Rum Cask Oak Aged Beer | Innis & Gunn

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

Added by brewdlyhooked13 on 10-21-2007

Ratings: 1,369 |  Reviews: 367

3.54/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured draft into a very cold pint mug. A bubbly head dissolves quickly. Appearance is medium gold, a bit lighter than honey-colored. The aroma is subdued, maybe because of the cold mug. I bet they drink this at room temperature on Great Britian. I only detect s mild aroma of hops and malt. Flavor is balanced but also subdued, first the carbonation, then hops, malt, and buttery togfee. Brentk56's description below is better than mine, and I agree with him. Mouthfeel is medium-light after the initial carbonation. Overall this is interesting, but it does not grab my attention or my passion. I'm glad I tried it.

2.75/5  rDev -26.3%

3.5/5  rDev -6.2%

4.14/5  rDev +11%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Appearance: Pours a brilliantly clear amber, capped by a couple of inches of ecru foam; spotty lacing

Smell: The buttery toffee and nut notes are complemented by the rum tones, bringing vanilla and coconut elements

Taste: The distinctively Scottish malt bill imparts buttery toffee and nut tones, with the rum flavors arriving in the middle; a hint of boozy warmth in the aftertaste

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation; a bit thin for a Wee Heavy, though the ABV is on the low end for the style, so I am not surprised

Overall: An excellent example of the benefits of pairing a rum barrel with the Wee Heavy style

3.77/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Got this as part of a wedding present from a friend. 330ml Label reads Oak Aged Beer Rum Finish, but the ABV is 6.8% and color of the beer looks the same as in the picture.

Appearance - Dark amber / garnet color melded with honey brown. 1 finger of head was poured into my pint glass and dissipated very quickly leaving a small wispy head on top and an nice ring around the edges of the glass. Some lacing left behind.

Smell - Toffee and vanilla as with many of the I&G offerings, but a subtle rum undertone blended with a faint earthy scent.

Taste - Pretty much like it smells, but also almost a rum and soda water mixed in there with the toffee and vanilla and caramel. Still pretty good. Vague spiciness, that doesn't really end up doing anything until the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Tastes slightly watery, with a deceptively carbonated feel that doesn't quite make it as rich and as creamy as you might think it is. Not quite as chewy as I remembered either. Still quite fine

Overall - Not quite as good as I remember it being as the richness I recall wasn't there this time around. Also while the rum finish does put a twist on the standard I&G, I don't think it makes it any better, but rather a bit worse. I'm thinking this one may have seen too much light. Nonetheless this is a fine beer that I will enjoy again at some point in the future.

4.25/5  rDev +13.9%

3.58/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer poured a dark tea color with a 1F head in a snifter.

The aroma wasn't intense as in other Innis & Gunn beers.
Strong oak, light rum and malt.

The mouth feel was very carbonated, perhaps too much for this style of beer.

The taste was strong oak with some rum and a mild alcoholic finish.
I was expecting more rum. The beer is not well-balanced for taste, and the rum should be more prominent.

A good beer, but not as enjoyable as other beers such as Innis & Gunn Canadian Cherrywood Finish and The Winter Beer 2012.

Best in an Imperial pint glass( I switched glasses mid- tasting) and colder- 40-42F.

4.25/5  rDev +13.9%

3.25/5  rDev -12.9%

4.5/5  rDev +20.6%

2.5/5  rDev -33%

3.5/5  rDev -6.2%

1.33/5  rDev -64.3%

WTF?!?!

I've tried to be as objective in my individual scores so the accumulative score might appear higher than what it should. WTFX2?

I picked one up because I had one of their glasses early on in my beer exploation days. I figured, hey... they gave me a free glass - I'll give their beer a shot. Although, even their bottle never captivated me.

Not to be redundant but WTF? It doesn't even taste like a beer. Perhaps an acquired taste?? Sweet, sparkling, cider? WTF? It's just wrong. Sorry Innis. All that Oak Aging gone to waste. Not for me, although I know some must appreciate you.

Rum Cask Oak Aged Beer from Innis & Gunn