1. Introducing the Respect BeerĀ® Society. Upgrading your account to a Society membership entitles you to more than a dozen awesome perks, from discounts, to ad-free browsing, extended users stats, and much more. Join today.
  2. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

Innis & Gunn Canadian Cask - Scottish Oak Aged Beer | Innis & Gunn

Innis & Gunn Canadian Cask - Scottish Oak Aged BeerInnis & Gunn Canadian Cask - Scottish Oak Aged Beer
3.7/5

None provided.

View: Beers
Reviews by ChrisCage:
4.29/5  rDev +15.9%

Here's to Canada on it's 142nd!

A- This pours a dark coppery color with a reddish hue around the edges. Unfortunately there isn't much of a head....poured rather thin and it quickly disappears. It seems to have an oily look to it but doesn't really leave behind any lacing. Seems to be well carbonated. The packaging is very well done though!

S- Quite a range of aromas here....most of them sweet. I detect raisins right away, followed by malt, vanilla and toffee. I also smelled some wood from the oak barrels but it is a soft aroma. The alcohol is also somewhat present but it is also a limited aroma. I didn't detect any hop bitterness on the nose.

T- Again, this area is fairly sweet. The oaked character of the beer comes through first on the palate, and it gives way to the sweet malts and toffee flavors. The alcohol content is really well hidden in this beer, and it finishes smooth, with just a small citrus bitterness, probably from the hops, but it's slightly drying, I'm guessing from the wood.

M- .it's a decent medium bodied beer, with a good zing from the carbonation. It's buttery but finishes light and with a cleansing sensation...unique!

D- This is more refreshing than anything else I've had from I&G but I appreciate what it is and I'd enjoy this beer until I was good and corked! The alcohol is very muted and there's some nice flavor to be enjoyed, but not overwhelming. I will get more of this before it is gone.

3.61/5  rDev -2.4%

I enjoyed a bottle of this beer back in June, and was going to review it from notes, but instead decided to crack open my second bottle and review from a more recent tasting.

The beer pours a deep red, that shows nice copper tones when held to the light. The head is thick and foamy, but thins out to something less impressive after a few sips. A thin head remains throughout the drinking session. There is fairly good lacing, as well.

The nose carries aromas of toffee and malt. The tasting notes on the box claim that there is a hint of orange, but I personally cannot find it.

The taste is quite good. There is a noticeable sweetness that is pleasant rather than overpowering. Toffee flavours from the rye are quite evident and very enjoyable. There are also hints of oak and citrus. Very well-rounded and full-bodied, just like all Innis & Gunn brews.

Mouthfeel is smooth and light, with a very sweet and almost syrupy finish.

For a 7.1% ABV beer, this brew is surprisingly refreshing and very drinkable. It's definitely not a session beer, but it feels almost as though it could be. Be careful with this one, it goes down a bit too easy!

Overall, Innis & Gunn's Canadian Cask is a very enjoyable beer, and I hope that they'll make another batch for Canada Day 2010.

3.18/5  rDev -14.1%

Bottle shared with Steve, 2010 edition. Into a tulip.

Pours mahogany with some ruby highlights, foamy eggshell head. Light lacing. Nose has some light rum, molasses and mild butterscotch; in the same vein as most other Innis and Gunn offerings I've had. Taste has some light butter, rum, some toffee and a bit of light alcohol. Body is thin and almost watery, and has a light spicy and buttery finish. Drinkability is fairly low, certainly not a set of flavours I find too appealing. General indifference to this offering, and not something I'd likely revisit.

3.45/5  rDev -6.8%

I had one of the 2010 editions yesterday (as it WAS Canada Day). I didn't take any specific notes when I drank it (I was at a friend's place), but I can say this much:

I love Innis & Gunn's main beer, and I like what they do in general. So, my hopes were high for this. I liked the smell... I picked more raisin / date than orange out of it. The head was decent, and didn't stay high for very long. It was not as smooth as other I & G's. Had I paid more attention and taken more time (I didn't chug it by any means), maybe I would have liked it more... but, I just didn't. It was OK, but just. I liked parts of it, and others I didn't. If they made it again next year, I'd maybe get one... but if other new beers were there vying for my attention / dollars, I might skip it.

3.5/5  rDev -5.4%

This bottle had been in my fridge longer than the 71 days the beer was in the whiskey barrels - and that may not have been such a bright idea. Tan head dissipated quickly leaving an amber and chestnut hued beer. Hardly any lace or ring. Very little smell but for some patent leather and a trace of cherry whiskey aroma. Taste definately of whisky but not much of the barrel, I expected more vanilla and oak, this is kind of like lining up whisky shooters - to exaggerate a point. Thinner bodied than I expected too and there is alcohol heat in the rather abrupt finish. The beer was soon quite flat. With warming, a bit of butterscotch sweetness emerged but not enough to make me want to have another. I much prefer the other Innis & Gunn beers I've had previous to this one.

3.73/5  rDev +0.8%

A: poured a clear darkish red brown with a 2 finger off white head that didn't last to long with minimal lacing.

S: strong caramel notes, malts are there too with a very slight oaky/whiskey sent that is just hardly there at the end

T: starts strong caramel and malt then finishes sweet fruity with very little hopps. it leaves a very nice bitter dry taste like the original from the oak. but has a difference with a slight tingle in the back of the throat

M: medium bodied

D: it started out a little harsh but as it warmed it smoothed out and became very nice and easy to drink. not a session beer but very good none the less.

this was a very good beer i would recomend it to anyone who can get it. not 100% sure if i like it more or about the same as original.

