades quickly but leaves lots of lace. Light co2 streamers.

Smells of tart malt, herbal hops, honey, and some vanilla oak. Smell balance changes with the temperature - the honey and oak are more prominent when this is cold.

Taste is an interesting blend of sweet malts, some sort of orange citrus character, sweet vanilla oak, finishing with a slightly bitter peat, but no smoke. It's interesting, but not all good - it's not a chord of flavours, all balanced in harmony but a more unorganized noise of players, not all playing the same tune. Mostly, I think, is it's got too much hop character to let the oak and whisky shine through. Still, none of the flavours are BAD, and the overall impression IS interesting.

Mouthfeel is pleasant. Enough carbonation, but not too much. It doesn't quite become cloying, despite all the sweetness and other flavours.

Drinkability is pretty decent, actually. Tone down the alcohol a touch, and attenuate some of the strength of the flavours and this would make for a decent session beer.

2.14/5  rDev -42.9%

Poured a clear bronze color with a creamy and thick head; some lacing down the glass. Smelled obviously very oaky and malty. Tasted to me like sweet scotch whiskey, not like beer. I had to struggle to keep drinikng it. Drinkability for me was bad, as the taste turns me off.
Not only did I drain pour half of my glass, but did the same with the remainder of the bottle. This flavor is just not me in any way.

4.55/5  rDev +21.3%

I've had a few bottles of this stretched over the last year or so, and each is always just a shade different.

What a beautiful colour on this beer, which you can see right in the clear bottle. When poured, it forms a head a bit creamier than you might expect, and it sticks around for a couple of minutes. Even when most of it dissipates, a thin amount of head remains.

This is one of the few bottled/canned beers (out of the 150 or so I've tried) whose aroma has something different/special to offer. It's lighter than the flavour... a bit sharper. You can already smell the vanilla/toffee components.

I love the taste of this beer. Depending on the bottle (or perhaps other factors) it sometimes has a scotch-like aftertaste. There's a definite woodiness, combined with vanilla, toffee. While all those flavours help to explain it, the total package really is something special and unique.

The mouthfeel is good, but it isn't exceptional. Everything about the feel is good... nothing bad... nothing overly awesome, though, either.

This is one of my favourite beers (if not my most favourite). I love the look, smell, taste, the complexity, and the uniqueness of it. Out of all the different beers I've had, this is one of the very few I re-purchase when I go "International Beer Shopping" on the mainland.

4.09/5  rDev +9.1%

Off the bat, this beer was the first time I considered allowing price to affect my drinkability rating.. I have opted not to really take it into account, though. The pour barely needs to be rated since its a clear bottle and you can see it clear. There is a decent head but it fades. The smell and flavor are whats really important here.. very, very strong vanilla.. its like cream soda, really. caramel, cream soda, and a complexity from the oak are all present. The smell is sweeter than the flavor, though, which doesn't get to the point of, say, a similar beer at a higher ABV (for better or for worse). The mouthfeel and drink are both good, nothing crazy to write home about but its got a full-body and it isn't too heavy at all, drinking quite easily.

3.6/5  rDev -4%

A: This beer pours pale amber, with a large thick off white head, very compact. Leaves some lacings.

S: Butter! Then there is malt and some bitter hops, hard fruit candy and oak. And of course some whisky.

T: Sweetness from both malt and (my guess) the oakbarrels. Some vanilla and some bitter hops. Here are also whisky notes.

M: Fullbodied, but somewhat oily. The aftertaste is sweet and even holds some fruity notes.

D: I'm having problems with this one. I like whisky and i love beer, but mixed togheter like this - it's an opposite to synergism. Beer and whisky togheter should be the greatest thing ever, but I just can't rate the drinkability higher...

3.99/5  rDev +6.4%

The magic in this beer is the appearance and TASTE...

This beer is the best beer I have tried so far, and I've tried about 50 kinds. The cashier at the liqour store told me about this kind of beer and that it truly is a cut above most beers - but not because it simply tastes better. It is because it is a completely different class of beer. The whiskey's natural oils present in those oak casks definitely add flavor dimensions that have made me even reconsider the way I do beer tasting from now on. It has simply set the highest standards possible and although a very expensive beer, it is a fantastic example of a truly "great" one. The nose is strong and promises what it preaches: vanilla, caramel, whisky-tinged oak cask taste, with a hint of citrus in the undertones of the beer. Taste up-front is harsh and the drinkability is not the best ever, however it gets much more impressive the more you drink it (literally with each sip) and you become more accustomed to the wide palatte of flavors before you. This beer IS finally, truly one to write home about.

