Innis And Gunn Original Oak Aged Beer | Innis & Gunn

good
Read the review
Innis And Gunn Original Oak Aged BeerInnis And Gunn Original Oak Aged Beer

Innis & Gunn
Scotland, United Kingdom
innisandgunn.com

Style: Scottish Ale

This is our firstborn brew, whose accidental discovery started our story in 2003. Its originality also lies in its singular taste – notes of biscuity malt and vanilla swirling within a creamy, mellow character.

A pioneering beer, its flavour finds favour with brewing juries, blind tasting panels and barflies alike.

Added by UncleJimbo on 09-15-2003

Ratings: 1,787 |  Reviews: 576

3.6/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

No age on the bottle, but I believe this bottle is from 2011.

A: Clear glass bottle. Looks like cream soda in the bottle. Beer itself is a light copper-brown in color. Forms a minimal white head. Little retention and little lacing.

S: Very aromatic. Smells strongly of oak with notes of vanilla, toffee, and green apple.

T: Apparently not only does this beer look like cream soda, but it tastes like it as well. Fairly sweet with lots of vanilla. Notes of toffee, light caramel, oak, and rum. Very quick, almost watery, finish.

M: On the thinner side of medium in body. Lower carbonation. Mild bitterness.

O: Well, you can't say this beer doesn't showcase the oak aging. Unfortunately, aside from the wood, there just isn't much there.

2.75/5  rDev -26.7%

3.38/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.5

I love the appearance it just looks like a great beer! The smell is not to my liking and smells to me like a cheaper beer of which this wasn't that inexpensive. Almost smells like PBR. The feel/ finish of the beer is my favorite part. It ends with a beautiful honey taste and leaves the tongue feeling like it was just covered in a thin layer of honey. This made this beer very appealing to me. It may not sound appealing and I would agree but it actually was a good part of this beer. taste whys I honestly cannot tell if I like this beer. It is a difficult decision. It's a bit of a heavier beer so definitely not a session beer. Again, the taste is so hard to tell, the first pat of the sip isn't the best but then it gets sweeter and turns to honey. Totally unique and different from any other beer I've had. I do like. Would I buy it again? Maybe, hard to say. maybe would get it again on a cold night where I just want to sit and rest.

3.99/5  rDev +6.4%

draft at beer study. into a snifter.

pours a dark copper with a nice head. smell is very much according to style with the nice bourbony scent. taste stays true to scent with some great oak characteristics. 100% on point to style. mild bodied, mild carbonation

overall a great representation of the style!

3.31/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: Pours a golden amber color with a quickly dissipating 1 finger head. Very little carbonation.

S: This really caught me off guard. I was expecting boozey dominance, but it is nowhere to be found. Instead, there'a oak, vanilla, caramel, toffee, and sweet pear. Super sweet.

T: Caught off guard again. Follows the nose pretty closely. Sweetest beer I think I've ever tried.

M: Medium body with slight carbonation. Slight boozey tingle.

O: This was surprising to say the least. Sweetness everywhere! This seemed really balanced and had really strong scents and flavors, but to me, this was jus too sweet. Glad I had it, but I'll probably never buy again.

Innis And Gunn Original Oak Aged Beer from Innis & Gunn