3.45/5  rDev -6.8%

enjoying this one on my country's birthday. here goes,

Appearance - Pours a dark amber colour. About half an inch of white head which dissapears quickly leaving no trace.

Smell - Not getting alot smell wise. You can definately pick out the rye characteristics though. a little smoke, caramel

Taste - Similar to the smell. a little smoke, Oak, caramel, and hunny.

Mouthfeel - Mouthfeel is on the lighter side of medium, soft carbonation. long and wet finish.

Drinkability - If your a Rye/Whiskey/Scotch/Bourbon fan it might be worth giving it a shot. I'm likely to reach for a proper Whiskey than another on of these though.

3.75/5  rDev +1.4%

3.45/5  rDev -6.8%

Hmmm, Scottish (not English)ale and Canadian cask.
To start a slight whisky element on the nose this made a very light fluffy head. Amber brown in colour. A rather unusual morish flavour at first with very forward wood and a lingering almost malty smokey butteriness which lingers. Not unpleasant but certainly unique. Slightly on the fat side and that whisky element is always in the background creating some acidity. Its potency does come through in time as does its heaviness though it does improve in the glass as it is drunk. Interesting but if it wasn't for my curiosity I may have found this hard to finish.

4.7/5  rDev +27%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Why am I writing about last year's Canadian Cask? Well, I was able to get a bottle of the 2010 ahead of time, and just couldn't wait the 6 weeks to enjoy it. So I've already talked about the 2010 version. Besides, it was availbale at the LCBO 3 or 4 weeks ago anyways - so we've had had the chance. Plus, I specifically held on to one bottle of the 2009 last year so that I could embrace Canada Day with two version of its own beer and reflect on the year past, and dream for the year to come!

2009 was the very first year for Innis & Gunn's Special Edition Canadian Cask. It came in a 300ml bottle housed in a red box bearing Canada Day 2009 on the front. Only 150 barrels of this beer were produced, and they were of course only sent to Canada. Innis & Gunn brewed the beer with rye grains, and aged it in Canadian Whiskey Barrels, then matured it for a total of 71 days; brining it to 7.1% abv. What was produced was music to my palate then, but is now a magical symphony.

I opened the Canadian Flag Red box and gently slid the once dormant Canadian Cask out of its resting place. I poured it into a stemmed Innis & Gunn glass at a cool 8C (45F). The pour was smooth but rumbled with excitement as a darker than normal, creamy tan-brown head build almost immediately. Sowing the pour produced a ruby red crystal clear beer with rich golden browns, copper oranges and beaming rays and sunny yellows. A soft and airy, but dense 1 and a bit inch head was created - ummm.. Yes, I was very, very excited.

Leaning in for a nose brought classic Innis & Gunn flavors of toffee and caramel. But most evident on the nose was the unmistakable scent of whiskey soaked oak, and a tumbler of Crown Royal. Could this be? Really, I was amazing at the potency and also accuracy of the nose here. It didn't smell kind of like rye, it smelled like a creamy, soft and warm glass of rye. Honestly. Soft vanillas balanced with toffee, and beat away any brief scent of hops that may have existed. The nose was now a game of oak, char, whiskey, and rye grains.

The year has treated the Canadian cask apprizingly, and appetizingly well! The first thing that I noticed in the flavor perfectly mimicked the nose; a much richer and more prominent whiskey and oak character. Before, the oak was apparent, but was hiding behind the rye malt sweetness that I felt strongest in the beer. Now though, right away I am hit with the familiar sensations of aged rye whiskey. Now that I think hard about it... and go in for another sip... This 1 year old Innis & Gunn Canadian Cask could possibly display the leanest and most accurate rye whiskey flavors I have ever tasted in a beer!

A big imperial stout aged in rye is one thing - that can just be menacing and overpowering. But this '09 Canadian is shinning deep with smooth and mellow sweet flavors of charred oak, gentle sweet rye, and that honey and grain sweet rye whisky flavor that I love in Crown Royal and Wiser's Very Old.

The whole character of this beer now is improved well beyond its age. I am so, so happily surprised - party because of how magnificent this beer is now, but mainly because I have had a bad experience with a 1 year old Innis & Gunn. I aged the first batch of Rum Casks for 1 year and it came out of my cellar sour and just totally ruined. This though, this beautiful glowing amber gold beer has warmed my soul and lifted my spirits. I have many 2010′s, and I will be putting more than half my stash in the cellar after this genuinely astonishing experience.

Thank you Innis & Gunn. I hope you have the chance to experience what I just felt. Happy Canada Day!

3.68/5  rDev -0.5%

A: Pours a deep red/copper colour with a small white head. Settles to a thick ring and leaves thick lacing.

S: Smells of malty caramel and some vanilla. Also a bit of a whiskey smell to it.

T: Up front it's a vanilla and oak with Canadian whiskey. But as it progresses I get a caramel, toffee malt taste.

M: It's medium bodied with light to medium carbonation.

D: This is my favorite offering from Innis & Gunn. I love the transition of flavors in this one compared to say their original. This one is very drinkable you just have to be careful of the 7.1 Abv because you don't really detect any alcohol in this one.

4.25/5  rDev +14.9%

3.75/5  rDev +1.4%

4.65/5  rDev +25.7%

This beer is much like their rum aged beer, but with a taste of scotch instead, obviously.

Appearance is a bit lighter, but otherwise smell, taste and mouthfeel is comparable to the rum aged.

Delightful beer if you enjoy scotch (on the rocks it is awesome). If you are more of a rum person, check out their rum aged. Both of them impress.

Note: clear bottles enrage me. Order online or take them from a box, etc. to avoid light struck.

3.25/5  rDev -12.2%