3.92/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours clear pale amber with off-white head that fades to thin layer and leaves slight patchy lacing. Aroma is strong and sweet malt, vanilla and oak.

Taste is slight less enjoyable than smell, it is bittery smoked whisky-like wood, sweet vanilla with dry finish and mild alcohol citrus aftertaste. Mouthfeel is thin with moderate carbonation.

Overall, not bad, it is slightly different from other beers and I always enjoy it.

3.11/5  rDev -17.1%

330ml bottle into a straight glass. I've had this before, and I still find the toffee sweetness and vanilla whisky overdone. It looks lovely, smells quite nice, but a bit sickly. It has a pleasant mouthfeel and aftertaste. I guess the Scots (and I'm 3/8 jock myself) like their beer sweet, as they are well known for their sweet tooth. I love sweets and cakes, but I'm not a fan of sweet beer.

3.68/5  rDev -1.9%

The colour is a beautiful chestnunt with creamy thick white head

Smell is of sweet malts, whiskey, faint grassy hops

The taste is much the same but more intense sweet at first then the whiskey kicks in and last some refreshing bitterness

Mouthfeel is superb smooth but carbonated

A very refreshing beer with great tatste and therefore drinkable

4.22/5  rDev +12.5%

Drinking a 330-ml bottle directly from the bottle.

Appearance - beautiful honey gold colour with light, sudsy head. Subtle carbonation.

Smell - heavy oak and malt aromas with some detectable hop smells as well. Very nice indeed.

Taste - I've got quite a love of this beer based on many prior tastings. Crisp and defined, a sweet-bitter taste up front followed by distinct woodiness. Finish is pretty wet and refreshing.

Mouthfeel - pretty even flavours throughout although I would not call the beer smooth. Coats the mouth and lingers memorably.

Drinkability - I really like this right from the bottle, which is very rare for me. This is pretty potent at 6.6% and it goes down easy. I keep the limit to 2 of these.

3.73/5  rDev -0.5%

I'd actually tried this long before trying their Rum Cask Edition beer, which i found very interesting.

A: A nice golden yellow with a minimal head, but it does stick around through the entire drink.

S: Malty with a sweet bit of hops, a friend had called it skunky, but i found it to be pleasent.

T: nice and sweet with a little bit of bitterness. can definately detect the vanilla and toffee, i can taste the oak at the end, but initially its the sweet vanilla taste and creamy taste.

M: thin, yet not bad, but not good either. i'm a Stout drinker by nature and this was a little light in the mouth, however, it gets better as it goes down, so it's above average for me.

D: i bought two and am on the second one looking at it whilst writing this, it's drinkable for a change of pace, much like the Rum Cask Edition from this company, it's definately not for serving the masses but rather something to enjoy from time to time.

I would recommend trying it.

3.5/5  rDev -6.7%

330ml clear as the window beside me bottle at the Keg - a decent celebratory choice for my girl's having finished yoga teachers' school classes.

This beer pours a medium crystal clear golden amber colour, with one finger of weakly puffy, wanly foamy, and mostly soapy dirty white head, which leaves a small bit of coral reef lace on the glass as it hastily recedes.

It smells of natural vanilla, boozy wood fiber, caramelized malt, a hint of watery toffee, and very tame earthy, weedy hops. The taste is more big caramel malt, vanilla cookies, equally strong oak barrel woodiness, and weirdly sexy (or just plain welcome) earthy hops.

The carbonation is really quite varied, from fizzy to outright flat-seeming, the body rather nice and round and weighty, with an attendant sugary smoothness. It finishes with a pretty sweet lingering, softly boozy whisky flourish.

A few years ago, I presented this to my dad, a UK whisk(e)y fan who doesn't really do much in the way of beer anymore, and he was impressed with the flavour intensity, but didn't think it would be good for more than a small serving. I still agree with that, as this is a tasty enough, original (at one time) brewing concept, but the flavours from the wood would indeed become cloying after a short exposure. And I suppose it helps if you're an ardent fan of oak-aged spirits in the first place.

3.92/5  rDev +4.5%

A - Nice amber color with a nice white head that faded quickly

S - Heavy smells of oak, whiskey (scotch, bourbon, whatever) and vanilla

T - The flavor of whiskey (scotch, bourbon, whatever) is very pronounced. It was away quickly however. There are hints of vanilla in the background with bits of oak.

