Rum Cask Oak Aged Beer | Innis & Gunn

Added by brewdlyhooked13 on 10-21-2007

Ratings: 1,369 |  Reviews: 367
4.75/5  rDev +27.3%

3.37/5  rDev -9.7%

Pours a dark caramel color with about 1/2" of tan dense head. Tends to not dissipate at all.

The nose is very mild with some slight touch of caramel as well as the rum barrel.

Very sweet sipper, with some heat. Sugary caramel flavors come through mainly along with the flavors of some spiced rum. Really reminds me of a very "weak" rum and coke almost. I actually really like it.

The mouthfeel is very mild and not overly hot. Not enough dryness for me considering it was aged in rum barrels. Was hoping for a bit of drying on the finish and the alcohol to come through just a bit. Not bad though.

Overall, not a bad brew for a few bucks and on a whim. I'd definitely try it again.

4.25/5  rDev +13.9%

Pours a clean deep amber color with a light tan head. In the aroma, small alcohol notes, rum, and a small oak presence. In the taste, a sweet malt, and a small presence of rum and alcohol. A small bite and a medium bodied mouthfeel, with a small dry note of dark rum in the aftertaste. A bit sweeter in the wood than bourbon/ whiskey, but nice, nonetheless.

1.5/5  rDev -59.8%

3.75/5  rDev +0.5%

3.75/5  rDev +0.5%

3.5/5  rDev -6.2%

4.09/5  rDev +9.7%

Poured into a snifter glass. The head isnt that pronounced and off-white, but leaves a film and good lacing, the carbonation is quite lively and the beer is dark ruby/chestnut.

The nose here is quite interesting. It is very fresh and plummy, with plenty of spices and vanilla. All composed quite nicely.

Initial flavour is thick, plowing through a field of sticky caramel flavour. Tons of complexity going on in the back, remains to be quite vibrant despite the heavier flavours. A definite sweetness that is both toffee and molasses like. Beer has a 'sticky' flavour and lingers. Finish is quite dry with a roasted character.

As I said the beer drinks very full-bodied, it has a heavy syrupy, almost molasses quality of mouthfeel.

This is a big heavy beer. However, it remains really interesting. The sweetness and syrupiness are a bit too pronounced I find, but the do succeed in bringing some dark fruit and spice character to this beer. One to seek out and experience.

3.09/5  rDev -17.2%

A - Dark amber with a tight creams off-white head

S - Yeast and malt, hint of fruit... mild overall

T - Sweet caramel, fruit and malt

M - Medium coating with olny a hint of tingle on sides of tongue

O - Not bad but not something that I would grab for.

3.73/5  rDev 0%

I picked up a bottle of Innis & Gunn's Rum Cask Oak Aged Beer earlier this week for $2.69 at The Lager Mill. I have never seen or had a beer that has been aged in rum barrels and I'm interested to see how the flavors come together, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 11.2oz clear bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks good and it give this beer a classic and distinguished look. but I'm not really feeling the clear bottle. It poured a cola like brown color that took on some ruby hues when held to the light and it had three fingers worth of fluffy tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left some lacing. This is a good looking beer, but I wish it had a little better head retention.

S- The aroma starts off with tons of caramel malts that have a medium amount of sweetness and impart some light roasted malts, caramel, toffee, and some toasted bread aromas. After that I get a sweet fruity aroma similar to white grape and is is followed by some light woody aroma. Towards the end there's a little more sweetness but nothing that sticks out as being very rum like besides the sweetness. The aroma is ok but I expected more spicy rum aromas and a little less sweetness.

T- The taste is only a little similar to the aroma, it starts off with a goof amount of caramel malts that that have a high amount of medium sweetness and impart some caramel, toffee, toasted bread, and some more malty aromas. Next comes some more sweetness that has a brown sugar like flavor and is followed by some woody flavors and some sweet and medium spiced dark rum flavor that wasn't too strong, but wasn't too light ether, it could have shown up just a little more. Towards the end I get a slight amount of slightly warming alcohol with a lighter amount of bitterness, with a slightly boozy, malty and woody like aftertaste. This beer tasted good but I wish that the spiced rum flavors came through just a little more and that the sweetness was a little less.

M- Pretty smooth, a little chewy, mellow, medium bodied with a nice amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel worked well with this beer and it was much smoother then I was expected, pretty damn good.

Overall I thought that this was a good beer and it was a pretty good example of a barrel aged ale, it had good balance which made it good pretty smooth, but I wish the flavors were a little bolder, I wouldn't mind sacrificing a little bit of drinkability. This beer had great drinkability, I wasn't expecting it to go down smooth and quickly, the flavor held my attention and I would mind drinking more then a couple of these by the campfire. What I like most about this beer was the great mouthfeel and the great balance this beer had, that's what made this beer above average. What I liked least about this beer was that the rum wasn't as bold as I would like and it was a little too sweet, if those were worked on this would be a very good beer. I would buy this beer again when looking for an affordable and good barrel aged beer, I can see getting this often and I recommend giving this beer a try if barrel aged beers are your thing. This was my first rum barrel aged beer and my first beer from this brewery and I have to say that I was impressed and I'm interesting in checking more of there different beers out, good job guys, you can bet I will be a repeat customer.

4.03/5  rDev +8%

A: two finger head with lots of lacing on a very deep amber, almost red clear body.

S: lots of caramel malts, some toasted malts and woody notes. not getting much from the rum but what is there is sweet.

T: rum is very understated. nice malt profile. The finish has a subdued red-hot almost peppery spiciness. Nice oak notes.

M: medium body and moderate carbonation.

Overall: a good beer but the rum is understated more than I would like.

3.65/5  rDev -2.1%

This beer is very unusual. It has a rich amber appearance with little head and very light carbonation, making for a smooth and refreshing drink. It has a nice aroma of oak and rum, blended with a spicy and hoppy ale -- the flavor is the same. You can taste the rum, but peppery spice is my favorite part of this beer. This and the alcohol content makes this a perfect sipping beer, best served after a meal or paired with a cigar or pipe. This is not one that I would drink more than a glass or two in a sitting ~ because of the bold and rich flavor, not alcohol content.

2.25/5  rDev -39.7%