Innis And Gunn Original Oak Aged Beer | Innis & Gunn

Innis & Gunn
Scotland, United Kingdom
innisandgunn.com

Style: Scottish Ale

This is our firstborn brew, whose accidental discovery started our story in 2003. Its originality also lies in its singular taste – notes of biscuity malt and vanilla swirling within a creamy, mellow character.

A pioneering beer, its flavour finds favour with brewing juries, blind tasting panels and barflies alike.

Added by UncleJimbo on 09-15-2003

Ratings: 1,824 |  Reviews: 586
4.5/5  rDev +20.3%

2.75/5  rDev -26.5%

3.69/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

11.2 oz. clear bottle.

A: Pours cloudy light copper. Two fingers of fluffy white head. The head retention is nice
with pretty good lacing.

S: Oak. Alcohol. Caramel. Vanilla. Smells like good whiskey. Not something I'm used to from
a beer.

T/M: Oak. Vanilla. Smooth with low carbonation. Malty with really no hops detectible.
Alcohol warming feel. Caramel. The finish is sweet and oaky.

O: This Scottish Ale is quite similar to whiskey, except it is easier to drink. Tastes good, but
not really a style I am that familiar with. I probably could only have a few of these before
I went back to something hoppier. Still worth a try.

Cheers!!

3.72/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Had this poured from a bottle. This was my first barrel aged beer and I was pleasantly surprised by it.

A - looked very much as how a scotch would look, with a nice solid brown color. There was maybe 1 cm of head, even with an aggressive pour.

S - smelled extremely complex, with lots of different notes. Most prominent were vanilla and some whiskey scent. Oak finds its way through as well, kind of subtle in the beginning.

T - way different from what I've ever had before. Tasted of bits of light citrus, vanilla, and a more prominent whiskey flavor. That oak and whiskey flavor threw me off in the beginning, but I enjoyed it towards the end.

M - it was a light to moderate mouth feel. There wasn't anything crazy about how it felt, but this aspect also put the beer's taste into the spotlight.

O - As my first time trying this, I walked away with a pretty nice impression of it. Although I read a description of the beer before I ordered, the beer just destroyed any expectation I had of it, in a good way. This may not be the best beer to try for those just getting into it, but everyone should try it at least once.

3.25/5  rDev -13.1%

3.25/5  rDev -13.1%

3.84/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A Scottish classic and one of Gordon Ramsay's favorite beers, I had wondered why it took me so long to try anything from Innis & Gunn. Well, it's a big world of beer which continues to grow, which makes it difficult to "taste 'em all". Comes in a 330 ml clear decorated bottle. On to the beer:

The color of Innis & Gunn is lovely, being the color of autumn orange. It's also translucent. The head is very weak, forming initially at an inch and looking soapy before quickly fizzing away to nothing. The aroma is modest; the barrels bring flavors of vanilla bean, toffee, oak, some spicy hops, and a fume of alcohol.

Much of the beer's magic occurs in the taste. Despite its 6.6% ABV, this is a beer to savor. The flavor starts with a kiss of oak. Now comes some toffee and pleasant diacetyl. Vanilla bean note seems to intensify midway through. Bit of alcohol, marshmallow, and wood makes their appearances too. The carbonation level is on the light side, the body being medium. Mellow sweet aftertaste.

Very pleasant and mellow overall. Sometimes, you just want a mellow beer with the barrel aged characteristics, and Innis & Gunn provides that.

3.14/5  rDev -16%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a Pilsner glass.

In the somewhat dim restaurant lighting, the beer appeared to be a light amber, or polished copper. About a 1-finger head in the 14-oz glass. Very faint smell. I could faintly detect vanilla and other sweetness. Head lasted hardly a minute.

Taste was on the sweeter side, with definite vanilla character, and reminders of amaretto, perhaps. The bottle says "a hint of vanilla, toffee and oak". I think "hint" is too weak a word here. The vanilla-toffee taste was very dominant. Mild to moderate carbonation.

Overall, I found this beer interesting due to the vanilla flavour. I'm not sure I'd go out of my way to purchase this beer to bring home, but I would not be bothered if it came along for the ride as part of a variety pack.

2.65/5  rDev -29.1%

It had a nice oak flavor to it, but the problem was that this oak flavor was largely masked by a distinct toffee taste. If you are a toffee lover than this might be an amazing beer. I certainly am not one of those people. I didn't really enjoy it, and it was wasn't cheap even for craft beer. I won't be buying more.

4.75/5  rDev +27%