D - Don't go fast.

2.23/5  rDev -40.5%

Poured from bottle into a pint glass.

Nice golden color with a thin head. Smells of oak, sweet vanilla, hint of coffee and alcohol.

The taste didn't appeal to me as the alcohol was to dominant and the malt taste is strong here as well. I was not impressed by the mouthfeel either, it feels metallic and it stays that way a while.

Only reason to try it again is to see if my opinion or the beer as changed.

BTW The bottle says it should be served well chilled, not how I usually drink my ales and I neither did this time.

3.47/5  rDev -7.5%

11.2oz bottle into a Boston Lager glass pours a crisp bubbly pale orange with a thin off-white head that diminishes to a thin layer and leaves slight lacing. Aroma is an intriguing blend of Earthy hops, sweet malts and oak. The taste is a more muted blend, enjoyable, but not what the aroma promised. The beer is fairly light for 6.6% with decent carbonation. This one is certainly worth trying, but I don't think I'll bother with again.

3.92/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours a dark orange with decent amount of creamy head that leaves a fair amount of lacing. Very distinguishable scent of the oak casks. Taste is smoky, with some vanilla and oak. The oak aging is very apparent. Smooth overall, with a bit of dry bitterness at the end. This was a surprise find at a local Beerfest several months ago, and I have enjoyed picking up a few bottles every so often.

3.77/5  rDev +0.5%

Coppery orange-gold, strikingly clear with a thin light tan-white head. The barrels have certainly made their imprint on this beer. Aroma is full of smooth vanilla bean and woody whiskey-esque scents, grains, caramel toast and apple cider tartness. Taste is sweet, tart and dry. The individual flavors all blend into one earthy, vanilla-caramel concoction. Prickly fine carbonation in a medium, syrupy body, with an extra dry but coating finish. Drinks down very nicely too.

Interesting and enjoyable.

3.97/5  rDev +5.9%

Bottle Says 11APR09...just in time.

Clear amber under about an inch of white foam that slips down to a bubbly sheet. Bourbon-like aromas of vanilla and wood along with toffee, malted milk balls, flowers, and fruity sweetness. The flavor is a smooth blend of honey and buttery toffee. The vanilla, whiskey-like woodiness has a deeper quality here than in the smell, but I don't feel it's overdone in anyway. Slick, medium body with a flourish of fine carbonation at the end.

Better than I expected, to be honest. Lots of pleasant whiskey characteristics. And I got it for $.99...I might go back and grab a case for that price.

4.45/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

From the 1 pt. 7.6 fl. oz clear bottle marked 16 Jan 09-8017A 12:38. Sampled on April 7, 2009.

Before I get into details I want to say up front that I really enjoyed this one. It was incredibly smooth and tasty.

The pour was an amber-orange with about a finger of beige head and excellent clarity. The lacing was well dispersed around the glass. The aroma was like a fruity wine with decent malts and hop sensations. The mouthfeel was bold and had great consistency. The taste was like a fine wine with a pleasing chaser of sweet malts and subtle hops. A slightly dry ending and very easy to drink. No aftertaste. A totally satisfying experience and probably one of the best beers I have had in a long while.

4.04/5  rDev +7.7%

A - Clear, deep honey color. The head is thin and leaves scattered lacing.

S - Brown sugar, raisins, and strong whisky notes. Very nice.

T - Nice smoky oak flavor, with a vanilla sweetness. The finish is very smooth with a bit of alcohol heat.

M - Coats the mouth with a creamy, slick coating of oaky flavor. No carbonation to speak of.

D - I was very surprised with how much I liked this one. It's a different experience than most beers, with the oak and whisky flavors. Let it warm up a bit and enjoy!

3.82/5  rDev +1.9%

Golden honey body with a fizzy head that doesn't have much retention. Oak flavors are up front but mellow. Hints of bourbon and subtle crisp lime. Finishes sweet with a toffee maltiness with a bit of butterscotch and a very subtle raw honey. very smooth - coats the tongue in a pleasing way. The main drawback is the signature clear-bottle skunkiness, though it isn't bad in the taste, affecting mainly the aroma. A bit tannic about halfway through. Nice warming sensation from the almost-high ABV.

Innis And Gunn Original Oak Aged Beer from Innis & Gunn